How much is your hoose

locheedfcno1

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

As we're on the topic of houses, if anyone is looking for a 3 bed semi in a (genuinely) nice part of Fife, I may or may not know the current owners...

https://espc.com/property/47-humbie-terrace-aberdour-ky3-0xp/35535354?sid=24640576942

Edit: it's also roughly a 4 min walk to the station so handy for trains to Edinburgh emoji57.png

"Genuinely nice part of Fife...", this isn't the joke thread mate.

As we're on the topic of houses, if anyone is looking for a 3 bed semi in a (genuinely) nice part of Fife, I may or may not know the current owners...
https://espc.com/property/47-humbie-terrace-aberdour-ky3-0xp/35535354?sid=24640576942
Edit: it's also roughly a 4 min walk to the station so handy for trains to Edinburgh [emoji57]

200k in Fife [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

No idea. Renting it off the farmer till i qualify for a mortgage over here. 4 beds 3 bathrooms.2 Sitting rooms a huge kitchen. Utility room and sun room. A loft that covers the entire top floor and could be converted. No neighbours and at the arse end of the arse end of nowhere.

One eir get the collective fingers out arse and get the exchange updated in rossmore then i am laughing

Have you considered Perthshire ?  

To add to this I think Kinross would be a fine place to live. Good sized town with everything you need, nice and central and near the motorway and will for ever remind me of T in the Park.

21 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I rent. $3500 a month for a 2 bedroom flat.
I can't believe the prices of housing in the Midwest. They basically give them away.

Crazy money. My sister rents a flat in Brooklyn for about $2200 but SF is on another level. I suppose that's why you hear about young professionals living in shipping containers etc.

I'll be in SF at Christmas so I look forward to seeing all these presumably gold-plated apartment blocks.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

To add to this I think Kinross would be a fine place to live. Good sized town with everything you need, nice and central and near the motorway and will for ever remind me of T in the Park.

I don't like you moving too close to Dundee TBH.  I like Leith but maybe best if you're single/couple without kids/retired.

I don't like you moving too close to Dundee TBH.  I like Leith but maybe best if you're single/couple without kids/retired.

You would be the last person I would bother if I moved closer to Dundee so don't you worry.

There aren't that many houses in Leith and it's mostly flats which aren't ideal for kids obviously. We have a 2 bedroom flat so it's fine for a few years at least.

If you, for example buy a house for £120k and borrow £100k of that for a mortgage and then 10 years down the line want a nicer house at £185k so need to borrow a further £65k then how does the home owner benefit from the £120k house going up in value? You are still paying off a loan to the bank so how does the increase in property value benefit you as a home owner when you are still paying off a loan?

11 minutes ago, throbber said:

If you, for example buy a house for £120k and borrow £100k of that for a mortgage and then 10 years down the line want a nicer house at £185k so need to borrow a further £65k then how does the home owner benefit from the £120k house going up in value? You are still paying off a loan to the bank so how does the increase in property value benefit you as a home owner when you are still paying off a loan?

You might be able to cash in the equity without selling. Or you might be able to borrow against the equity.

And you'll benefit when you come to sell. In your scenario above, you will need to borrow £20k less than if the house hadn't increased in value. 

Then again, if you're moving up the ladder, the increase in the 1st place might well be less than that of the 2nd.

30 minutes ago, throbber said:

So you buy a house for £120k, and borrow £100k, so you've out in £20k of your own.

Let's say you sell for £130k, so you now have £30k of your own money, which you can use some or all of for your next deposit.

When you buy your next house for £185k, if you put the full £30k in as deposit, your mortgage is £155k.  So you've got house worth £55k more than your old one (or £65k more if you want to compare purchase prices), but your mortgage is only £35k more.

And if your original mortgage was Capital and Interest, then you'll have a lot less than £100K to pay back to clear it, so your profit will be even bigger.

49 minutes ago, throbber said:

Depends what you're doing. Generally it doesn't. 

If you sell your house that's gone up by 20%, and you buy a more expensive house that has gone up by the same..... You lose.

If you downsize you win.

Anyway, my pad in Shepherds Bush is about 550k and my missus has a 200k flat in some shitty part of east London. Jointly we own a wee pad in Glasgow worth about 120k. 

8 minutes ago, throbber said:

Well thats great then, I didn't know how the banks dealt with it and assumed they benefited from the enhanced sale price.

Nope, your only obligation is to clear what you owe them when you sell up.

The only time they profit is if you've had some sort of shared ownership purchase deal with them, say if you buy a £100k house, and you take a mortgage for £80k, without having the £20k to put down.  Your lender pays the £20k, and effectively takes a 20% stake in your property.  

If you subsequently sell for £120k, you get 80% of that, which equals £96k. You have to clear your mortgage, so will make at least £16k. The bank get their 20% share, the other £24k, so they've made a £4k profit too, although they also get their £80k that they loaned you for the mortgage back too (plus they've had all the interest that you've paid during the mortgage term too.

How a bank can fail to make a profit always mystifies me.

Archived