Kezia Dugdale

Donathan

A more concerning aspect for SLab is how in the name of purple f**k are they going to continue this epic trend of replacing the previous incumbent with someone even more hilariously shit.

Two words for you: Anas Sarwar

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full text of Kezia Dugdale's resignation letter:
Dear Linda,
As Chair of the party, I am writing to you today to resign as Leader of the Scottish Labour Party.
It has been an honour and a privilege to have served this party in a leadership position for the last two and a half years, covering four national elections and one referendum.
I have worked with many great people, not least the staff in our HQ led by Brian Roy and those in the Scottish Parliament, whose boundless energy, expertise and good humour has guided our party through some dark hours and difficult times.
I'd like to thank my shadow cabinet for their efforts, and in particular Iain Gray for his unflinching love and support and James Kelly for the thankless but crucial job he does so well as our Business Manager.
Earlier this year I lost a dear friend who taught me a lot about how to live. His terminal illness forced him to identify what he really wanted from life, how to make the most of it and how to make a difference. He taught me how precious and short life was and never to waste a moment.
Being leader has always been a difficult but fulfilling challenge. One that until now I have enjoyed, driven by a clear guiding purpose and goals, many of which I have achieved.
I am proud of the fact that I've demonstrated how the parliament's powers can be used to stop austerity with progressive taxes and the creation of new benefits. Proud to have advanced the call for federalism across the UK. Proud to have delivered real autonomy for the Scottish Labour Party and a guaranteed voice for Scotland and Wales on the NEC.
Educational inequality is the number one issue in Scottish politics after the constitution because Scottish Labour under my leadership put it there.
I am proud to have delivered 50/50 slates of amazing and diverse candidates in both the Scottish and U.K. Elections and equally proud to have invested in the next generation of labour activists and parliamentarians with leadership programmes. These have already furnished us with two of our magnificent seven MPs. With that re-established Scottish Labour group at Westminster, and a talented and effective group in Holyrood, Scottish Labour has a bright future.
A marker of success for me was to leave as leader with the party in better shape than I found it and I have done that.
Emerging from the challenging times following the 2014 referendum, and the 2015 UK election, we now have a solid platform on which to build towards success, and government.
I have given the task of achieving this all that I have. But with nearly four years now until the next Scottish Parliament elections, I am convinced that the party needs a new leader with fresh energy, drive and a new mandate to take the party into that contest.
I will continue as a Labour MSP for the Lothians and am already looking forward to spending more time with constituents and on constituency issues.
Too often our leaders leave in a crisis, with scores to settle. I love this party too much for that to be my way. There will be no press conference and no off the record briefing in my name. I choose to stand down because I believe it is best for me and best for Scottish Labour, at a time when we can be positive and optimistic about our future.
I remain in awe of all those party activists who devote their time to this movement without pay or reward. I thank them for their belief in me.
Yours in solidarity,
Kez Dugdale

In what way did she advance the cause of federalism?... is the first thing to come to mind.

Well it had to happen. She led SLAB to 3rd place in Holyrood and Westminster. The small upturn in May was more down to Corbyn than her. It's a tough gig . And it will be interesting to see who goes for it and who gets it. McIntosh is no P.O.. Rowley her depute is more in tune with Corbyn. Sarwar would be a disaster as he is a one trick pony. Baillie? Too Tridenty.

It won't be Murray after his tear stained resignation from the Shadow Cabinet 

Sarwar would plumb new debts, too good to be true 

An utter walloper, if anyone from the SNP even farts in his direction he foams at the mouth 

Jesus Christ, even her resignation letter reads like it was written by a not-particularly-gifted high school student. Given the amount she is paid, one would think she could employ someone to sort out the grammar.

The fact that she claims to have achieved her goals (and is proud of what she's managed) might mean those who though her a double agent were right all along. Perhaps her mission was to make SLab Scotland's third party. Not really...

They had to get rid of her to be taken seriously in a Holyrood context, so I suspect she was very much pushed. She always looked like a placeholder until their fortunes turned again and serious candidates wanted to take the job and was so lightweight politically that there was genuine paranoia that she was some sort of SNP plant. Will be interesting to see if the Corbynites can get a left winger elected, while he still has some wind in his sails from the better than expected general election performance.

Not to generalise but I genuinely believe that they have the thickest bunch of politicians by quite a bit. The SNP have their odd gaffes and incompetent minister but mostly, I've actually even heard quite right wing people consider their government containing competent administrators and quite respectable in their work. I think most consider the Conservatives as nasty b*****ds but there is competence in their strategy and they have been quite good at capitalising on circumstance in the last few years.

I think their best hope is maybe to just go for Alex Rowley and hope he can learn how to handle media performances better on the job. I imagine Findlay is in a pretty good position to win it if he stands but there's the potential he could make a massive clusterfuck of things as he's not the most likeable personality.

Archived