Stirling Albion v Clyde

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were a tad wasteful today but Clyde came and put in a great shift. Quite a physical team and in goodwillie they have an absolutely outstanding footballer who we couldn't live with. 

Just home and now I need to go to my neighbour's birthday barbecue. A double whammy of utter misery. 

We can speak about Breslin later but generally I think we approached this one well. Chapman's thinking was obviously fight fire with fire: energy with energy, pace with pace and creativity with creativity. Happily, we outmatched Stirling over the piece. We couldn't really have done so without Goodwillie's influence. But that'll go for virtually any match in which we take something.

The omissions of Flynn and Miller were absolutely key, in my opinion. So too was the introduction of Munro. Osadolor's absence probably helped as well. Almost every player, good or bad, has a bit more predictability and, frankly, experience about their game than he does. And our attacks had a better yield as a result today.

Might've saw more cards on another day. Nicoll's going to struggle with the pace wherever he plays; but we knew that. That said, if he can keep out of fights he won't win and and keep the game in front of him, then you know... You can argue the toss about their being a role for him with enough support around him.

There was a good physicality and desire about us today, an appropriate response to our energyless showing against Stenny. We won't bring it every week, sadly. But then, with the lad Duffie, we might've a respectable back four in future. In which case we mightn't have to excel ourselves every week (i.e. score three to win).

Well that was frustrating but I'm not surprised tbh. Fair play to Clyde they obviously did their homework and stopped us from playing. Goodwillie was miles ahead of anyone on the park, he caused all sorts of trouble.

Ah well a defeat was always going to happen. End of the day we're still top and go again next week in a massive game vs Montrose.

Much, much better today. Two moments of hesitation nearly cost us the points. Breslin decided to let a harmless through ball seemingly go straight through him and the. Currie deciding to stay in his line when it should have been an easy take from the cross.

Stirling went close but so did we and we could easily have scored more ourselves. Overall we deserved the win.

First of all, my sympathies are with the referee who I believe must have had Stirling Albion on his coupon.

Secondly, I really enjoyed that match. Both teams were out to win.

Breslin who was honking in the first half improved and played some excellent through passes in the second.

Goodwillie was superb and was unfortunate not to score more.

Monro looks like a proper centre half. Strong and resilient.

The negatives; first of all Breslin's first half performance which was as bad as it is possible to be.

Secondly, Currie! I'm sorry but I don't see this fantastic goalkeeper that we believed we signed.

Another wee point, Stirling Albion did not look as good as I expected given their start to the season. I thought we were significantly better.

Poor performance today from the Albion against a physical Clyde team who stopped us playing. Even when we got back to 2-2 in the second half felt that Clyde would score again and so they did. 

Hope we can get it together next week against a Montrose side only a point behind us

Breslin improved considerably in the second half and some of his passing was excellent.However he is very poor in the air and it was obvious thatStirling were aware of this by the number of high balls played to there winger.Having said that we were better than Stirling and there are goals galore in this team.

First class performance from the fans and duly acknowledged by the players at full time.

Another wee point, Stirling Albion did not look as good as I expected given their start to the season. I thought we were significantly better.

Think that was down to how you lot played. Also the curse of the fucking manager of the month award...

Thought the number 10 of Stirling looked a player thought Stirling lacked intensity at times McDonald is still an excellent player
Mc Neill surprises me he is great going forward but as with us Stirling dont utilise him
First half was dreadful second
Half was better from both team
DGW is utter class
Saturday's are good again [emoji6]

Entertaining game of football with two attacking teams. Great to get an away win at last. I think Edinburgh away in October 16 was the last win!

Anyone any the wiser as to why the first Clyde goal was disallowed?

Going forward we look dangerous and capable of scoring but in defence we are horrendous and look equally likely to concede. Munro put in a decent performance but Breslin, McNiff and Currie all made terrible mistakes today.

Burbidge played well in right mid and Nicoll down well too. Ramsay and Wright had poor games while Goodwillie is far too good for this level.

Unfortunately couldn't make today as I was working, however i get the feeling now with the depth of squad we have that this will push the guys in the first team on, as they will feel the pressure of being replaced from a strong bench if they don't perform.

Was really disappointed with us today, we never hit the standards of the previous week but that may have been down to complacency and/or the dirty tactics that Clyde adopted.

Clyde deserved their win in my eyes and sadly for us David Goodwillie was a class above, surely someone higher up will take him off Clyde's hands in January, despite the negative publicity he brings.

For as good as he was though, he looked offside for his first goal from where I was sitting and as his diving antics were embarrassing at times.

Their 2nd goal was horrendous Defending from our part and the 3rd was a clear foul on Caddis (pulled him back) which Clyde won the ball back from. Take nothing away from them, as I said it the start, they were deserving of their win and gave us a lesion on how to be streetwise.

It's back to the drawing board for Mackay, our build up play was slow and lumbered at times, at others our ball into the box was poor or the wrong option.

We're still top of the league and it's been a wonderful start to the season so can't have too many complaints, bad day at the office but bring on Montrose.

Archived