Camping in Scotland

LinkinFighter

Can anyone suggest some decent spots for camping in Scotland.  There's going to be about 4 of us for a couple of days over the September weekend.

Nothing fancy, near a Loch would be nice, decent views to sit and drink cans and have a camp fire.

The Back of Keppoch just along from Arisaig. Quite a few options to choose from along that way. I usually stay at the croft. It's very basic but has access to some cracking beaches which are perfect for campfires and there is a B&B with a public bar a 10 min walk away and Arisaig is only a 25 min walk if you fancy a pint.

10 hours ago, Waspy said:

The Back of Keppoch just along from Arisaig. Quite a few options to choose from along that way. I usually stay at the croft. It's very basic but has access to some cracking beaches which are perfect for campfires and there is a B&B with a public bar a 10 min walk away and Arisaig is only a 25 min walk if you fancy a pint.

What he said. Get up for a pish at 4am and see Rum and Eigg across the water.  

5 hours ago, The Mantis said:

What he said. Get up for a pish at 4am and see Rum and Eigg across the water.  

Stopped off near there after delivering 2nd hand furniture to Mallaig. The firm had a gps thing so the office folk could track our movements, and were quibbling about lunch breaks. So we took a sofa and table off the lorry and planted them on the beach, along with a buffet and non alcoholic champagne, and waited for the inevitable phone call about why we'd stopped. "Lunch" and a selfie was the reply. 

On a wee tangent, the Back of Keppoch is where my wee brother asked our parents if Santa was real. In the middle of July!

I have never considered wild camping as an end in itself. What would you do through the day?

Anyway it all depends on:

Where you travelling from? How far you willing to travel? Car or public transport? How far you willing to walk with your gear?

Back of Keppoch, Arisaig, Morar etc are beautiful in good weather. In September you are taking a chance.

• 3 years later...

I plan to go camping in Scotland at the beginning of next month, I have all the necessary equipment, and I want to rent an SUV with my friends.Where would it be better to go, other than the places that you have already listed? I usually go on a trip in my short bed truck campers on my Ford pickup truck across America. But in this case, you will already have to travel in a rented car with your wife. Since we have a family of 3 children, you need to rent a large car to travel in this country. Which car rental company did you contact in Scotland?

Edited by JohnMes

2 hours ago, JohnMes said:

I plan to go camping in Scotland at the beginning of next month, I have all the necessary equipment, and I want to rent an SUV with my friends.Where would it be better to go, other than the places that you have already listed?

Tenerife.

6 hours ago, JohnMes said:

But Tenerife is further than Scotland. Or do you suggest going there instead of Scotland?

Yes. I recommend Hovercraft Rentals in Largs. Plenty room for all the family. You may have to stop for fuel en route a few times.