Ross County vs Partick Thistle

Looking forward to our trip North. Hopefully the break for the International unpleasantness will have recharged the players batteries as we seek our first points of the season. 

Thankfully we won't be facing an MOH or a Ryan Christie quality of player and this is a game Thistle must be looking to win (or not lose).

Doolan, Erskine and Lawless relish a game against the Staggies and I think Sammon has scored a few against them in his career. My main concern is in midfield, where Bannigan needs to cut out the brain farts and stick to what he does well. 

Ive really now idea how well line up. Could be a 5-3-2/ 3-5-2 or the old 4-2-3-1. 

I always enjoy a journey up to Dingwall, the return trip is shite if we get beat though, so fingers out Thistle and bring dem points home. Thank you.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team that finished vs Rangers:

Fox

Naismith | Fraser | Davies | Kelly

Gardyne | O'Brien | Draper | Keillor-Dunn

Mikkelsen | Curran

Jimbo has gone for a three-man central midfield in all of his league selections so far.  Given how Thistle have held their own in midfield in last season's fixtures, Jimbo will be tempted to go 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 again. In any guise, the team really needs some width and pace because they're far too predictable and easy to defend against.

I thought this might have been the perfect opportunity to give Davis Keillor-Dunn his first start on the left wing, thinking that he would be up against Milan Nitriansky, who isn't likely to bomb past him the other way like recent opposing right-backs would.  Paul McGinn hasn't played a first team match since 30 April so he will be rusty, will he likely start?

9 September marks exactly a month since Ross Draper signed, so he will be in contention to start now.  Billy Mckay got more game time in the Irn Bru cup so he must be close to starting as well.

ETA the team above really is quite mediocre.  County are clearly a bottom four side this season, fingers crossed not a bottom two side but they could be.  Partick Thistle might not have any points yet but I fully expect them to finish with a six-ten point cushion above County this season.

cerny 

McGinn   Devine   Barton    Turnbull     Elliot

Spittall         Erskine       Bannigan      Lawless

Sammon      

Sammon to start since County are basically a team of big lads. Barton to start as sweeper because he's shit in midfield.

County have been reasonably kind to us since promotion, providing us with our first league win of the season in our first 2 seasons up and also the win which got us off the bottom just before Christmas last year- the key match on the other side of the ledger being the top six decider in 15/16 which went their way. Would be good if they could be kind to us here.

We've certainly got on paper our strongest squad in the Premiership era, but we haven't yet found the best combination in a number of areas. Barton's poor start to the season hasn't helped but shoehorning him, Osman and Bannigan into the same team doesn't look great in a 4-2-3-1, and if we do go 3-5-2 we're almost certainly leaving out 2 of Erskine , Lawless and Spittal. Hopefully McGinn signing will provide a bit of consistency at full back as well.

13 hours ago, Thistle4eva said:

cerny 

McGinn   Devine   Barton    Turnbull     Elliot

Spittall         Erskine       Bannigan      Lawless

Sammon      

Sammon to start since County are basically a team of big lads. Barton to start as sweeper because he's shit in midfield.

Playing one centre midfielder :) brilliant.

I'll happily take a draw here, we were a team of two halves against Sevco. If it's the second half we might sneak a win, but my early season optimism is rapidly diminishing.

On 03/09/2017 at 23:01, Fuctifano said:

County have been reasonably kind to us since promotion, providing us with our first league win of the season in our first 2 seasons up and also the win which got us off the bottom just before Christmas last year- the key match on the other side of the ledger being the top six decider in 15/16 which went their way. Would be good if they could be kind to us here.

We've certainly got on paper our strongest squad in the Premiership era, but we haven't yet found the best combination in a number of areas. Barton's poor start to the season hasn't helped but shoehorning him, Osman and Bannigan into the same team doesn't look great in a 4-2-3-1, and if we do go 3-5-2 we're almost certainly leaving out 2 of Erskine , Lawless and Spittal. Hopefully McGinn signing will provide a bit of consistency at full back as well.

We could go for a 3-4-3 then we would only have to leave out one of Erskine, Lawless and Spittal, I personally would leave out Lawless. 

Cerny 

Devine  Barton  Turnbull 

Nitriansky  Osman  Bannigan  Elliott 

Spittal  Doolan  Erskine  

We could go for a 3-4-3 then we would only have to leave out one of Erskine, Lawless and Spittal, I personally would leave out Lawless. 
Cerny 
Devine  Barton  Turnbull 
Nitriansky  Osman  Bannigan  Elliott 
Spittal  Doolan  Erskine  

I actually like the cut of this jib

42 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

I actually like the cut of this jib

Apart from we've never played a 3-4-3 in a league match under Archie (or ever) that I'm aware of? :P

The shape of the team has actually been quite good this season. Just need to create more chances and we should bring the points home.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

We played it in the St Johnstone Scottish cup game with Welsh and Edwards as wing backs, Osman and Barton in midfield and lawless, amoo and azeez as front 3. May be just a one off due to necessity.

Irregular setup that day; I dunno if 3-4-3 would be the right way to describe it.

Welsh and Edwards sat pretty deep, almost as conventional wing backs. Lawless and Amoo were probably in the same position as they'd normally be in our 4-2-3-1 also, noticeably deeper than Azeez.

3-2-2-2-1 maybe? f**k knows.

Pure 3-4-3's are a fantasy formation used by FM players, really. Apart from clubs like Barcelona, who can get away with playing whatever they want. We'd get ripped apart if we used that in a Premiership game.

Don't have a clue what Jimbo is planning, if hes even planning at all. Its sure as hell to be boring, lifeless, heartless and down right frustrating. Really makes me wonder what he works on at training all week.

Oh but we will kick in to action when we go 1-0 down for about twenty mins, score, take the game by the balls but eventually be caught out by our lack of midfiled - or non existing one.

14 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Irregular setup that day; I dunno if 3-4-3 would be the right way to describe it.

Basically a 5-4-1 I would have said, not dissimilar to how Scotland lined up a few years ago. I think Archie wanted to protect our 'fullbacks' so played 3 at the back in that game. I think the same formation could work again given the personnel available and Barton's struggles with Bannigan in midfield - I would though hope that against County we could afford to go with a more attacking fullback than Nitriansky but that really depends on McGinn's fitness. 

I suspect that JM will be under a degree of pressure to get 3 points from this one but unless he comes up with a hitherto unseen cunning plan I am not convinced he will. The table does lie at the moment and I am not buying the Jags position at present. I think they will stack midfield (on the basis that we don't have a coherent structure there) and hit us hard and fast from the get go. The same    as you were line up isn't going to do it for us but I realise that our options are pretty limited. In saying that I think the fans are now getting to the point where a significant change in personnel and style will be forgiven even if it fails on the first few outings.

All for Barton dropping into CB role, this seems to work a lot better for us and considering Keown is suspended it seems the logical solution. Also it was painful to watch him in midfield against Aberdeen at times. If Erskine and Spittal play anywhere as good as they did in the last game that would be lovely.

Archived