Why do you follow the team you follow

The Stig

I was an NFL fan for ages but didn’t support a team. I’d been to one game in the USA - Redskins v Cowboys, and had done a few stadium tours - Louisiana Superdome, the old Cowboys stadium... was still a fan of the sport, but not a team. In 2009 my wife and I visited Denver for the first time and did the stadium tour. It was the summer and there were a grand total of three people on the tour. The two of us, plus a young American soldier, who was returning home to California after a tour of duty in Iraq. He was a Broncos fan, but had never even managed to see the stadium, never mind get to a Broncos home game. The kid was in desert fatigues, carrying the biggest backpack you’ve ever seen.

The tour guide was an elderly gent. He said to the soldier that there was normally a discount for service personnel, but to thank him for his service, and the effort he was making after flying all the way from Iraq and had stopped in Denver just to do the tour,  it would be on the house today. He also said he’d show us places not normally on the tour. True to his word, the guide allowed us into Pat Bowlen’s private owners suite, into the Broncos home dressing room, and a few other places besides. The kid was made-up, the tour guide made his day. We spoke with the soldier and he left the stadium heading straight to the airport with a smile on his face.

We thought the elderly tour guide was a class act. The other people we met at Mile High stadium that day were really friendly towards us too, so on the spot, right there, we became Denver Broncos fans.  We loved the city of Denver too. The QB then was Kyle Orton, and the tour guide thought an 8-8 season would be the best they could realistically hope for. The Broncos came to Wembley in 2010 and we went down to see them. They lost to the 49ers... but then came Tebow, Manning, and the rest is history. We have since been back to Denver three times, including a trip specifically to see a home game. It was in what turned out to be the Super Bowl 50 winning season. It was the victory over the Patriots in OT. Osweilers finest night in a Broncos uniform. Amazing scenes, mental. What a night in the snow as Tom Brady ran off the field and straight up the tunnel with a face like fizz.

It just goes to show what a good first impression can achieve. That tour guide, he created two new Broncos fans for life.

I was an NFL fan for ages but didn’t support a team. I’d been to one game in the USA - Redskins v Cowboys, and had done a few stadium tours - Louisiana Superdome, the old Cowboys stadium... was still a fan of the sport, but not a team. In 2009 my wife and I visited Denver for the first time and did the stadium tour. It was the summer and there were a grand total of three people on the tour. The two of us, plus a young American soldier, who was returning home to California after a tour of duty in Iraq. He was a Broncos fan, but had never even managed to see the stadium, never mind get to a Broncos home game. The kid was in desert fatigues, carrying the biggest backpack you’ve ever seen.
The tour guide was an elderly gent. He said to the soldier that there was normally a discount for service personnel, but to thank him for his service, and the effort he was making after flying all the way from Iraq and had stopped in Denver just to do the tour,  it would be on the house today. He also said he’d show us places not normally on the tour. True to his word, the guide allowed us into Pat Bowlen’s private owners suite, into the Broncos home dressing room, and a few other places besides. The kid was made-up, the tour guide made his day. We spoke with the soldier and he left the stadium heading straight to the airport with a smile on his face.
We thought the elderly tour guide was a class act. The other people we met at Mile High stadium that day were really friendly towards us too, so on the spot, right there, we became Denver Broncos fans.  We loved the city of Denver too. The QB then was Kyle Orton, and the tour guide thought an 8-8 season would be the best they could realistically hope for. The Broncos came to Wembley in 2010 and we went down to see them. They lost to the 49ers... but then came Tebow, Manning, and the rest is history. We have since been back to Denver three times, including a trip specifically to see a home game. It was in what turned out to be the Super Bowl 50 winning season. It was the victory over the Patriots in OT. Osweilers finest night in a Broncos uniform. Amazing scenes, mental. What a night in the snow as Tom Brady ran off the field and straight up the tunnel with a face like fizz.
It just goes to show what a good first impression can achieve. That tour guide, he created two new Broncos fans for life.

America......f**k yeah

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t know why I’ve never checked p&b for a NFL forum before now!!

Remember watching C4 highlights back in the day and loving Warren Moon and the high scoring Oilers. The owner then fell out with the city (only in America) and moved them to Teenesee so I drifted away from the sport.

Thankfully Houston won a new franchise and the Texans were born. Only started following them again about 4 years ago but can’t get enough of them or the sport. Heading for the states for the first time in my life in December to see us play Colts at home and Jets away. Can’t wait!!!  Here’s hoping we can avoid an injury savaged season unlike last time out. 

On 5/20/2018 at 21:33, Bino said:

Don’t know why I’ve never checked p&b for a NFL forum before now!!

Remember watching C4 highlights back in the day and loving Warren Moon and the high scoring Oilers. The owner then fell out with the city (only in America) and moved them to Teenesee so I drifted away from the sport.

Thankfully Houston won a new franchise and the Texans were born. Only started following them again about 4 years ago but can’t get enough of them or the sport. Heading for the states for the first time in my life in December to see us play Colts at home and Jets away. Can’t wait!!!  Here’s hoping we can avoid an injury savaged season unlike last time out. 

Attending the games is a real experience.  I am sure you will enjoy it although it will be a shame that your first live game will be a loss. ;)

Remember and get there early to take in the full game day experience.

3 hours ago, strichener said:

Attending the games is a real experience.  I am sure you will enjoy it although it will be a shame that your first live game will be a loss. ;)

Remember and get there early to take in the full game day experience.

Ha ha the Colts need a QB first although Jacoby Brisset has a better record than Luck of late against us

Given the whole trip is Texans orientated (with a side trip to a mates) I’d be daft not to get there mega early.  Can’t wait 

• 2 years later...
On 21/09/2017 at 15:55, Mr X said:

We used to go and watch the Glasgow Lions in the late 80s, early 90s when there was a pretty decent UK league.

Plowing through threads in a post nightshift run/bodyclock on tokyo time style. 

I vaguely remeber going to a few lions games with relatives that were regulars and took my brother and myself along.

Apart from loving the atmosphere of the fans and intensity of the game itself the things i remember from the games are 'here we go lions here we go *clap clap*', Sinitta's So Macho being blasted over the tannoy at levels that would deafen your grandchildren and my second all time favourite sporting song slightly behind 'deep fry your pizza' to italians,after a heavy hit on an opponent a rousing chorus of 'hope you die' from the crowd.

The Scottish Claymores was sanitised dugshit in comparison tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

Like others, was hooked in by the Channel 4 show in the 80s. Me and my mate got really into it, we bought an American football and tossed it about in the park (inciting shouts of Wankers!). I chose the Cowboys and he chose the Dolphins. I now loathe the Cowboys and take great pleasure in their downfall.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a team if I'm being honest. Never been to a game, not got any relatives over there. 

I'm thinking I really should have one but to be honest I love the sport enough without having that emotional attachment. 

My son likes the Panthers (nice logo apparently 😉) would love to take the family over in the future to see a game. Obviously in different times from now. 

On 08/01/2021 at 13:20, PB1994 said:

My mate was telling me to start watching the NFL and to pick a team as it would make it more interesting. Went for the Falcons purely cause I liked the look of their stadium.

We should all at least be thankful that Gillette Stadium is an ugly pile of pish.

• 4 weeks later...

Bengals - mate of mine had got the Channel 4 American football annual in the mid-80s and it had a map in the endpapers of the States with the helmets of the teams at the time superimposed, and the stripes jumped out at me. It was at that time when it took off in fairly big style here, and everybody was scrambling to find "their" team.

The Superbowl run of '89 aside it's been fairly slim pickings, but it's never been less than interesting...

Edited by Hillonearth

I still haven't found "my" team. Love the sport, not sure I care that much about having a team to "support". Tenuous family connections to Atlanta and San Francisco but not enough to make me feel any real connection! 

Tbh, as a Thistle and Scotland fan I'm not convinced I need any more heartbreak so quite happy just watching for the sake of it...