Newton

The "young" Stranraer are a good blend of youth and experience and will beat any team in the South when they finish with 11 players! Good to see so many close games this season.

Just need Saints to become competitive now. 

16 hours ago, SaintMan said:

After three attempts, Newton have failed to beat a young Stranraer team (lost 2, drew1) which quite amazes me with team and experience they have.

Stranraer are a good side. Stranraer have at least 5 players from the Wigtown side that was so successful over the last couple of seasons as well as players that have been playing in the south for a good few years now. I was very impressed the 'young' Alistair McColm who played upfront on Friday night. Will be surprised if he isn't involved with the first team by the end of the season. 

It would appear that Stranraer have got their game together and now realise that they're in an adult league as some of the younger members of the squad are just out of the development leagues. Toughened up if you like.

To be honest they were by far the superior team on Friday vs Newton with young McColm up front and Baxter playing in off the left tearing apart the Newton defence from the first minute to last. Newton's goal was well worked from them and Stranraer's keeper made 2 or 3 important saves but in reality Stranraer should probably have scored 6 or 7.

Gary McCutcheon ran the game from centre mid (not for the first time this season) and having a few more senior players like Buff in the squad seems to have helped the younger members of the stranraer team.

I can't see many teams looking forward to playing them this season

37 minutes ago, Theunchosen1 said:

It would appear that Stranraer have got their game together and now realise that they're in an adult league as some of the younger members of the squad are just out of the development leagues. Toughened up if you like.

To be honest they were by far the superior team on Friday vs Newton with young McColm up front and Baxter playing in off the left tearing apart the Newton defence from the first minute to last. Newton's goal was well worked from them and Stranraer's keeper made 2 or 3 important saves but in reality Stranraer should probably have scored 6 or 7.

Gary McCutcheon ran the game from centre mid (not for the first time this season) and having a few more senior players like Buff in the squad seems to have helped the younger members of the stranraer team.

I can't see many teams looking forward to playing them this season

In regards to the "6 or 7" reference I disagree. Stranraer kept the ball well and pressed well. Apart from the first goal (2nd was from outside the box), from what I remember Stranraer only had two clear cut chances (as did Newton). Stranraer fully deserved the win, good luck in the next round. 

In regards to the "6 or 7" reference I disagree. Stranraer kept the ball well and pressed well. Apart from the first goal (2nd was from outside the box), from what I remember Stranraer only had two clear cut chances (as did Newton). Stranraer fully deserved the win, good luck in the next round. 

Purely from what i witnessed, McCutcheon was unlucky not to get himself a couple of goals and there were other opportunities granted for both teams. Cracking game to showcase the south league in any case

Sensible refereeing by Findlay Currie on Sat at Blairmount.Annan has a good young team but some of them are a bit young and light and a good firm tackle was apt to knock them over. The ref took this into consideration and the Annan players realised this as well. More than some of the spectators! 

Archived