Clyde v Edinburgh

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edinburgh deserved to win the game they actually tried to play football and scored a couple of crackers showed great spirit

Not even sure if the DGW goal was over the line but glad he got reward for his effort

As for Chapman he told fans at the meeting he was going to boot the ball up the park to DGW complete football Dinosaur

Playing against a defensive minded team?
Playing against a packed defence?
Clyde's answer, punt it up the middle to the loan striker.
Genius!

I love the playing the ball along the back four to McNiff to aimlessly punt it up the middle.
It's as if the other defenders are unable to aimlessly punt it.

YAAAAAASSSSS

literally no idea who the lad that scored our first 2 is but he's clearly a future Ballon D'or winner

It was Abdelkarim ('Karim') Belmokhtar, a French guy who played for us as a trialist in a couple of pre-season matches. He signed as an amateur this week.

Where do you start with that mess?

Edinburgh did score with two great strikes though the first came after we'd missed about three tackles and the second was just criminal. After Nicoll conceded a cheap idiotic freekick, he and Wright/Cuddihy? switched off when Edinburgh took it quickly, missed their tackles when they did react and then the players covering behind them showed the striker onto his right foot to hit the shot.

We had no game plan other than to lump it forward and hope Goodwillie did something with it. Edinburgh, in fairness, handled Goodwillie very well and made use of us not pushing anyone else forward by putting two, or sometimes three men on him.

I'd love to know how many times McNiff and Nicoll gave the ball away today. When we're playing well we still play lots of long, direct balls forward but today McNiff just humped the ball away aimlessly time and time again, usually ignoring Stewart or a midfielder in the process. Also, Currie's long balls are so much better than McNiff's. Why do we insist he plays it short all the time for a worse player to play the long ball? Nicol wasn't much better, insisting on trying to head every single ball even when he had acres of space to bring it down.

Ironically, it would have been a game that suited Darren Miller. He could have played Nicoll's role but would have brought the ball down, recycled possession and could even have passed the ball to a players feet, which no one else was capable of doing.

Munro can have no complaints about his red card. He had to go for the ball to prevent a dangerous attack, and I'd happily have seen him pick up a yellow in that situation for a professional foul, but to clear straight through the back of a player like that is crazy. Incidentally, I thought just before that happened we got carried away pushing people forward for a winner and were begging to be hit on the counter attack.

The ball into the box for Edinburgh's third was the kind of ball their defence had dealt with easily all day, and we couldn't manage it once.

I wouldn't particularly blame Chapman for any of the goals we conceded, on the most part they were a result of multiple player errors but there's plenty of questions to be asked of him. The way we set about the first half was never going to be successful against a dogged Edinburgh side and we were little better in the second half. Trying to play Wright as a central midfielder was a terrible decision and he took far too long to change it.

As I said preseason, we are once again looking at another year without a left footed winger. If a team sit in the way Edinburgh did today you need to stretch them and we almost never got to the byline down our left side. Lamont/Wright always have to cut inside and Stewart sits back and almost never looks for an overlap. He's a good fullback but we need him to push forward far more than he does. I pray that Lowdon gets fit and hope he can be utilised in midfield.

On balance, Edinburgh were well worth at least a point, probably all three, they executed their game plan very well and being honest both of our goals looked pretty fortuitous as well.

Firstly, I'm a bit less angry than some. Perhaps because it's now hours after the game, perhaps because I wasn't daft enough to go to the match expecting it to be anything other than a scrappy dogfight. Perhaps because today's game means that any expectations of greater success are now firmly binned which relieves me of greater disappointment later on.

It wasn't the worst game ever as some hyperbolic Clyde fans are suggesting (we had three worse games against Edinburgh last season), but wasn't great either, at least in terms of quality. Within the match there were two great goals, a couple of late strikes, a red card, what should've been a red card and plenty of effort from both sides.  Laughable to suggest that Edinburgh tried to play football today (who cares given the three points) but why pick up on the obvious negatives when you can talk nonsense like that?

The only real positive is that we got another two goals and against an ultra defensive side I still always felt we'd get a couple of chances at 2-1 down. Last season if we went behind it was basically game over. If there's one thing to cling to amongst a set of shocking results (and that's what the defeats v Edinburgh, Elgin and Berwick have been), it's the fact that we're scoring goals. Criticising the long-ball etc is all well and good (and today it did go from a long ball game into McNiff aimlessly punting it nowhere in particular) but we're basically averaging a couple of goals a game so clearly it's working. Generally when we win the long ball, we then pass it reasonably well from inside the attacking third but there's no doubt we badly missed Ramsay today. Cuddihy was basically the only player making a direct effort to link with Goodwillie. Of course, we're now at the stage where we can only hope and prey that we stop shipping goals all over the shop; when the opposition basically attacks three times in the match and gets three goals, I'm at a loss to see how things will get better without wholesale changes in personnel. The fact that he didn't fix it at Annan tells me it won't happen here.

The other positive is perhaps the fact that some others are starting to see that Nicoll is exceptionally limited. Hopefully Chapman is as well. Atrocious headers aimed in no particular direction, stupid fouls costing us goals, passes straight to feet rather than into space. No leadership at crucial times. It's amazing what a couple of crunching tackles can do to cover up glaring deficiencies. From the starting eleven that played against Stirling he's actually the one I'd most like to replace.

Stewart continued his consistency and Breslin was decent in the main on the ball (both had very little defending to do). McNiff and Munro both defended Edinburgh's long ball well, and any crosses (until the final minute) but their distribution was poor, verging on embarrassing, and they didn't deal with the 9's quick feet. Cuddihy has had better games but did more good than bad. Showed off again his first touch into space and ability to follow his pass. He's not really a player to open a defence though in the way that Ramsay can. He didn't get much help from Burbidge, Wright and Nicoll either, who were all indecisive in possession and movement. Goodwillie played as well as he probably could have done and was a much bigger threat when Osolador was up with him. Duffie looked like when astronauts, freshly returned from the ISS, get taken out of their landing capsule and can't walk. Lowdon still can't be near fitness as today was crying out for a bit of natural width on the left.

The starting eleven didn't seem right and whilst I understand wanting to stick with the system from last week, Max Wright didn't look comfortable at all in central midfield. Lamont looked out of his depth without any room to run into. Given the chance again, I'm sure Chapman would've started with Osalodor. That said, we started with a decent level of energy and didn't look in any trouble at all until the equaliser. Second half we mixed it up with each substitution (not that it necessarily worked but at least he tried) and looked to have taken a point (which despite a sloppy performance would have been deserved) but for Munro's moment of madness.

The Edinburgh goalie had two terrific saves (early from Cuddihy, and then to touch Stewart's free kick onto the bar). Number 9 took his first goal well, appeared to take his second well (I, like the Clyde team, was asleep and  only saw the shot hitting the net) and his feet were outstanding all game even if he didn't threaten to go in behind. Clearly a good result for them, and no doubt a hugely enjoyable way to win the match.

The disappointing moment for me was when Thomson blatantly kicked the ball away having been booked; something a couple of other Edinburgh players did get a yellow for. It was a clear second yellow and red card at a time in the game where we were pressing for a winner. Not as clear as Munro's of course; an act of complete stupidity. I still have no idea why he felt the need to dive in like that. Only the other 10 players are to blame that it resulted in a winning goal of course; very little a manager can do to organise the team in that situation. 

Clearly we need another midfielder in to cover Miller's departure and Flynn's injury (and Ramsay?). Now short at centre half as well for the next two games; whilst Cowden aren't scoring goals we've got no chance against Templeman with one of Home/Nicoll/Breslin/Bradley alongside McNiff :lol:  Don't see where those players will come from at this stage. 

466 in the crowd. Sad times. When do we start thinking that this is our level? 

What an embarrassment of a performance. Hoofball to Goodwillie for 90 minutes. Only Goodwillie was trying in the team. Didn't think it was possible to find a worse captain than McGlaughlin but we've managed  it with Nicol, must have a head shaped like a 50 pence judging by his headers and passes like he's wearing 2 left wellies. Smarticus can't jump more than half an inch off the ground. Every time we try and stop an attack we just clear it straight back to them rather than find a Clyde player. ( been like this for months). Can't understand how they can play at Stirling a week earlier then go out and do this woeful garbage against Edinburgh. A shocking performance , going to be a long season with Hoofball Chapman in charge.  If that's not bad enough the half time music would pickle your brain.

It was Abdelkarim ('Karim') Belmokhtar, a French guy who played for us as a trialist in a couple of pre-season matches. He signed as an amateur this week.

I missed all the pre season games so that makes sense. 6 points on the board already, giddy stuff this

Firstly, I'm a bit less angry than some. Perhaps because it's now hours after the game, perhaps because I wasn't daft enough to go to the match expecting it to be anything other than a scrappy dogfight. Perhaps because today's game means that any expectations of greater success are now firmly binned which relieves me of greater disappointment later on.
It wasn't the worst game ever as some hyperbolic Clyde fans are suggesting (we had three worse games against Edinburgh last season), but wasn't great either, at least in terms of quality. Within the match there were two great goals, a couple of late strikes, a red card, what should've been a red card and plenty of effort from both sides.  Laughable to suggest that Edinburgh tried to play football today (who cares given the three points) but why pick up on the obvious negatives when you can talk nonsense like that?
The only real positive is that we got another two goals and against an ultra defensive side I still always felt we'd get a couple of chances at 2-1 down. Last season if we went behind it was basically game over. If there's one thing to cling to amongst a set of shocking results (and that's what the defeats v Edinburgh, Elgin and Berwick have been), it's the fact that we're scoring goals. Criticising the long-ball etc is all well and good (and today it did go from a long ball game into McNiff aimlessly punting it nowhere in particular) but we're basically averaging a couple of goals a game so clearly it's working. Generally when we win the long ball, we then pass it reasonably well from inside the attacking third but there's no doubt we badly missed Ramsay today. Cuddihy was basically the only player making a direct effort to link with Goodwillie. Of course, we're now at the stage where we can only hope and prey that we stop shipping goals all over the shop; when the opposition basically attacks three times in the match and gets three goals, I'm at a loss to see how things will get better without wholesale changes in personnel. The fact that he didn't fix it at Annan tells me it won't happen here.
The other positive is perhaps the fact that some others are starting to see that Nicoll is exceptionally limited. Hopefully Chapman is as well. Atrocious headers aimed in no particular direction, stupid fouls costing us goals, passes straight to feet rather than into space. No leadership at crucial times. It's amazing what a couple of crunching tackles can do to cover up glaring deficiencies. From the starting eleven that played against Stirling he's actually the one I'd most like to replace.
Stewart continued his consistency and Breslin was decent in the main on the ball (both had very little defending to do). McNiff and Munro both defended Edinburgh's long ball well, and any crosses (until the final minute) but their distribution was poor, verging on embarrassing, and they didn't deal with the 9's quick feet. Cuddihy has had better games but did more good than bad. Showed off again his first touch into space and ability to follow his pass. He's not really a player to open a defence though in the way that Ramsay can. He didn't get much help from Burbidge, Wright and Nicoll either, who were all indecisive in possession and movement. Goodwillie played as well as he probably could have done and was a much bigger threat when Osolador was up with him. Duffie looked like when astronauts, freshly returned from the ISS, get taken out of their landing capsule and can't walk. Lowdon still can't be near fitness as today was crying out for a bit of natural width on the left.
The starting eleven didn't seem right and whilst I understand wanting to stick with the system from last week, Max Wright didn't look comfortable at all in central midfield. Lamont looked out of his depth without any room to run into. Given the chance again, I'm sure Chapman would've started with Osalodor. That said, we started with a decent level of energy and didn't look in any trouble at all until the equaliser. Second half we mixed it up with each substitution (not that it necessarily worked but at least he tried) and looked to have taken a point (which despite a sloppy performance would have been deserved) but for Munro's moment of madness.
The Edinburgh goalie had two terrific saves (early from Cuddihy, and then to touch Stewart's free kick onto the bar). Number 9 took his first goal well, appeared to take his second well (I, like the Clyde team, was asleep and  only saw the shot hitting the net) and his feet were outstanding all game even if he didn't threaten to go in behind. Clearly a good result for them, and no doubt a hugely enjoyable way to win the match.
The disappointing moment for me was when Thomson blatantly kicked the ball away having been booked; something a couple of other Edinburgh players did get a yellow for. It was a clear second yellow and red card at a time in the game where we were pressing for a winner. Not as clear as Munro's of course; an act of complete stupidity. I still have no idea why he felt the need to dive in like that. Only the other 10 players are to blame that it resulted in a winning goal of course; very little a manager can do to organise the team in that situation. 
Clearly we need another midfielder in to cover Miller's departure and Flynn's injury (and Ramsay?). Now short at centre half as well for the next two games; whilst Cowden aren't scoring goals we've got no chance against Templeman with one of Home/Nicoll/Breslin/Bradley alongside McNiff [emoji38]  Don't see where those players will come from at this stage. 
466 in the crowd. Sad times. When do we start thinking that this is our level? 

Edinburgh did try and pass the ball at times no there weren't a silky football team a big strong well organised team two cracking goals.
We didn't even attempt to pass the ball long aimless punts to nobody and when we did hit DGW he had 3 defenders around him
The midfield were largely bypassed mind you when they did get the ball they simply gave it away
Been a critic of breslin but thought he did ok at least the boy was trying to pass to his own players
You can single out individual players all you like. But the style of play / team selection dictated by the manager is frankly woeful

DGW saved us from the play offs last year and in my opinion has prevented us from being bottom of the league this season take him out of that team and we are relegation fodder

Never keen on Chapman appointment will more than likely keep us up ( providing DGW stays fit or doesn't leave at Xmas) other than that the football on display will simply see crowds drop even more

The disappointing moment for me was when Thomson blatantly kicked the ball away having been booked; something a couple of other Edinburgh players did get a yellow for. It was a clear second yellow and red card at a time in the game where we were pressing for a winner.

Nor did he book any City player for leaving the field of play when they scored.

Nor did he book the City player for two obvious kicks at Ferguson in the space of two seconds.

The time wasting by Edinburgh City from early in the game was a disgrace. Every Clyde free kick, the player would kick it away or pick it up, another would stand in front of the ball.

It was up to the referee to put an end to this and he didn't. Quite the contrary, by not using his book more, he encouraged it.

I would also like to say that if Monro deserved to be sent off, I look forward to similar tackles on our strikers resulting in many red cards in the matches to come. Thus far, these tackles have happened but the red cards haven't.

Anyone who was at Elgin and saw a much worse tackle on Osadolor will testify to that.

With regard to the Clyde performances, I do not mind the long ball game if its played properly.

One important factor in the long ball game is hitting your strikers or space for them to run into. Yesterday we just punted it anywhere. Why do we give it to McNiff to do this? Breslin, to me looks the better passer of the ball.

Nicholl also needs to be told that you are allowed to header the ball to a team mate. It is not good play to header the ball as far as possible (in his case vertically).

All in all, shit match, shit day and a shit dinner.

Thanks Clyde! (dinner excluded)

After last week's great win at Stirling this was a huge disappointment. Chapman should know by now how Edinburgh play and the long ball punt up to Goodwillie played right into their hands. It was only when we went with wing backs that I thought we looked like causing them some problems.

The no9 for Edinburgh looks a decent find, strong quick feet and pin point accuracy for both goals. The Clyde defence had to make more of an effort to shrug him off the ball. After he pinged one in during the first half I couldn't believe we let him do it again. Munro was an idiot to get sent off was a needless tackle. Absolutely embarrassing that we could deal with the cross for Beattie's goal.

Struggling to find anyone in a Clyde shirt who played well. Goodwillie was well marshaled by the Edinburgh defence and I have no idea why he kept standing offside at every free kick we had as it meant he had to run away from goal to get back onside.

Lamont, Burbidge both looked poor after playing well at Stirling.

That's four times now we have been involved in a 3-2 score line losing twice in stoppage time. I think we are far too inconsistent to be troubling either end of the table.

Archived