Central Sectional Cup final

eaglelok

The last time we won this cup under Richardson the game was played midweek at Maryhill under the lights. That meant it did not impact on league football.

On the Saturday we were due to play Clydebank at home, with no SPL or EPL on it when Utd probably have been our biggest crowd of the year. 

Instead we miss out on a Saturday league game to play a Friday night game at a ground far from ideal for a Autumn evening game with a large crowd. 

The game could have been played on 22nd October.

The teams we were scheduled to play that weekend were Beith and Girvan. These two tams are scheduled to play on the 28th, which will be cancelled as it's 2nd round of Scottish. So they could instead have played on 21st. So a Sunday game with little impact on others. 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, F_T_Y said:

So the neutrals take precedence over the average fan?

You'll need to explain how you arrived at that interpretation of what I posted. 

You'll also need to explain why these average fans can only go to matches on Saturdays. 

The last time we won this cup under Richardson the game was played midweek at Maryhill under the lights. That meant it did not impact on league football.

On the Saturday we were due to play Clydebank at home, with no SPL or EPL on it when Utd probably have been our biggest crowd of the year. 
Instead we miss out on a Saturday league game to play a Friday night game at a ground far from ideal for a Autumn evening game with a large crowd. 

The game could have been played on 22nd October.
The teams we were scheduled to play that weekend were Beith and Girvan. These two tams are scheduled to play on the 28th, which will be cancelled as it's 2nd round of Scottish. So they could instead have played on 21st. So a Sunday game with little impact on others. 

You want the fixture mans job[emoji4]

So the final gets played on a friday or sunday to attract more neutrals. Its not hard to work out if you played this on a saturday there would be more fans there with it being an interntional break. 

Not everyone lives within a mile radius of their teams. I will be travelling down on the thursday night for game at hampden then probably again for this on the friday night, also fans from both teams probably heading out to watch scotland in slovenia. Im sure we were told before junior fans don't go to scotland games...

Can anyone direct me to reliable data regarding:
(a) the official legal spectator capacity of New Tinto Park?
(b) the attendance figures there to date for any other high profile matches, e.g. last season's Evening Times Cup Final?
(c) official crowd figures for previous recent Lok v Bankies cup finals at Maryhill or elsewhere?

9 hours ago, archieb said:

Can anyone direct me to reliable data regarding:
(a) the official legal spectator capacity of New Tinto Park?
(b) the attendance figures there to date for any other high profile matches, e.g. last season's Evening Times Cup Final?
(c) official crowd figures for previous recent Lok v Bankies cup finals at Maryhill or elsewhere?

There were 500-odd at last year's Times final, and I remember the Lochburn final well - I was on the gate! The crowd was probably 1050-1100, although only 900-odd actually paid in.

I was at the Times final last year and from what I recall that was New Tinto probably near its limit capacity wise...unless you were at the barrier you wouldn't see the game due to the lack of terracing...the whole place is hard standing apart from the stand bit. If you almost double that crowd, it's not going to be a fun experience for many people unless they're 6'4" and up.

Surely there are serious safety concerns  here for spectators.This choice of venue and date seems massively risky.Are they going to make it all ticket so that there aren't problems at the gate/are they going to or able to segregate supporters to avoid any hassle etc etc.The Saturday afternoon at 3pm at a decent junior ground to maximise exposure for our grade and the crowd and make it a real occasion would be superb,progressive and sensible.How about it?

16 hours ago, Shanner said:

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to complain about fixture scheduling, but these ^^^ are not among them. 

You're on a flight. Nae luck. Folk are away supporting Scotland so they knew they'd be missing a Bankies fixture at a time when this final is often played.  That's the risk you take. 

It's an Old Firm fixture free weekend in Glasgow and folk have been pretty enthusiastic in the past about Friday night football.  They're basically damned if they do something different or damned if they don't.  

The precedence I am sure was set the last time we met Pollok in this final when they started playing this on a Sunday, we had 900 paying customers through the door hence the reason why correct me if I am wrong it has been played on a Sunday ever since. No disrespect to Bens here as the set-up looks great, but New Tinto Park is nowhere near able to comfortably house that figure although with it being on Friday on a Plastic  pitch when there are Internationals on the Tele at the same time it won't have too. So aside my own personal frustrations at missing out it has been highlighted by others on here the safety concerns the venue poses!

I would gladly give Pollok home advantage and play on Saturday at Newlandsfield if the powers at be saw sense! It would also hopefully generate a larger crowd and a larger revenue for all involved!

Archived