Why do you follow the team you follow

The Stig

2 hours ago, cal234ey said:

I've watched the NFL for 2/3 years without a team before deciding to pick one last year. I was watching redzone and decided the next team with a losing record in the previous season to score a TD would be my team. That landed me with the Chargers. 

The only team that  have worse luck with injuries than the Bears

I think I just picked the Bears as I used to watch Basketball heavily in the 90's whenever I got the chance and at that point the Pippen/Jordan Bulls were supreme, so I just picked Chicago as a team to follow the teams of.

Sadly, that's lumbered me with the Bears, who already look absolutely terrible after a promising first game. 

About 3 years ago I decided I'd start following NFL after watching NBA for a long time previous, I literally had no idea about the sport only that I would watch red zone and try and pick it up, I knew I would be more likely to stick to it if I had a team and my favourite colour is purple which seemed as good an idea as any to choose a team from, thus gave me the Vikings. Poor reason, but it's now become arguably my favourite sport and I'm Vikings daft. 

I just chose a team at almost-random - I didn't want to be a glory hunter and wanted to support a team that weren't a brand new or expansion team.  Went with the Lions, what a choice.  Undefeated in Super Bowls.

Didn't we decide you'd be following the Browns?

I  like a lot of the team and have merch from a good few of them. As a Scot watching a foreign sport I find it a bit strange when people are massive fans of say, Barcelona, Madrid, or in this case The Giants or The Packers etc etc. I follow whoever catches my eye. At the moment it is Matt Ryan and the Falcons, who are by far and away the best team (offence) to watch at the moment, and for me that's as far as it goes.

So to answer the question, why do I follow who I follow, the answer is, whoever takes my fancy at that particular time.

1 hour ago, Swarley said:

Didn't we decide you'd be following the Browns?

Nah.  I quite like the Browns though and I'm going to the Browns-Vikings game at Twickenham.

My wife bought me a Lions hoodie for my birthday so if I scab off and support someone else she will probably divorce me.

4 hours ago, Hands_Free said:

I  like a lot of the team and have merch from a good few of them. As a Scot watching a foreign sport I find it a bit strange when people are massive fans of say, Barcelona, Madrid, or in this case The Giants or The Packers etc etc. I follow whoever catches my eye. At the moment it is Matt Ryan and the Falcons, who are by far and away the best team (offence) to watch at the moment, and for me that's as far as it goes.

So to answer the question, why do I follow who I follow, the answer is, whoever takes my fancy at that particular time.

I get that when theres a local alternative but in the case of the NFL there isnt really.

We used to go and watch the Glasgow Lions in the late 80s, early 90s when there was a pretty decent UK league.

In my day this was called being a glory hunter! [emoji6]

First time I seen American football was in the late 70's,they were showing highlights of a game on World of Sport. It was Dallas v's Washington.Enjoyed watching and decided that I would pick the team in blue over the team in tangerine(ish), easy choice. Followed them ever since.

Bills. Thurman Thomas was ace on Madden 93 on the Mega Drive. Then I watched a bit on C4 and the four in a row Superbowl failures story was fascinating. Around this time the Dons were second to Rangers pretty regularly so I think there was some subconscious link there too.

I lost interest from the mid 90s until around 2007 when my flatmate was working for Sky and we got the full Sky package, randomly shoved the NFL on and just got back into it. Should really have jumped away from the Bills at that point but ah well.

First season I was either going to be the Dolphins because Miami is my favourite city or San Francisco because my auntie is American and lives in Livermore and I knew she went to games. So started watching the Dolphins and SF in my 1st season of watching and I just couldn't take to the Dolphins colours etc so edged towards SF, I then realised that Oakland basically is SF so was split between the 2 of them.

Really liked the 49ers because of the new stadium, the colours and the history and really liked the Raiders because they're just cool as f**k.

So when my mum went over last summer I told her to surprise me and bring home stuff from the team my auntie went to watch, she came home with Raiders gear, and some Super Bowl items cause the Super Bowl was in SF a few months earlier and my auntie went to the game and bought stuff.

Turns out the place she stays is exactly 27 miles from Oakland and 27 miles from the 49ers new stadium.

Auntie sends me whatsapps videos of the Raiders home games all the time now. [emoji1]

First got into the sport in 1989 when I went to college and there was a chap there heavily into it, so he basically taught me all the rules, etc. Gave me loads of videos of games as well. 

He was (and still is) a big Redskins fan, and he told me it's more fun to watch if you support a team. At the time, the only American Football player I had heard of was Dan Marino, so I chose to follow the Dolphins, and have been a Fins fan ever since. 

To this day, I thank the lord that the only player I'd heard of wasn't Bernie Kosar...

On 19/09/2017 at 12:07, IainMorton said:

Can't imagine listening to American Football on the radio would be much fun... :lol: 

I used to do this every Sunday night loved it. The biggest challenge was finding a space where your radio could pick up reception. The only place in my house it managed this was halfway up the stairs. Was still living at home at the time, and used to get strange looks from my maw :lol: