South-east Asia - Inspire me

Guest JTS98

1 minute ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Where you bet booking accommodation? Booking.com? Someone said Air B n B is decent over there as well?

I usually book direct,but always have a look around the websites to see if its cheaper but i reckon 9 outta 10 times its cheaper direct

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep an eye on the weather as there's still a lot of rain around some parts of Thailand in December.
Hot rain but rain all the same.

We went to a Muay Thai night in Hua Hin and it was pretty brutal and authentic.A local taxi driver arranged it for us,Bangkok will probably be similar.

I’m just back from three weeks over there. Bangkok > Luang Prabang > Siem Reap > Ko Lanta > Chiang Mai > Bangkok. Fantastic holiday - best in a few years. Hopefully a few tips to add to this thread too - when I get a chance in the next few days I’ll write up a few details.

9 hours ago, Adamski said:

I’m just back from three weeks over there. Bangkok > Luang Prabang > Siem Reap > Ko Lanta > Chiang Mai > Bangkok. Fantastic holiday - best in a few years. Hopefully a few tips to add to this thread too - when I get a chance in the next few days I’ll write up a few details.

Been living in Asia for 10 years and Ko Lanta is still my favourite place. Been three times now, once before the big tsunami in 2001 and twice more recently. Great for families but also enough beach parties going on as well - rent a motorbike and head to the fishing villages on the other side of the island.

• 3 months later...

I was briefly looking at sorting out a week or 10 days in Indonesia in August and was considering central/eastern Java.

Has anyone been before and would recommend it? Or are there other places that would be better?

I did see there were a few terrorist attacks there recently which has put me off a bit.

On 9/16/2017 at 20:38, JTS98 said:

This is fair advice. Try not to look lost or like it's your first time there. Never tell anyone who asks you that it's your first time in town. Always say you've been loads of times, know the place like the back of your hand.

Never let tuk tuk drivers take you to shops of their choosing etc. The Bangkok scams are widely available on the internet, but you'll probably be fine. Enjoy.

Hi, I've been to Bangkok. So far, we have not been scammed there.  The only thing that I do not like was the other Tuk Tuk drivers. They are not careful in driving.

I was briefly looking at sorting out a week or 10 days in Indonesia in August and was considering central/eastern Java.

Has anyone been before and would recommend it? Or are there other places that would be better?

I did see there were a few terrorist attacks there recently which has put me off a bit.

I wouldn't worry too much about terrorism in Indonesia although the other week was bad (start of ramadam) and mostly concentrated in Surabaya.

I suppose Bandung, Yogyakarta/Borobudur, Karimunjawa are probably the places of interest.

Food is fantastic.

Avoid Lion air if flyimg internally.

Archived