SPFL 1 League Stats

In case anyone is interested, I have captured information on weekly league positions, game stats and line ups and produced the following analysis for the four SPFL leagues.  The landing page is the Premiership, but you can filter it for the other 3 leagues as well.

If you hover over a particular team in any given week in the “2017/18 League Table By Week”, it will give you additional information about the game for that week.  And if you click on that week, the line up table on the right hand side will show you the team for that game, who scored, who was booked or sent off.

You can filter the middle table to see various statistics for each team over the season.  Just a note about the attendance option.  Obviously, a team only plays at home every second week or so.  However, this meant that the graph would go down to zero for every second week, which made it look a mess!  Therefore, I took the attendance of the previous home game for the next away game, to show a meaningful trend line.  I can’t find the attendance for the Stenny game at the weekend, so that is currently showing at zero.

I have taken the statistics for each game from the BBC report on each game.  However, these sometimes vary wildly from the stats on the SPFL website!  Also, there is a lot of copying and pasting, so it is possible I could have entered the wrong data somewhere along the line, so double check the info with another source if you are going to be using it for anything.

Link To League Stats

I’ll try to keep the analysis up to date throughout the season, so you can check the same link on a weekly basis to see the progress each team is making.

• 2 weeks later...
In case anyone is interested, I have captured information on weekly league positions, game stats and line ups and produced the following analysis for the four SPFL leagues.  The landing page is the Premiership, but you can filter it for the other 3 leagues as well.

If you hover over a particular team in any given week in the “2017/18 League Table By Week”, it will give you additional information about the game for that week.  And if you click on that week, the line up table on the right hand side will show you the team for that game, who scored, who was booked or sent off.

You can filter the middle table to see various statistics for each team over the season.  Just a note about the attendance option.  Obviously, a team only plays at home every second week or so.  However, this meant that the graph would go down to zero for every second week, which made it look a mess!  Therefore, I took the attendance of the previous home game for the next away game, to show a meaningful trend line.  I can’t find the attendance for the Stenny game at the weekend, so that is currently showing at zero.

I have taken the statistics for each game from the BBC report on each game.  However, these sometimes vary wildly from the stats on the SPFL website!  Also, there is a lot of copying and pasting, so it is possible I could have entered the wrong data somewhere along the line, so double check the info with another source if you are going to be using it for anything.

Link To League Stats

I’ll try to keep the analysis up to date throughout the season, so you can check the same link on a weekly basis to see the progress each team is making.

Keeping stats as well. Had difficulty getting the Stenny v Cowdenbeath attendance but it was apparently 406 if that helps. Couldn't find the Celtic v St Johnstone attendance anywhere though.
Good job.

On 9/18/2017 at 23:21, m4d said:

Keeping stats as well. Had difficulty getting the Stenny v Cowdenbeath attendance but it was apparently 406 if that helps. Couldn't find the Celtic v St Johnstone attendance anywhere though.
Good job.

Thanks for the Stenny attendance - I couldn't find it anywhere!

I got the Celtic - St Johnstone attendance from the BBC website.  It had it at 58,446

Thanks for the Stenny attendance - I couldn't find it anywhere!

I got the Celtic - St Johnstone attendance from the BBC website.  It had it at 58,446

Saw that on your page. Thought I'd looked there but didn't see it. Thank "Cowdenbeath" for the stenny attendance.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Why are you so reluctant? Since those selfish gits at Statto.com pulled the plug my life has been less full. Was it you that did similar good work during the election?

Don't know about good lol, but I did do some stats during the election!

Ayrmad - yeah I'll have to think about how I re-arrange it as more games are played so it continues to fit in width-wise.  Think height-wise it looks OK, but it probably just a personal preference

4 hours ago, Reluctant Hero said:

Don't know about good lol, but I did do some stats during the election!

Ayrmad - yeah I'll have to think about how I re-arrange it as more games are played so it continues to fit in width-wise.  Think height-wise it looks OK, but it probably just a personal preference

Do you scrape your data from other sites?

3 hours ago, Reluctant Hero said:

That's what I should really do!  However, I spend hours copying and pasting the data!

It won't be close to the amount of hours I spend gathering data and deconstructing it, I've got data coming out my arse on certain sports.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have added a filter to the stats database so you can now pull out your own team.

Firstly, filter by the League your team is in, then filter by your team.

If you are looking for a lineup for a particular game, simply locate the relevant week the game took place in the 2017/18 League Table By Week graph and click on the club badge.  This will filter the lineup just for that game.  If you hover over the club badge, it will also tell you the score for that week and how many points your team had at that stage in the season.

Link

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Stats are updated after this weekend’s games.

For some reason, the BBC stopped collecting stats for the Scottish lower leagues in February.  They are now collecting them again.  The upshot is that I had to take the stats from the SPFL website for most of February.  Some of the stats were “interesting” shall we say!

Anyway, I hope this analysis shows your team careering up the league (just like County are about to do :) )

Link

• 1 month later...

It has been a totally exciting title race this season between Ayr Utd and Raith Rovers.

Believe it or not, Albion Rovers were in the mix back in September and October.  After starting the season bottom, they avoided the position again all season, climbing as high as third, before sadly finishing bottom.

Relive how your team’s season panned out ( if you can face it! ) by this analysis. Just choose SPFL 1 in the filter.

SPFL 1 Stats

Everyone has stats on goals, bookings etc, but the top 3 surnames in SPFL 1 by appearance time are:

Robertson - 7,684 minutes

Thomson - 6,276 minutes

Davidson - 5,169 minutes

31 minutes ago, Reluctant Hero said:

Everyone has stats on goals, bookings etc, but the top 3 surnames in SPFL 1 by appearance time are:

Thomson - 6,276 minutes

Davidson - 5,169 minutes

Great stats by the way. I never realised they were here until now!

Are those appearance times not a bit high?

36 games x 93 mins (assuming the usual extra time) = 3,348 mins. That's also if someone played every minute. 

1 hour ago, Reluctant Hero said:

It has been a totally exciting title race this season between Ayr Utd and Raith Rovers.

Believe it or not, Albion Rovers were in the mix back in September and October.  After starting the season bottom, they avoided the position again all season, climbing as high as third, before sadly finishing bottom.

Relive how your team’s season panned out ( if you can face it! ) by this analysis. Just choose SPFL 1 in the filter.

SPFL 1 Stats

Thomson - 6,276 minutes

Davidson - 5,169 minutes

Interesting to see the league tables over the season. Apart from the first quarter where teams tend to jump up and down the league a fair bit over the weeks, almost every team has stayed within a very small section of the league. Since week 15 of the season:

Ayr didn't move from 1st - 2nd
Raith didn't move from 1st - 2nd
Alloa didn't move from 3rd - 5th
Arbroath didn't move from 3rd - 5th
Stranrear didn't move from 3rd - 6th
East Fife didn't move from 5th - 7th
Airdrie didn't move from 6th - 8th
Forfar didn't move from 8th - 10th
QP didn't move from 9th - 10th
Albion Rovers didn't move from 7th - 10th

Stranrear and Albion Rovers are the only two teams who moved around over a range of more than 3 places. OK, 15 games is almost the halfway point but I'd have thought that would be reasonably unusual for L1 at least where it seems like some teams can go on big winning or losing streaks and change position quite dramatically over the season.

Edit: A check of the same stats for L2 showed the majority of teams did move about a lot more from week 15-36. Stirling, Peterhead, Stenny, Elgin, Berwick and Clyde all moved about by more than 3 spots.

Archived