Motherwell vs Kilmarnock 9/9/17

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deserved to win on the 2nd half performance, Kilmarnock had the best chances in the first half though and Brophy should have put them 1-0 up.  And that was Kilmarnock's big problem, no cutting edge up front.

Changes at half time made us a different team, especially ditching the awful Dunne who must have the lowest pass completion stats in the history.

Felt taking off Hartley was a wrong move and unsettled us a bit but even though Kilmarnock came back into the match in the last 10 minutes I felt we were still well worth the win.

EDIT - Forgot to mention Allan Campbell is a star in the making.  Our best player this season.  Hardly put a foot wrong.

Campbell put in a superb shift today and the only black mark was his booking. 

One of the most encouraging signs for us is that when we manage to get into our stride in matches our ball movement and teamwork is excellent in the final third of the park; Moult, Bowman and Tait in particular today never gave up on anything in the second half and chased everything down, Moult even managed to win a corner off Broadfoot in the dying minutes when there seemed like nothing was on for him. This team actually appears to have some fight and will to win about them which is great to see.

35 minutes ago, MJC said:

Campbell put in a superb shift today and the only black mark was his booking. 

One of the most encouraging signs for us is that when we manage to get into our stride in matches our ball movement and teamwork is excellent in the final third of the park; Moult, Bowman and Tait in particular today never gave up on anything in the second half and chased everything down, Moult even managed to win a corner off Broadfoot in the dying minutes when there seemed like nothing was on for him. This team actually appears to have some fight and will to win about them which is great to see.

Not sure that Campbell got booked.  Kipre, Hammell & Grimshaw?

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

Not sure that Campbell got booked.  Kipre, Hammell & Grimshaw?

On checking Twitter I think you're right, it was Grimshaw rather than Campbell who picked up a yellow, my mistake.

On 08/09/2017 at 18:43, MJC said:

I've always found Kilmarnock to be a bit of an irritation over the years. They are a similar sized club to ourselves and we both take points off each other on a season by season basis and the games are never classics but they had a knack of nicking late winners at Fir Park in games we'd outplayed them in, usually to win 2-1 (the dear old FP scoreboard must have had a specific 'Motherwell 1 Kilmarnock 2 screen going the amount of times it displayed that scoreline) as they often did in the late 90s through the the 00s so that always made it sweeter whenever we beat them. The fact that they've managed to bag both domestic Cups since we last won anything irks as well.

The games that stick out are the unexpected 5-0 romp under Malpas, the 'Dick Turpin' defeat, us winning 1-0 down there to kick off the 2003 Cup run and then going back there the following midweek and losing 0-1 after Dunbourdeau conceded a late penalty by heidering a Killie player.

I thought Dubourdeau inexplicably elbowed him. It was The Flask that heedered someone (although I maintain the contact was minimal and the ref was conned).

Ah well we had a good run, time has finally caught up with us. Time to say goodbye.

No...no...nope. We're not doing that. We're not going to be one of those supports that posts one of these awful premature farewells. Dunfermline did it, Dundee United did it, ICT last year the same - It's twee and it's shite whining patter and we're better than that.

If indeed this is the year it ends, I want us to go down like the string quartet on the Titanic. 'Mon and lets show a bit of fucking decorum...

No...no...nope. We're not doing that. We're not going to be one of those supports that posts one of these awful premature farewells. Dunfermline did it, Dundee United did it, ICT last year the same - It's twee and it's shite whining patter and we're better than that.

If indeed this is the year it ends, I want us to go down like the string quartet on the Titanic. 'Mon and lets show a bit of fucking decorum...

Should we send the players out in tuxedos?

Should we send the players out in tuxedos?

You know what? Yeah. Send the fuckers out in tuxedos.

If this is our farewell tour it's only right that we enjoy it. They could play dressed as a troupe of mimes....to match the home crowd. Zing.

Archived