Pars vs St Mirren

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Well if it's appealing when you don't think you genuinely have a case but are doing so to basically avoid the punishment it's hard to call it otherwise IMO. I think you can get fined and even a longer ban for making what the SFA call a "frivolous" appeal but who knows when it comes to that lot.

We're fucking minted, it's fine. 

(I broadly agree with you, in fairness.)

In St Mirren's favour, the ref and linesman had a much better view. The camera angle suggests it's only a bit of mild eye gouging.

We got a Joe Cardle red card overturned a couple of seasons back, the justification seemingly that he hadn't hit the Ayr player hard enough in the face to warrant him collapsing. When comparing the video evidence to the punch with which he had felled another Ayr player in an earlier fixture this punch was a mere tickle so the red was rescinded. 

As has been explained pretty clearly, we've appealed it so he's available for the weekend, slightly averting a defensive crisis.

Appeals are heard on Thursdays are they not? Pretty sure this has been in place for a couple of years, to stop teams doing this. I remember us appealing a Cardle red card, and it was dealt with before the next weekend. That was 2 years ago.

I could be wrong though and it may be fortnightly meetings or something?

4 minutes ago, CallumPar said:
16 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:
As has been explained pretty clearly, we've appealed it so he's available for the weekend, slightly averting a defensive crisis.

Appeals are heard on Thursdays are they not? Pretty sure this has been in place for a couple of years, to stop teams doing this. I remember us appealing a Cardle red card, and it was dealt with before the next weekend. That was 2 years ago.

I could be wrong though and it may be fortnightly meetings or something?

That's my understanding as well - submit appeal by Tuesday with hearing/decision on the Thursday.

Fair enough, happy to admit I was wrong on that one then :)

...And I can't therefore see why we've bothered as it looked like a stick-on red to me. Can't raise your hands to a player's face in any circumstances. I don't believe it was an eye gouge, though, just an aggressive facial manhandling. Still a red, by any measure.

27 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fair enough, happy to admit I was wrong on that one then :)

...And I can't therefore see why we've bothered as it looked like a stick-on red to me. Can't raise your hands to a player's face in any circumstances. I don't believe it was an eye gouge, though, just an aggressive facial manhandling. Still a red, by any measure.

This kind of thing happens pretty frequently and most of the time it doesn't warrant a red.

Did Stokes not grab someone by the throat at Ibrox earlier this season and wasn't even yellow carded for it?

I think it's a fair shout to appeal, but it'll probably be knocked back sadly.

Given Jack Ross had to serve a punishment for pointing out the rules to the same ref only three weeks ago I'd imagine the chances of overturning this are low.

At least we've not gone all 'Dundee United' and tried to get the Dunfermline player in to trouble for the elbow.

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

This kind of thing happens pretty frequently and most of the time it doesn't warrant a red.

Did Stokes not grab someone by the throat at Ibrox earlier this season and wasn't even yellow carded for it?

I think it's a fair shout to appeal, but it'll probably be knocked back sadly.

Given Jack Ross had to serve a punishment for pointing out the rules to the same ref only three weeks ago I'd imagine the chances of overturning this are low.

At least we've not gone all 'Dundee United' and tried to get the Dunfermline player in to trouble for the elbow.

Pretty sure that's because the referee didn't see it. There must have been about 12 players within a 5-yard radius with several players pushing and shoving. 

Eckersley appeal rejected, obviously.

He should be fined by the club, he's left you in a pretty shite defensive situation, as well as Buchanan.

51 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I could understand the appeal if the loophole was still in place to be exploited but given that it's not that was an incredible waste of time and money tbh. It was clearly a red ffs. 

Yeah it was a red. Always worth a go, we've got off with it before but with Thomson got the Old Firm game there was no chance! 

On an aside - I do hate the "raised his arms he's got to go".  Too many red cards in football nowadays. Other sports seem better able to deal with guys, with adrenaline, pushing and shoving without dismissing them. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yip. If Jack Ross had to serve a suspension a few weeks previously for pointing out the same ref had forgotten the rules about what happened after a player had received treatment, then this was never going to get overturned.

It's well known Thomson is/was a Saints fan, and so I think he goes out of his way to show that he doesn't favour us during games.

He's reffed two of our 6 league games so far and sent off three players and our manager.

I just with the people who appoint refs would realise it's not easy for him and not put him in a such a difficult position - at least not so often!

Archived