Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

The Catalan government are pressing ahead with their Independence Referendum on the 1st of October despite pressure from the spanish government and courts in Madrid.

Spanish premier Rajoy has promised any means possible to stop it though stopped short of declaring martial law and troops on the ground as not to inflame the situation between Barcelona and Madrid any further,the Catalan premier puidgemont has promised to mobolise the Catalan people in any event of troops being deployed.

Catalonia is one of the most wealthiest areas of Spain,a country of 7.5 million that puts far more into the spanish economy than what it recieves back from the central government in Madrid.

It also casts envious eyes to the Basque Country and see's how the 2.5 million basques enjoy full autonomy,devo max,home rule etc,Catalonia's parliament is much on a par with Scotland's powers wise.

Interesting times on the iberian peninsula other countries with similar grievances towards Madrid like the Basque Country and Galicia are eyeing up proceedings over in Catalonia with interest.

Tbf it's incredibly simplifying to boil down Catalonian self-determination to "the richest part of the country wanting to keep its money to itself". I don't have an explanation for why Catalonian nationalism grew out of a suppressed Aragonian identity though.

Isn't the most recent sentiment still largely fueled by the pro/anti Franco stance taken in different parts of Spain?  Certainly there was massive suppression in Catalonia though they were certainly not the only region where this happened.

I've been going to Barcelona at least once a year for the past 10 years and whilst I do not venture outwith the central areas much I have still noticed growing visible support for the Catalan cause.

The Franco era of persecution ties in to a long history of difference between Castile and Aragon ever since they were formally united by Isabella and Ferdinand. I think it was Philip V that formally abolished the Kingdom of Aragon in the 18th century (either during the War of the Spanish Succession) or around the 1750s which might explain the modern understanding of Catalonian nationalism differing from the historical Aragonese kingdom.

The Franco era of persecution ties in to a long history of difference between Castile and Aragon ever since they were formally united by Isabella and Ferdinand. I think it was Philip V that formally abolished the Kingdom of Aragon in the 18th century (either during the War of the Spanish Succession) or around the 1750s which might explain the modern understanding of Catalonian nationalism differing from the historical Aragonese kingdom.

Where there Dragons?