Stenhousemuir -vs- Cowdenbeath

270 minutes of not scoring a goal is unacceptable and quite frankly embarrassing at this level. 

The only positive is we don't look like conceding much which is good given our past few seasons however we lie in the dangerzone already due to our lack of goal threat. 

We must start stringing results together or it will be trapdoor playoff 2 all over again. 

Really disappointed how things are going just now throughout our club and hopefully our team is just waiting to click if we have the funds bring in a  striker and an experienced midfielder. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well what a crock of utter garbage that was. If we cannot break down teams the standard of Cowdenbeath ( and no disrespect to them) then we have serious problems ahead. They defended well but thankfully offered very little up front. We were pedestrian and lacking somewhat in imagination perhaps we should have played Bomber's long pass game. We had a couple of chances but could not put the ball away - The Cowden keeper had a couple of good saves and from one of them we got a rebound and scored.

Football like that will drive the crowds away. Really poor unimaginative dross.

McMenamin for his experience is an idiot trying to provoke the referee into booking him. This is a regular occurence with him and as a senior member of the squad should be setting more of an example.

Well what a crock of utter garbage that was. If we cannot break down teams the standard of Cowdenbeath ( and no disrespect to them) then we have serious problems ahead. They defended well but thankfully offered very little up front. We were pedestrian and lacking somewhat in imagination perhaps we should have played Bomber's long pass game. We had a couple of chances but could not put the ball away - The Cowden keeper had a couple of good saves and from one of them we got a rebound and scored.
Football like that will drive the crowds away. Really poor unimaginative dross.
McMenamin for his experience is an idiot trying to provoke the referee into booking him. This is a regular occurence with him and as a senior member of the squad should be setting more of an example.

You did at least score, played the better football and took three points. I do agree it was a depressing spectacle and I don't know If I can take much more of this dismal stuff which is becoming the norm.

8 hours ago, ronaldincoo said:

Visiting the folks so planning to come along. Will be my first Cowden match in a long while. Here's hoping !

2 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

Well what a crock of utter garbage that was. 

Oh dear. That was a hard watch. Very poor fare from both sides. It is clear as the nose on my face what is wrong with this Cowden side. Goalkeeper and defence look solid. Those  who deserve a mention in dispatches are McGovern (who made some excellent, and brave, saves) , Rumsby and especially McInally who I thought was excellent and was willing to put in a shift down the right flank. Muirhead and Buchanan tried to work hard up front, but never looked liked providing an end product. However. The midfield. Ye gods. There is nobody doing a job in front of the back four either breaking up attacks or picking up the loose ball. There is nobody supporting the front two. There are no midfielders who can pass, control the ball, shoot or direct the game. There were vast acres of the middle of the park with nary a Cowden shirt to be seen. The ball appeared to be a hot potato which needed to be got rid of asap, preferably hoofed up the park. What has happened to Kyle Miller ? He used to be good. He was properly murder today. Can't pass, can't control the ball, can't tackle, get stuck in or shoot. What is the point of Fraser Mullen ? I see the No 10 was a lad called Smith. I didn't even notice he was playing until I saw the team sheet just now. Why did we wait until the 75th minute to make any kind of substitution when we were so dire ? According to the BBC we had 2 shots on goal. Buggered if I can think of one. Second bottom of the league. Wonderful. 

5 minutes ago, ronaldincoo said:

Oh dear. That was a hard watch. Very poor fare from both sides. It is clear as the nose on my face what is wrong with this Cowden side. Goalkeeper and defence look solid. Those  who deserve a mention in despatches are McGovern (who made some excellent, and brave, saves) , Rumsby and especially McInally who I thought was excellent and was willing to put in a shift down the right flank. Muirhead and Buchanan worked hard up front, but with no end product. However. The midfield. Ye gods. There is nobody doing a job in front of the back four either breaking up attacks or picking up the loose ball. There is nobody supporting the front two. There are no midfielders who can pass, shoot or direct the game. There were vast acres of the middle of the park with nary a Cowdenbeath shirt to be seen. The ball appeared to be a hot potato which needed to be got rid of asap, preferably hoofed up the park. What has happened to Kyle Miller ? He used to be good. He was properly murder today. Can't pass, can't control the ball, can't tackle, get stuck in or shoot. What is the point of Fraser Mullen ? I see the No 10 was a lad called Smith. I didn't even notice he was playing until I saw the team sheet just now. Why did we wait until the 75th minute to make any kind of substitution when we were so dire ? According to the BBC we had 2 shots on goal. Buggered if I can think of one. Second bottom of the league. Wonderful. 

Sad thing is it's last season all over again. Keep hearing that we have a young team that will get better. Well maybe, but with no "auld heids" who can read a game we will always struggle. If only we could get another CC, not the most popular guy maybe but exactly the sort of player we need.

Mullen has had some good games and can shoot but like you say Miller is a mystery, I don't know what's happened there.

This is going to be another long season for all Cowden fans.

And we need someone who can score too!

That was a pretty dire game of football, but a dire game of football Stenhousemuir FC deserved to win all the same. Other than a set-piece header that might have been saved or deflected by a defender, Cowdenbeath offered nothing - the goalkeeper and back four are unlikely to have an easier 90 minutes all season. I understand the Cowden side is mostly made up of youngsters and without any fit forwards but, even so, supporters must be concerned with what's currently on offer. Scott Rumsby looked good (and I don't know why his career's faltered after leaving Stranraer) and young Joe McGovern, despite some wobbly handling, made some decent saves but that's about it. They'll be looking over their shoulders this season.

I can't really find any fault with anyone in maroon, they did what they were supposed to do, but it's pretty brutal to watch. Only Harry Paton wanted to put his foot on the ball and play - the rest of the time it was lumped forward for Mark McGuigan and Jamie Longworth. Sometimes it worked but both strikers' touch was off and decent passes forward amounted to nothing. That was pretty much it for us. We had some reasonable moments but poor finishing and strange decision-making let us down.

Still, that's us unbeaten in our last four matches and sitting in a solid position five weeks in. It's not brilliant to watch but it seems to be effective. Given we don't really have the personnel to play any other way, let's hope it stays that way for now.

Just now, Francesc Fabregas said:

Yes it was. Young boy on a development loan from Heart of Midlothian.

Looked the best out of the mediocre bunch. Was at least willing to run with the ball at his feet and since there was usually no Cowden shirt with yards of him, he caused problems in the second half. 

That was a pretty dire game of football, but a dire game of football Stenhousemuir FC deserved to win all the same. Other than a set-piece header that might have been saved or deflected by a defender, Cowdenbeath offered nothing - the goalkeeper and back four are unlikely to have an easier 90 minutes all season. I understand the Cowden side is mostly made up of youngsters and without any fit forwards but, even so, supporters must be concerned with what's currently on offer. Scott Rumsby looked good (and I don't know why his career's faltered after leaving Stranraer) and young Joe McGovern, despite some wobbly handling, made some decent saves but that's about it. They'll be looking over their shoulders this season.
I can't really find any fault with anyone in maroon, they did what they were supposed to do, but it's pretty brutal to watch. Only Harry Paton wanted to put his foot on the ball and play - the rest of the time it was lumped forward for Mark McGuigan and Jamie Longworth. Sometimes it worked but both strikers' touch was off and decent passes forward amounted to nothing. That was pretty much it for us. We had some reasonable moments but poor finishing and strange decision-making let us down.
Still, that's us unbeaten in our last four matches and sitting in a solid position five weeks in. It's not brilliant to watch but it seems to be effective. Given we don't really have the personnel to play any other way, let's hope it stays that way for now.

Spot on. Stenny looked good for spells when the knocked the ball around, but it was mostly a case of getting it to the in-form forwards as quickly as possible.

I found the first sub a little strange. At least Longworth was dropping deep to receive the ball. McMenamin stood up front with McGuigan and the link between midfield and attack was lost.

Pretty grim stuff today. The first half was fairly even and the second half, we came out and looked up for it. Cammy made a couple of good runs and had the better of the left back and Robbie was looking dangerous on the right. Then we switched Buchanan and Muirhead over and Stenny started to come back into the game. When we made the two subs, we completely lost the midfield shape and Stenny just ran all over us and could have had a couple more had it not been for McGovern.

I thought Ali Smith actually had a decent first half but faded in the second. Brad Smith did nothing when he came on.

Fair play to you for getting eight minutes of footage from that match. Watching them back, Mark McGuigan does brilliantly with the goal, taking the long pass onto his chest and turning and angling his shot on goal. The goalkeeper could have done better with his block, right enough.

Disgusting display from the team on saturday.Lacked energy/sharpness and I was alarmed at how poor our midfield was. The lad number 8 for stenny best player on the pitch by a mile.

Our effort was poor on saturday and although we upped it a little 2nd half it was nowhere near good enough. Even our back 4 was poor and lethargic.

No point in moaning about the squad it is what it is now minus a loan signing or 2.

Brad smith on the bench is a travesty. Easily our best "footballer". He came on with 20 to go but looked uninterested.

Fuming with sat performance. Stenny were ok. Didnt need to be anything else to be honest. Better team won end of.

Can anyone give me the attendance for this game. Keeping stats this season and can't find it published anywhere.
Interesting stat - 0 goals scored in second half of all Cowdenbeath league games this season. (5 games)

Archived