SPFL 2 League Stats

In case anyone is interested, I have captured information on weekly league positions, game stats and line ups and produced the following analysis for the four SPFL leagues.  The landing page is the Premiership, but you can filter it for the other 3 leagues as well.

If you hover over a particular team in any given week in the “2017/18 League Table By Week”, it will give you additional information about the game for that week.  And if you click on that week, the line up table on the right hand side will show you the team for that game, who scored, who was booked or sent off.

You can filter the middle table to see various statistics for each team over the season.  Just a note about the attendance option.  Obviously, a team only plays at home every second week or so.  However, this meant that the graph would go down to zero for every second week, which made it look a mess!  Therefore, I took the attendance of the previous home game for the next away game, to show a meaningful trend line.  I can’t find the attendance for the Stenny game at the weekend, so that is currently showing at zero.

I have taken the statistics for each game from the BBC report on each game.  However, these sometimes vary wildly from the stats on the SPFL website!  Also, there is a lot of copying and pasting, so it is possible I could have entered the wrong data somewhere along the line, so double check the info with another source if you are going to be using it for anything.

Link to League Stats

I’ll try to keep the analysis up to date throughout the season, so you can check the same link on a weekly basis to see the progress each team is making.

SPFL stats are compiled by psychopaths. Yesterday Clyde managed to get 14 of their total of 12 shots on target; an incredible 117% success rate. Only one of those shots was saved.

BBC probably a bit more reliable.

39 minutes ago, David W said:

SPFL stats are compiled by psychopaths. Yesterday Clyde managed to get 14 of their total of 12 shots on target; an incredible 117% success rate. Only one of those shots was saved.

The SPFL OS and the BBC get their stats from the same company.

7 hours ago, David W said:

Clyde had 3 goals + 12 shots = 14 shots on target + 1 shot off target. Courtesy of SPFL.

So the three goals weren't shots? And what about the 10 shots on target that weren't saved? And the fact that literally nobody who was at the game would claim those numbers are anything other than complete nonsense?

2 hours ago, David W said:

So the three goals weren't shots? And what about the 10 shots on target that weren't saved? And the fact that literally nobody who was at the game would claim those numbers are anything other than complete nonsense?

They were goals therefore they are not counted in the shots category, they are only counted in one category. 10 on target that were saved, blocked?

Why would goals not be counted in the shots category [emoji38]

And we had more than 1 shot off target. For a start, we hit the woodwork twice; or do they not record that as a shot for some reason?

The obvious off target attempts by Lamont and Miller too.

For a national broadcaster, their coverage of the lower leagues is dismal.

• 2 months later...

I have added a filter to the stats database so you can now pull out your own team.

Firstly, filter by the League your team is in, then filter by your team.

If you are looking for a lineup for a particular game, simply locate the relevant week the game took place in the 2017/18 League Table By Week graph and click on the club badge.  This will filter the lineup just for that game.  If you hover over the club badge, it will also tell you the score for that week and how many points your team had at that stage in the season.

Link

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Stats are updated after this weekend’s games.

For some reason, the BBC stopped collecting stats for the Scottish lower leagues in February.  They are now collecting them again.  The upshot is that I had to take the stats from the SPFL website for most of February.  Some of the stats were “interesting” shall we say!

Link

• 1 month later...

Title parties don’t happen in Montrose too often!  But there is one happening this season.  They clung on at the top to pip Peterhead to the title.

At the other end, the writing has been on the wall for Cowdenbeath for a lot of the season.

Relive your team’s progress with this analysis – just choose SPFL 2 in the filter.

SPFL 2 Stats

Smith is a popular name in Scottish football and is the top surname in SPFL 2 based on appearance time.  The top 3 is:

Smith – 16,296 minutes
Fleming – 7,961 minutes
Brown – 6,495 minutes

Archived