How much is your hoose

locheedfcno1

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, throbber said:

My next move will be for a 3 or 4 bedroom house which i will probably pay a maximum of 220k for and that will be me until retirement unless i win the lottery. Will probably move out of the city towards central Scotland depending on work.

Aren't you about to graduate as an engineer? You better get used to working away from home if you work in construction as it's only during the boom times that you can pick and choose where you work.

5 hours ago, sjc said:

Very "keeping up with the Joneses" this thread.

Indeed!

Wouldn't be hard for the Jones family to keep up with me now though. £50k bought me a 5-bedroom/3-bathroom house here in the Philippines. Compare that to an 850 foot apartment in Hong Kong sold for £750k in 2009.

13 hours ago, throbber said:

My next move will be for a 3 or 4 bedroom house which i will probably pay a maximum of 220k for and that will be me until retirement unless i win the lottery. Will probably move out of the city towards central Scotland depending on work.

Youll need to move to Armadale or Blackridge to keep your EH postcode for that money.

Aren't you about to graduate as an engineer? You better get used to working away from home if you work in construction as it's only during the boom times that you can pick and choose where you work.

Yeah I have graduated and am in this position right now re working away. Great timing with the child on the way as well.

Buying and selling is an absolute lottery.  We sold a house 10 years ago for £400k, it has recently come back on the market.  Looking at the schedule the folk have spent a fair bit of money on it.

They had it on offers over £450k but have now reduced it to £430k fixed.  Taking account of inflation and the amount they have spent, in real terms they are set to lose a bundle.

In fairness we also lost a bit on the house we bought afterwards but it was little compared to this.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Buying and selling is an absolute lottery.  We sold a house 10 years ago for £400k, it has recently come back on the market.  Looking at the schedule the folk have spent a fair bit of money on it..

No doubt they would have needed to spend a "fair bit of money on it" - especially after you had lived in it.

59 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Buying and selling is an absolute lottery.  We sold a house 10 years ago for £400k, it has recently come back on the market.  Looking at the schedule the folk have spent a fair bit of money on it.

They had it on offers over £450k but have now reduced it to £430k fixed.  Taking account of inflation and the amount they have spent, in real terms they are set to lose a bundle.

In fairness we also lost a bit on the house we bought afterwards but it was little compared to this.

Have you got about 40 armchairs in your living room? 

My neighbour bought their house 2 years before me. Identical terrace cottage apart from I have 100 foot long garden and they don't. They paid €275k in the boom times and spent even more on a shit extension with a kitchen and toilet and I paid €120k

As we're on the topic of houses, if anyone is looking for a 3 bed semi in a (genuinely) nice part of Fife, I may or may not know the current owners...
https://espc.com/property/47-humbie-terrace-aberdour-ky3-0xp/35535354?sid=24640576942
Edit: it's also roughly a 4 min walk to the station so handy for trains to Edinburgh [emoji57]

That's literally round the corner from where I used to live. Lovely wee village.

Archived