Tartan Army Message Board closing down

Lurkst

No one has a problem with folk enjoying themselves. Have been away in Europe with united numerous times, I'm not sure I have seen us win. Most gutting being AEK Athens where we really should have progressed. It's never stopped me having a drink and a good time after. I'm sure most folk who don't follow Scotland but have been in Europe with club would be same.

There have definitely been times in the ground though where there has been the "we'll support you evermore" stuff when my reaction was to be fucked off and wanting to let players know what I think.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting, in 20 years of following Scotland home and away, I've never encountered "back-slapping and celebration of failure", maybe it was always in the pub next door and I missed it.

Same, never understood where its came from. Been to 20+ away games over the years and getting beat undoubtedly puts a downer on it, Georgia away being particularly annoying.

This is an enormous cliche though.  There's a middle ground between "loving glorious failure" and spiralling into depression after every defeat, thus ruining your holiday in the process.  The "love glorious failure" thing suggests that travelling Scotland fans couldn't care less whether their team want to do well, which is patently nonsense.  Every one of those people who travels to an away game would love nothing more than for their to be no glorious failures ever.  They want Scotland to win.

The choice of Hungarian, Icelandic or Northern Irish supporters as an example is an odd one, because the fans of those countries enjoyed themselves in a very similar way to what the Scotland support would have done.  They travelled in great numbers in hope rather than expectation, and created a mainly positive atmosphere within the cities they visited.  If Scotland had qualified for the Euros, I have little doubt that our supporters would have done the exact same sort of thing.

Would agree with all of the above. Been travelling since 2013 and never seen any back slapping or celebration of glorious failure. The reaction of the supporters round me in Tbilisi and Trnava in particular was nothing short of total contempt for the failures produced.

A whole generation of my age have not seen or can barely remember Scotland in a major tournament and those I know my age that travel were particularly pissed off to miss the last Euros.

Losing away from home puts a downer on the trip. The five hours spent in the pub in Bratislava dissecting the display the previous night in Trnava was a particular low. But as Craig Killie says you don't ruin your holiday by sitting moping.

16 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Would agree with all of the above. Been travelling since 2013 and never seen any back slapping or celebration of glorious failure. The reaction of the supporters round me in Tbilisi and Trnava in particular was nothing short of total contempt for the failures produced.

A whole generation of my age have not seen or can barely remember Scotland in a major tournament and those I know my age that travel were particularly pissed off to miss the last Euros.

Losing away from home puts a downer on the trip. The five hours spent in the pub in Bratislava dissecting the display the previous night in Trnava was a particular low. But as Craig Killie says you don't ruin your holiday by sitting moping.

Totally agree! I remember feeling totally gutted in Tbilisi walking back after the match. But you are spot on - a few pints and get on and enjoy the rest of the trip.

Archived