St J vs Hibs

How infuriating must it be playing with stokes? Taking shoot on sight to a whole new level.

Always going to be difficult when you surrender so much possession. Fair play to Tommy for switching to 2 up top to try and get more of a foothold. Tell midfield was knackered last 20 though. We'll play better and lose games this season.

Mcginn was an absolute standout today. Even found time to referee the game too

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a draw ended up being a better result for St Johnstone in the end but I definitely would have taken it before the match.

Bit annoying to have conceded the first goal in our first five matches. On the flip side, having not won a game all year from a losing position last season, I suppose 8 points from that isn't too shabby.

Apart from the absolute bombscare that was Hamilton at home, it seems like we're controlling games most weeks. We've got a pair of confidence players up front, need them to start adding a bit of consistency if we're going to have a good season.

Folk saying Hibs deserved the win? Pish, absolute pish. 
Draw was fair. Hibs had a better drum.

You one of the topless troop next to the scoreboard Tam?

Wee drum & a megaphone [emoji23]

Saints played some good stuff first 20 minutes and created a few half chances. We had a brief flurry after half time up to our goal as well but other than those periods it was mostly Hibs.  

We were poor, none of our ball players played particularly well.. and as much as I love Macca, I thought he gave us very little all game; didn't hold it up to get the midfield involved, and stood behind their centre halves hoping they'd miss headers resulting in them being unchallenged in the air a lot of the time.  

Does seem strange that we pressured Celtic high up the pitch, but sat off Hibs and let them play thru us. I've not seen the centre of our defence opened up like that by wee 1-2's etc often at all under Tommy Wright. Easton had a difficult time against Boyle, who looked excellent.

A combination of Hibs playing well and not letting us play, and most of our footballers being off it, meant Hibs were the better side overall.

Still, we dug in and probably a good point for us going by how the game went.

Nice to see wee Danny didn't have the heart to score against his favourites when clean through though :)

55 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If only we had an experienced midfielder who is excellent at retaining possession on our books. :rolleyes: 

10 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Bring back Millar please.

We were sitting saying this as well when once more the best we could manage was blootering the ball high up the pitch. 

The point about Millar has been done to death, but it should be, and it should continue to be, when it's so glaringly obvious.

No criticism of the players on the park, as it was a great collective effort against decent players to nick a point, but we had no one out there, or on the bench, who could get a hold of the ball and keep us on it for a few passes to take the pressure off.  

Lets not allow a hard fought point to disguise the fact that we were completely outplayed at home today.

I don't see the point in leaving Millar our for McLean, when he clearly has no faith in McLean coming on when we're on the back foot.

A good point for Saints after falling out of the game from about 20 minutes onwards. Positive that we defended pretty well and proved hard to beat when not playing well. A real shame that Anderson made the misjudgment before the equaliser as I thought he followed on from his performance at Celtic Park with another really strong showing, Shaughnessy too.

John McGinn was very good for Hibs, who looked a well coached side.

Game was 20 minutes Saints and there after Hibs.

Thank F**ked Sokes thinks he is a goal scoring machine and takes on shots all the time otherwise we would have been gubbed.

Danny Who was ineffective when he eventually appeared and I am a bit disappointed that Fat boy Neil did not play him from the start as I was looking forward to round two with Foster.

Re Macca there was too big a gap between the rest of the team and Macca for him to be effective.  Speaking to players after the match (was in hospitality) they admitted we were not at our best and the gap back to front was not good.  However as they said who would not take unbeaten at this stage of the season especially when we have visited parkhead.

There were others in hospitality as guests who do not support hibs or saints who reckon we are doing well.

The important thing for me is that we get a win next week against Scumdee.

Onwards and upwards Euro fund still in place for next years fortnight abroad.

Good point that, lot of teams would have crumbled under that pressure but we hang in to get the draw. Thought our goal was cracking too.

Was impressed by Hibs, McGinn excellent and surprised at how well Boyle contributed. Stokes was gash and cost them a comfortable win.

Not sure what happened to us after 20 mins and TW not sure either going my post match comments. Team misses Millar badly and not having him on the bench at least is just silly. Obviously early days and it was a tough game to come into but Johnstone looked like a competition winner to me. Sometimes you just look at a player and think they don't look right.....

Feel free to bookmark.

Hibs seemed to do everything but win the game today, more of the ball, more chances, more zip, feel happy to come away with a point there.

I will admit when Craig stepped up for the free kick in the final minutes my pulse was beating harder than the smacking row z took seconds later 

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Obviously early days and it was a tough game to come into but Johnstone looked like a competition winner to me. Sometimes you just look at a player and think they don't look right.....

Hate to say it, and hope I'm proved wrong, but my early impressions are similar. On the brief showings so far, he looks like a 'squad player'.

Johnstones exactly what I thought he was, just another Cummins. In saying that, he's barely touched the ball for us and spends his time chasing aimless punts, so it's pretty harsh to have any form of judgement on him yet.

2544 Hibs fans in a crowd of 5591, for anyone interested in that type of thing.

Archived