Islam - co-existence, terrorism and reformation

banana

Poll  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Radical Islamic movements are nothing new, they’ve appeared again and again throughout history. Islamic political elites routinely employ Islam as a weapon to achieve their worldly objectives.
However, the goal of establishing a global caliphate stands squarely within the orthodox Islamic tradition, such that there is a clear relationship between fundamentalism, terrorism, and the basic assumptions of this orthodoxy. Some reflexively denounce any and all talk about such connections as de facto proof of 'Islamophobia'. This must end, a problem that is not acknowledged cannot be solved.
Individual Muslims who adhere to this view of Islam renders them incapable of living harmoniously and peacefully within the multi-cultural, multi-religious societies of the 21st century. Traditional Islam fosters an attitude of segregation and enmity toward non-Muslims.
Discuss.

It may rain today, winds expected to be around 15 mph, gusting to 20mph. Bring an umbrella. Cloudy with occasional sunshine.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Ham sandwich & a glass of red?

Correct.  But Halal ham and 'Prophet's Choice' red (the one with the drawing of Allah on the label).

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Bacon sandwich and a can of lager?

That's a bit proletarian tbh.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Correct.  But Halal ham and 'Prophet's Choice' red (the one with the drawing of Allah on the label).

Apparently there are parts of Iran that make excellent wine, maybe check those out.

That's a bit proletarian tbh.

You could do it ironically, like when hipsters wear flat caps and braces.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

You could do it ironically, like when hipsters wear flat caps and braces.

Sio I'm being fucking 'ironic' now am I?

1 minute ago, Brother Blades said:

I hope they've got the 91, great vintage.

I prefer the 72.

No, wait, that's the virgins in heaven...

2 hours ago, banana said:

Radical Islamic movements are nothing new, they’ve appeared again and again throughout history. Islamic political elites routinely employ Islam as a weapon to achieve their worldly objectives.

However, the goal of establishing a global caliphate stands squarely within the orthodox Islamic tradition, such that there is a clear relationship between fundamentalism, terrorism, and the basic assumptions of this orthodoxy. Some reflexively denounce any and all talk about such connections as de facto proof of 'Islamophobia'. This must end, a problem that is not acknowledged cannot be solved.

Individual Muslims who adhere to this view of Islam renders them incapable of living harmoniously and peacefully within the multi-cultural, multi-religious societies of the 21st century. Traditional Islam fosters an attitude of segregation and enmity toward non-Muslims.

Discuss.

Basing your view of a whole religion and its adherents on "radical" Islam is like basing your whole view of the UK on the fact that National Action and the BNP exist.

It's totally wrong - headed, pointless and absurd.

Your statement is also full of downright lies and basic misunderstandings.

Discussion over.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Question 2: I disagree. If we are taking "Orthodox Islam" to mean "Sunni", then this does not match my experiences of folk from that faith.

Question 3: I disagree there. The people who have that problem do not just have a problem with Muslims. They have a problem with almost everyone who is not white and christian, as well as having problems with many white christians who were not born in the UK or to British parents.

Question 2 is asking about Islam, not individual Muslims you might have met.

On questions 3, so you'd take it a step further than 'Islamophobia' and call concerns with a growing Muslim population xenophobia?

6 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Basing your view of a whole religion and its adherents on "radical" Islam is like basing your whole view of the UK on the fact that National Action and the BNP exist.

Your statement is also full of downright lies and basic misunderstandings.

That's not what my post is doing, it's drawing attention to the link between radicalism and orthodoxy, and therefore the need to reform that orthodoxy if radicalism is to see a decline.

Which lies and basic misunderstandings, exactly?

Archived