Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

I think you need to find out what an analogy is. You posed a question and I responded.

Do you genuinely believe Catalonia doesn't have the resources to hold a referendum on 1 October?

I genuinely believe that the Catalan Government does not have the resources to hold a referendum without the assistance of municipal authorities.

11 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

So when Catalonia declares independence from Spain will you consider Catalonia to be part of Spain?.

It won't. Even if it did after a thoroughly organised and legal referendum available to all, then it would be up to Catalonians and the rest of Spain how to arrange their future relationship. I'm not sure why you are relishing the prospect of the wealthiest part of Spain breaking away from the rest so much. Are you Portuguese?

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

I suspect there will be no shortage of volunteers.

You might be correct

3 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Of course. But in practical terms what will the Castillians be able to do? I don't envy them their predicament.

I could be here all day listing what Madrid could practically do to protect its territorial integrity.

A more useful question is on the day of the Catalan UDI what will, for example, the French do?

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It won't. If it did after a thoroughly organised and legal referendum available to all, then it would be up to Catalonians and the rest of Spain how to arrange their future relationship. I'm not sure why you are relishing the prospect of the wealthiest part of Spain breaking away from the rest so much. Are you Portuguese?

The Catalans will undoubtedly declare independence with a Yes vote. What is the point of the vote if not that?

I neither relish nor don't relish the situation. It is what it is. I do however have friends of Catalan and South American origin who live there so it is of interest.

You seem very opposed to Catalan independence. May I ask why?

And no, I am not Portuguese.

Edited by Tibbermoresaint

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I could be here all day listing what Madrid could practically do to protect its territorial integrity.

Go on then. Perhaps you could also explain what the Catalans will do to protect their territorial integrity.

I suspect the French won't do very much politically. Border controls will have to be imposed although I don't know what this would amount to in practice.

Musing

6 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Go on then. Perhaps you could also explain what the Catalans will do to protect their territorial integrity.

I suspect the French won't do very much.

As a starting point declare the Catalan govt illegal, take over all communications channels and websites , freeze assets and bank accounts both of the Catalan municipalities and the individuals within them, arrest people in public office taking part in the illegal govt and put the guardia civil on the streets.

In retaliation the Catalans could do what they did last time to protect their territory like putting barricades of wardrobes and mattresses on the ramblas.

17 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

The Catalans will undoubtedly declare independence with a Yes vote. What is the point of the vote if not that?

I neither relish nor don't relish the situation. It is what it is. I do however have friends of Catalan and South American origin who live there so it is of interest.

And no, I am not Portuguese.

It's like Sinn Fein calling and organizing an independence referendum in Northern Ireland, without the agreement of anyone else. Unionists would boycott it, and every national and international body would ignore the result as meaningless. If the Catalan indy enthusiasts  declared independence on the basis of a disputed and shambolic referendum where only their supporters turned out, they'll be universally ignored, rightfully.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

As a starting point declare the Catalan govt illegal, take over all communications channels and websites , freeze assets and bank accounts both of the Catalan municipalities and the individuals within them, arrest people in public office taking part in the illegal govt and put the guardia civil on the streets.

You're describing acts of war. How on earth can the Spanish government declare the government of another country to be illegal or  arrest people in that other country? What authority will the Guardia Civil have in that country? How will the international community react to that.

5 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

You're describing acts of war. How on earth can the Spanish government declare the government of another country to be illegal or  arrest people in that other country? What authority will the Guardia Civil have in that country? How will the international community react to that.

It's Spain mate.

By the way they were still fighting Franco in the streets of Madrid months after the Catalans caved in. Making this a repeat of the Civil War is not only ignorant, it's dangerous. Violent ideology gets fired up from global sources now even more now than it did then. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

By the way they were still fighting Franco in the streets of Madrid months after the Catalans caved in. Making this a repeat of the Civil War is not only ignorant, it's dangerous. Violent ideology gets fired up from global sources now even more now than it did then. 

Only one side can make this a repeat of the Civil War. I very much hope they have more sense but I am doubtful.