The Relegation Rumble - DFC vs BCFC

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Froxy the hero again then?

Despite Aitken pushing him out wide and nullifying his creativity he still managed to grab himself the winner. Cult hero status confirmed.

Aitken should be going into the Brechin dressing room and shaking the hand of the lad who got sent off. We deserved nothing. Tactically woeful, technically awful and clearly undetermined. After the red card, Stewart took his goal incredibly well and actually seemed to work a bit when he came on. Morrison tried his best but his service was woeful. We brought on Nade and bizarrely stopped lumping long balls but Nade played a perfect cross for Froxy to score the winner.

Get out of jail card played. Serious thought required from the management and a fucking gameplan required! 2-1 victory disguises a truly awful performance for 70 minutes. Nade needs to play if we go 1 up top. Froxy needs to play in the middle and we need to pray that any 2 of Wilson, Hutton or Carswell show up on any given day because they are easily the most inconsistent players we've had at this level. I'm frustrated and delighted in equal measure. Weird feeling.

4 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

How were City ?

Pretty uninspiring, but not unsurprisingly. We were pretty bad today, but the 2 single pieces of quality that we made in the game won us it. The sending off 100% made a difference, but apart from the goal early on Brechin never done anything of any significant note.

14 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

How were City ?

Looked good defensively. Solid and well organised, whilst Graeme Smith was fantastic between the sticks. Things seemed a bit less inspiring further forward, but overall you looked reasonable enough. I've certainly seen far, far worse sides in this league and, but for the red card, you lot would probably have been deservedly celebrating a victory tonight.

1 minute ago, cameron2000 said:

To be fair I'd say over the past couple of years Nick Walsh has impressed me more than any other Ref I've seen.

Described me as "a role model to the class" in my S5 report.

The man can do no wrong in my eyes.

10 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Pretty uninspiring, but not unsurprisingly. We were pretty bad today, but the 2 single pieces of quality that we made in the game won us it. The sending off 100% made a difference, but apart from the goal early on Brechin never done anything of any significant note.

True to a point, they had one cleared off the line by Hill in the second half and had that gone in we really couldn't complain. Up until the red card they were giving everything we weren't. They were organised and hard working when we were laboured and clueless. Luckily we've got away with it with 2 pieces of quality, we won't be that lucky again.

We were cruising until the sending off and looked likely to add to our score. No complaints about the sending off. Lynas overran the ball and stretched late into the guy. Thought your no 55 was all over our forwards at every high ball but never penalised for it. Obviously we're gutted at losing a game we controlled for so long but we can be our own worst enemies at times.

We were cruising until the sending off and looked likely to add to our score. No complaints about the sending off. Lynas overran the ball and stretched late into the guy. Thought your no 55 was all over our forwards at every high ball but never penalised for it. Obviously we're gutted at losing a game we controlled for so long but we can be our own worst enemies at times.

That's exactly what we get every week with nade, referees favour the defender it seems, but I thought today they were nothing more than a good tussle. Froxylicious and nade, fantastic outstanding.

That wasn't really a game of 2 halves as we were dire until Nade came on.

The early goal was a combination of decent attacking play by Brechin and woeful defending by us. Keeper should have possibly done better but we didnt exactly make it difficult for the Brechin player to get his shot away. 1-0 up so early in the game shouldn't have been such a huge problem but Brechin rightly packed the midfield and made it very difficult for us. We showed a complete ineptitude when it comes to creating chances. The 2 best chances of the first half were from a long range shot from Boomer that produced a decent save from the Brechin keeper and an effort from a corner/cross where he made himself big for a shot he probably didnt know a lot about and we tragically failed to get the goal mouth scramble on target.

The red card was an easy decision. It wasnt a malicious tackle but it was a straight leg and his studs were showing. Perhaps the wet pitch made it worse but he was never in control of the tackle and it was reckless. It's a red card all day long. I thought the ref had a decent game. He wasn't overly fussy and got the bookings right. He got the red card spot on.

Brechin looked very comfortable when we had Morrison up front. The big centre half had him in his pocket all game. We can't play long balls like that for Morrison to try to win. He's not a big, physical centre forward and isnt going to win those battles with defenders. The long diagonals were also well off the mark. The full backs were finding it too easy to come inside a few yards to cut out the pass before it reached our wide men. Tom Walsh isnt a traditional winger. He's not good enough at getting beyond people and I don't think his crossing is good enough. He never looks up for the battle with the full back. Similarly, Davie Smith is far better at right back than he is as a winger. He's got the engine to avoid being caught out of position and his crossing isnt exposed playing deeper. I thought our midfield was far too deep and very static. Any time we had the ball there was a Brechin player pressing us to try to win it back. When Brechin had the ball we sat off them and gifted them time and space. Carswell clearly isnt fit but even before he went off with the knock I thought he looked particularly poor. He just didnt look interested. Wilson did look up for it but his first touch is poor and his passing is often atrocious.

The bright spark for Dumbarton was clearly the introduction of Nade. I actually think he's a really smart player. His positioning is good and he has a nice touch. He played a huge role in setting up both goals. The little chest to Stewart was nice and it was a good finish from Mark Stewart to get us level. His positioning in the lead up to the Froxy winner was really good. He found space, did well with the ball and delivered a lovely pass for Froxy to finish.

Clearly we need to be better. We were 2nd best for probably 60-65 minutes of the game. The early goal really seemed to set us back and allowed Brechin to play the game on their terms. A bit more ambition from Brechin at 1-0 and perhaps they'd have killed the game with a 2nd goal? They just seemed far too happy to defend their 1-0 lead, Nade's introduction changed the game and at 1-1 they started to look a bit vulnerable. We finished the game strongly and deserved both goals. It would be impossible to say that they came against the run of play because at that point we had started to threaten. Ultimately Brechin's refusal to try to kill the game by going for a 2nd probably cost them something as at 2-0 we'd have been dead and buried.

Archived