Central Sectional Cup final

eaglelok

From Bankies website:

We can tonight confirm our Sectional League Cup final agains Pollok – scheduled to be played on Friday 6th October – has been postponed.

The decision was taken after Police Scotland raised concerns about the potential size of the attendance and venue.

Clydebank FC fully support the decision, with fans safety of the utmost importance.

A new date will be announced in due course.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like peoples' concerns taken on board. Hopefully the decision gives the committee the chance to plan and promote it so that it's a real set piece and one to remember. Also I trust no-one at Benburb sees this as a slight on their facility which has been widely praised ... just not for this final

A totally ludicrous situation.Even the least informed junior watcher would have known that it was nonsensical to play a cup final on a  Friday night between two of the best supported junior clubs at one of the smallest grounds!!!!!Does that  not compute?Thank God at least some authority has stepped in.Farcical.Who proposed this location in the first place?Why?

3 hours ago, Essdee said:

From Bankies website:

We can tonight confirm our Sectional League Cup final agains Pollok – scheduled to be played on Friday 6th October – has been postponed.

The decision was taken after Police Scotland raised concerns about the potential size of the attendance and venue.

Clydebank FC fully support the decision, with fans safety of the utmost importance.

A new date will be announced in due course.

The Pollok v Clydebank league fixture on Saturday 7th, which was postponed to accommodate this fixture, has not yet been reinstated. 
So it may be the venue that will change but not the date. 
Or maybe both. 
But hopefully there will DEFINITELY be a different venue chosen, anyone with a brain cell or two knew right from the start that New Tinto was an atrocious choice. 

Although the idea of Tinto Park was a bad one IMO (size for crowd and parking problems being the main concerns) I think the SJFA should be commended on an innovative idea to play the final on a Friday night under the lights. Sunday's are generally days for the family, and I bet if you asked the players, they would all rather play on a Friday than the Sunday.

If it's a choice between Cambuslang on  Sunday afternoon or an astro on a Friday night I know what I'd choose. A Sunday doesn't even leave you or the players & committee the chance to celebrate properly should your team win - for those in employment :) 

It’s unfortunate that the newer build stadiums - notwithstanding the facilities being generally excellent - tend to be built with modern Junior attendances in mind rather than the knocking on four figures crowd that would no doubt turn up for a game like this, and lack spectator areas which would facilitate watching the game e.g. terracing as opposed to hard standing.

Two the better-supported sides in the region showing up on a Friday night to a park that holds 6-700 at a push - what could possibly go wrong there?

The Bens would have been an ideal venue to host this  had it been two less well-supported sides that had made the final, but it looks like we’re stuck with using the dwindling number of comparatively cavernous older-school grounds – Pollok, Cambuslang, Larkhall etc. – if two sides liable to pull big crowds are contesting a final.

1 hour ago, Hands_Free said:

Although the idea of Tinto Park was a bad one IMO (size for crowd and parking problems being the main concerns) I think the SJFA should be commended on an innovative idea to play the final on a Friday night under the lights. Sunday's are generally days for the family, and I bet if you asked the players, they would all rather play on a Friday than the Sunday.

If it's a choice between Cambuslang on  Sunday afternoon or an astro on a Friday night I know what I'd choose. A Sunday doesn't even leave you or the players & committee the chance to celebrate properly should your team win - for those in employment :) 

totally agree. they deserve at least a bit of credit among all the pelters for this. 

8 minutes ago, Kilsyth Coyle said:

Common sense at last!!!

We'll have it Kilsyth please.

Ideal for the size of crowd, great pitch and decent facilities no worse than the likes of Camby!

Sure the fans won't mind a slightly further Travel to see a good game at a great venue.

Neutrals might find it a bit harder to get to than  a Glasgow ground but I kind of like the idea of not just pandering to the Weegies all the time. 

9 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Neutrals might find it a bit harder to get to than  a Glasgow ground but I kind of like the idea of not just pandering to the Weegies all the time. 

Agreed - the likes of Kilsyth, Shotts or even Lanark don’t really get a fair crack of the whip due their perceived remoteness.

The only real issue would be public transport access, especially were it to be held on a Sunday…wouldn’t fancy the train to Croy/local granny bus combo that seems to be the easiest way to get to Kilsyth for example on a reduced service.

41 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Agreed - the likes of Kilsyth, Shotts or even Lanark don’t really get a fair crack of the whip due their perceived remoteness.

The only real issue would be public transport access, especially were it to be held on a Sunday…wouldn’t fancy the train to Croy/local granny bus combo that seems to be the easiest way to get to Kilsyth for example on a reduced service.

TBH it would take more than idle curiosity to make me go to that effort whereas a train to Cambo is about as easy as it gets.  I suppose we need to see some finalists from outside the Glasgow area before it becomes a genuine consideration. 

25 minutes ago, Nugent4nil said:

Why did they change from having the finals midweek at Maryhill, was at two running both great nights.

You'd have to ask the ones that make the decisions - I suspect the fact we were already doing the groundshare with Broomhill at the time didn't help. The pitch was sketchy at best around that time!

I don't reckon we fought all that hard to keep it though - unless you've got two well-supported sides in a final, it's not a massive earner to stage one. There was one we held - forget who was playing - where you'd be lucky if there were 300 there; 10% of that gate and whatever you make on catering isn't a game-changer.

Archived