Stenhousemuir -vs- Cowdenbeath

Given there hasn't been a thread on tomorrow's match until now, I imagine the clamour for the fixture isn't very high. I normally eulogise about the rivalry between Stenhousemuir and Cowdenbeath in 2005/06 and 2008/09 but enough about that - let's look to the future.

Once again, with all due respect to Cowden, if the Warriors have any designs on finishing in the top four, they'll need to win this game. Another draw - which I suspect will be the likeliest outcome, given our recent form - isn't any good to us. I can't pretend to know much about this Cowden team, even if some of the names are familiar to me, but after last season's near disaster and their own inauspicious start to the campaign, I would peg us as favourites.

How are we placed in terms of availability? We'll probably continue with this sort of team:

- Mark McGuigan - Jamie Longworth -

- Eddie Fearns - Mark Ferry - Harry Paton - Nathan Blockley -

- Ruaridh Donaldson - Mick Dunlop - Ross Dunlop - Ross Meechan -

- Chris Smith -

Mark McGuigan is likely to be the difference tomorrow. The big striker has scored four goals in as many league games (when was the last time we had a striker in such red-hot form?) and I'd wager him to get a fifth. He and Jamie Longworth have formed a good partnership and I hope it's too much for Cowden to handle. That midfield, on the other hand...

I'd be disappointed with anything less than a win, to be honest.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine this game will follow most of our matches so far this season - we'll play well in the first half and probably take a one-goal lead into the interval before tiring after the restart, our midfield being overrun and out-fought, leading to Cowden equalising with 15 minutes to go.

Same as it ever was.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Given there hasn't been a thread on tomorrow's match until now, I imagine the clamour for the fixture isn't very high. I normally eulogise about the rivalry between Stenhousemuir and Cowdenbeath in 2005/06 and 2008/09 but enough about that - let's look to the future.

Once again, with all due respect to Cowden, if the Warriors have any designs on finishing in the top four, they'll need to win this game. Another draw - which I suspect will be the likeliest outcome, given our recent form - isn't any good to us. I can't pretend to know much about this Cowden team, even if some of the names are familiar to me, but after last season's near disaster and their own inauspicious start to the campaign, I would peg us as favourites.

How are we placed in terms of availability? We'll probably continue with this sort of team:

- Chris Smith -

Mark McGuigan is likely to be the difference tomorrow. The big striker has scored four goals in as many league games (when was the last time we had a striker in such red-hot form?) and I'd wager him to get a fifth. He and Jamie Longworth have formed a good partnership and I hope it's too much for Cowden to handle. That midfield, on the other hand...

If Stenny score they'll win.

Just now, onecowden said:

I'm struggling to get enthused about Cowden at the moment. Feeling guilty but that's where I am.

If we had a goalscorer than I think we have an excellent first 11 for the league.  Our defence is grand, we've young midfielders who play nice football but we've nothing up top. Muirhead looks fantastic on the wing but isolated up top on his own.

Armand One still playing? More importantly is Dubya (think that was the name!) still posting on here?

Play the young 17 year old connolly up top. Raw as f**k but has ability and works really hard. Genuine talent. Rather him than play a midfielder up top coz we are so weakened squad wise.

Is morris fit. If he is he must start if connolly doesnt.

hoping muirhead is back.

Play the young 17 year old connolly up top. Raw as f**k but has ability and works really hard. Genuine talent. Rather him than play a midfielder up top coz we are so weakened squad wise.
Is morris fit. If he is he must start if connolly doesnt.
hoping muirhead is back.

All of this. I am pretty sure I've seen Morris in the gym this week but not sure he was doing mega much.

Regardless I would start and persevere with Connolly. He will win games for us soon.

As an aside is there still cheap entry for away fans with season tickets?

13 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

- Chris Smith -

McGuigan and Longworth are both good lower league strikers so will cause us problems. Blockley always impressed me as a central midfielder for Airdrie but whenever I saw him for Peterhead, he was playing at right back. Now he's a wide midfielder? Eddie Fearns is the most beige of footballers. Stenny have a good starting IX - not much depth to the squad.

We can't start with Ali Smith up front again. That was brutal.

3 hours ago, big al said:

Well that's changed my mind.

might watch hearts of beath instead.

3 hours ago, vince sinclair said:

Me too
Working til half one and planned to go straight over in car

2 hours ago, dave_binos said:

Why isn't the terracing open for away fans? Keep costs down with security?

I can understand why Stenny don't open the terrace when they don't expect a big away support as Dave says it will be down to cost. No point in paying for extra stewards and turnstile operators when you can get the whole crowd in the one stand.

In this division I would expect they would only need to open the terrace when they play both Stirling and Clyde.

3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I can understand why Stenny don't open the terrace when they don't expect a big away support as Dave says it will be down to cost. No point in paying for extra stewards and turnstile operators when you can get the whole crowd in the one stand.

In this division I would expect they would only need to open the terrace when they play both Stirling and Clyde.

I can't.

surely a crowd that size can all go in the same turnstiles and either walk to the stand or terrace just like many other lower league grounds?

Archived