Thing Changes

For me I'd like to see, in future, more faith put in youngsters or in form players rather than sticking with the same old, same old.

Whereas the likes of Wales have the balls to play a teenager not yet having played (to any degree) for his club in Woodburn we soldier on with the likes of Morrison (just because he plays in the Premiership) even though he is currently unfit and out of form. Get the kids in and ones playing for less fashionable SPL clubs and lets see what they have got. After all the likes of Morrison is coming to the end of his career and on a downward spiral in pace and form. Get the likes of Henderson, Ralstan,  and such-like into the squad early and bed them in - that is the way forward. Look to the future not to the past.

We have seen what fresh faces can do to the side as our fortunes have changed greatly since Tierney and Armstrong have been brought in. It revitalises the side and creates competition as well. Whether Strachan remains or not it is something we really should be doing.

anyone idea who younger player to any team from Championship or SPFL club like Woodburn

The Wales argument is always put forward, but what people always seem to leave out is that when they decided to rip it up and throw in younger players, they 1) Had players like Bale and Ramsey within those ranks and 2) were at a dreadfully low ebb.  We're nowhere near the absolute dearth of quality they had, but then we don't have the players who have as much potential as some of their number did.  

Quite simply, there doesn't need to be any sweeping changes.  We don't have a divine right to do anything as a nation, and I'd say we're probably doing close to what we're expected to do.  We're in a huge tier of nations outside the top two tiers - tier 1 being those like Germany, France, England etc, who always qualify with little fuss, and tier 2 being the ones that are expected to qualify but aren't necessarily top seeds.  The tier below (and there's a fair bit of overlap between 2 and 3) contains every nation that could stand an outside chance of making a playoff.  Sometimes they'll come very close like we did for Euro 2016 (a shite result in Georgia away from a playoff) and sometimes they'll get eliminated early on.  I'd say we're only slightly underperforming, and that other nations - that we once called diddies - have very quickly caught up in most respects.

It's all very well saying "look to the future", but that's just a cheap soundbite trotted out whenever we're not doing well.  If there are the players out there who can make a difference, then by all means get them in, but I don't think nowadays just putting them in a squad or playing them in friendlies is really going to make a huge difference to their development.  The U21s should be about building them up to international level, with their club football responsible for developing them as players.  When they're good enough, we bring them in, otherwise it's largely pointless.  

For me, all that needs to happen come the next campaign - because I assume Strachan will be gone, but could still apply to him if he isn't - is that we bring all our age groups closer together.  The national team manager should be picking the very best players we have available without a shadow of a doubt.  By all means have a few wild-card spots in the squad, but they'd be far better served playing for the U21s than sitting on the bench for the senior side.  The U21 (and other age group) manager should be working closely with whoever the senior manager is, making sure that he is fully informed on who is coming through.  Then we should be playing the same systems at all levels so that when someone does come through that seems to have what it takes to add something to the senior team (and, "he's younger" isn't really a good enough reason) then he can slot straight in with little bother.  Right now there doesn't seem to be any kind of connection between the groups, and that's a problem.

41 minutes ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

For me I'd like to see, in future, more faith put in youngsters or in form players rather than sticking with the same old, same old.

Whereas the likes of Wales have the balls to play a teenager not yet having played (to any degree) for his club in Woodburn we soldier on with the likes of Morrison (just because he plays in the Premiership) even though he is currently unfit and out of form. Get the kids in and ones playing for less fashionable SPL clubs and lets see what they have got. After all the likes of Morrison is coming to the end of his career and on a downward spiral in pace and form. Get the likes of Henderson, Ralstan,  and such-like into the squad early and bed them in - that is the way forward. Look to the future not to the past.

We have seen what fresh faces can do to the side as our fortunes have changed greatly since Tierney and Armstrong have been brought in. It revitalises the side and creates competition as well. Whether Strachan remains or not it is something we really should be doing.

anyone idea who younger player to any team from Championship or SPFL club like Woodburn

Did you go to English classes or something?

Scotland try call up someone like Bale, Ramsey,Rashford, Woodburn
Aberdeen: Scott Wright
Celtic: Jack Aitchison 
Brentford: Ali Coote and Theo Archibald  
Morton: Jai Quitongo

All for capping young players but they have to be ready. Being honest Oliver burkes performances in his 5 caps were poor especially in the competitive games i.e. Lithuania at home. Was he ready for a start in a World Cup qualifier? Woodburn is a potentially world class player something we don't have - Burke is probably the closest we have and as above his performances were poor and think he will benefit from a good run in the under 21s captaining the team to

2 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

All for capping young players but they have to be ready. Being honest Oliver burkes performances in his 5 caps were poor especially in the competitive games i.e. Lithuania at home. Was he ready for a start in a World Cup qualifier? Woodburn is a potentially world class player something we don't have - Burke is probably the closest we have and as above his performances were poor and think he will benefit from a good run in the under 21s captaining the team to

yes Burke can in squad than Jack Harper too (If Harper in first team with Malaga) 

Haud the bus. Woodburn has scored a goal. No way can you compare him with Burke and say one is potentially world class and one isn't. They're both very good young prospects, that's all.

Archived