U21 Euro 2019 Qualifying

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit mystified by the inclusion of the young Dundee Utd keeper, Josh Donaldson. Don't get me wrong, I've not seen a lot of him but the times I have seen him, he hasn't impressed. Plus, out with development football he is fairly inexperienced. There are a number of other keepers who are still eligible who might feel a bit aggrieved by his inclusion. McCrorie is apparently doing well at Berwick, Ruddy is playing first team football with Ayr, although not sure how he is performing. Motherwell's Ferguson has been playing at Airdrie until recently and Jamie Sneddon at Partick has played over 30 first team games at league 1 and 2 level. There may well be others.

22 minutes ago, NotAFan said:

Bit mystified by the inclusion of the young Dundee Utd keeper, Josh Donaldson. Don't get me wrong, I've not seen a lot of him but the times I have seen him, he hasn't impressed. Plus, out with development football he is fairly inexperienced. There are a number of other keepers who are still eligible who might feel a bit aggrieved by his inclusion. McCrorie is apparently doing well at Berwick, Ruddy is playing first team football with Ayr, although not sure how he is performing. Motherwell's Ferguson has been playing at Airdrie until recently and Jamie Sneddon at Partick has played over 30 first team games at league 1 and 2 level. There may well be others.

Ferguson's a decent keeper, and with the full-time coaching and support at Motherwell will become a better one.  But someone who has been dropped to the bench at a L1 team like Airdrie (albeit probably partially in order to bring on our own probable first-team keeper for next season) should be nowhere near the national team.

59 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Ferguson's a decent keeper, and with the full-time coaching and support at Motherwell will become a better one.  But someone who has been dropped to the bench at a L1 team like Airdrie (albeit probably partially in order to bring on our own probable first-team keeper for next season) should be nowhere near the national team.

I'd like to see him picked - and not just because of the Airdrie connection. He's been a 1st choice goalie for us for 18 months (barring the last couple of weeks as you've pointed out). He's got loads of first team experience for his age and surely if we see first team experience as key to player development we should reward those who actually have it (and give an incentive to those who don't) by at least having a look at him at that level. We've also had seen enough youngsters at our level actually get call ups (Ridgers, for example) who weren't especially good but were in the squads - and actually its the best time for us as he's not crucial to our season if he gets injured, etc so I'd have him in.

Mark Hurst was getting picked for the U21's when he was with us, it shouldn't be holding anybody back playing at that level!!!

ETA

The lad Ben MacKenzie that we've got on loan from St. Johnstone at the moment is somebody else to keep an eye on at the moment, his performances so far have been outstanding!!!

15 hours ago, NotAFan said:

If you picked a starting goalie from some other lower league team, they may be losing a regular for a league game. Hard to justify when it's only the third choice goalie for an under-21 game against Andorra that you're talking about.

• 2 months later...
On 28/06/2018 at 11:27, highlandcowden said:

I'm off on Thursday 6th September so was thinking of going to our home match vs Andorra;anyone any idea where this is being played?

It's not been announced yet. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/03/2018 at 08:28, highlandcowden said:

anyone got any idea where the home Andorra game on 6th sept will be held?nothing on SFA site

It's now been announced it'll be at Tynecastle. 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/international-matches/?mid=183600

Archived