Bonnyton Thistle

Has anyone taken in a match there yet?

I drove past their ground yesterday for the first time. I know they've only just came into being as a senior side but it looked a bit of a strange set up, with portacabins in operation and the pitch being located right next to the road. There wasn't even a sign outside acknowledging who played there or when the next match was.

I wonder what the aim of the club is with this venture - is it to progress through the leagues or simply provide a final outlet for the boys they have brought through their extensive youth system? The ground doesn't have much scope for expansion and it's in a strange part of town - mainly industrialised and not really near any houses.

45 minutes ago, energyzone said:

Has anyone taken in a match there yet?

I drove past their ground yesterday for the first time. I know they've only just came into being as a senior side but it looked a bit of a strange set up, with portacabins in operation and the pitch being located right next to the road. There wasn't even a sign outside acknowledging who played there or when the next match was.

I wonder what the aim of the club is with this venture - is it to progress through the leagues or simply provide a final outlet for the boys they have brought through their extensive youth system? The ground doesn't have much scope for expansion and it's in a strange part of town - mainly industrialised and not really near any houses.

To be fair they are only a 5 min walk from the station (closer than Rugby Park) and have all of New Farm, the Dean area (don't know if this is what you call the houses around Dean Park) and Onthank relatively close by.

My understanding is that the club switched into the pyramid to become one of these (again not sure of the term) elite clubs.  I think the short term aim is to just give another level to their boys club but probably with a longer term view of working with Kilmarnock as a place for our youngsters to go.  That is just my own thoughts I don't know if that is way way off what will happen.

For Kilmarnock to suddenly have two senior sides is quite a surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched them in a pre season match against Hurlford Utd and in one of their midweek matches against Stranraer FC in the league and they are a decent team who will certainly hold their own and I wish them well and hope they do progress up the leagues.
The pitch and facilities are a work in progress and I'm led to believe they will also be getting a seated stand to accommodate around 100 spectators through lottery funding. As far as expansion goes there is adequate space if required as well as the adjacent former training building for Kilmarnock college which is no longer in use and "rumoured"to be demolished as the training has moved to the now opened Ayrshire college in the town.

I suppose when Bonnyton have spent time and effort bringing boys through from 7 years old to age 21, it makes sense to keep hold of them rather than let the better ones go elsewhere. The place is just a bit sterile at the moment with it only partially completed.

• 7 months later...
10 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what state the club is in when it comes to licencing? It was mentioned above that they were planning a seated stand that accomodate 100 and the nonleaguescotland site suggests that's now in place on their profile http://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/bonnyton.htm

There was a report by one of the groundhoppers of an U20 match v Whitehill Welfare very recently that made no mention. Would assume NLS has jumped the gun there?

https://piesontheterraces.wordpress.com/2018/03/31/bonnyton-thistle-u20-v-whitehill-welfare-u20/

4 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

There was a report by one of the groundhoppers of an U20 match v Whitehill Welfare very recently that made no mention. Would assume NLS has jumped the gun there?

https://piesontheterraces.wordpress.com/2018/03/31/bonnyton-thistle-u20-v-whitehill-welfare-u20/

Yeah there was no seated stand (or any sort of cover) when I wrote that last month, and no sign of it in the pipeline yet either.

• 1 month later...

Archived