TNS vs Livingston

AMC13

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Quite odd that they are mixing the penalty shoot out systems. You'd think it would be the same one for the entire tournament. 

Agreed, nobody aside from the ref seemed to know what was going on. 

Given we won the tournament 3 years ago, I am not too bothered that we've been knocked out on penalties. TNS aren't a terrible team, it certainly could have been worse. Delighted for the guys who went down and had another fun away day, shame they didn't get a win to add to it.

2 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Agreed, nobody aside from the ref seemed to know what was going on. 

Given we won the tournament 3 years ago, I am not too bothered that we've been knocked out on penalties. TNS aren't a terrible team, it certainly could have been worse. Delighted for the guys who went down and had another fun away day, shame they didn't get a win to add to it.

Everybody looked very bewildered.

According to the Rules & Regulations of the Challenge Cup - https://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__challengecupregulations201730june_1501603596.pdf

DI0DJYjXgAEunwr.jpg

And those Laws state - http://www.theifab.com/laws/determining-the-outcome-of-a-match/chapters/kicks-from-the-penalty-mark

DI0DKA1XUAAdt8x.jpg

I know various competitions have experimented with the ABBA format recently.  Has the SPFL said this was the case with the Challenge Cup?  You'd think the rules and regulations would have been updated if that was the case.

Could be looking at a replay here?

ABBA is only supposed to be used in competitions with specified approval AFAIA, and the Challenge Cup is not one of them? Has referee messed-up?

Other shootout this tournament under usual model (Ayr-Montrose).

Not a great game; two fairly even teams, with Livi having slightly more possession. Todorov will be sick as a parrot for missing that sitter. Still, having TNS still in it makes the draw more interesting. Watch them get Cove Rangers or Montrose.

FWIW, the referee was consulting with someone on the pitch after the first penalty was taken - might have something to do with it?

Bit farcical regardless - one of them games so far has used the wrong system. :lol:

30 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Abba system now these days

30 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

The new ABBA system, makes it fairer because it shares the pressure or something like that.

That's not the case... like 4th sub in extratime, VAR, sin bins, 5 subs and rolling subs in recreational football, etc. - permission has been given for experiments in specific competitions (like the Community Shield in England and certain age-grade international tournaments).

Seen nothing about the Challenge Cup being one, and there can't be 2 incompatible tiebreak formats operating in the same cup, surely.

2 minutes ago, Afro said:

FWIW, the referee was consulting with someone on the pitch after the first penalty was taken - might have something to do with it?

Bit farcical regardless - one of them games so far has used the wrong system. :lol:

I dont think there will be any comeback other than issuing future instructions. At the end of the day they all had the same amount of penalties.

I dont think there will be any comeback other than issuing future instructions. At the end of the day they all had the same amount of penalties.

I'm not disputing the fact we were beaten on penalties - just makes this competition, the SPFL, and the referee look like total amateurs.

1 minute ago, Afro said:

I'm not disputing the fact we were beaten on penalties - just makes this competition, the SPFL, and the referee look like total amateurs.

Thats not my point, I'm just saying theyre unlikely to replay a game just because the penalties were taken in a different order.

Ref's from Eire, btw.

Surely it can't be something ridiculous like if the tie is played in Wales one format is used; if played in Scotland another; etc.?! Doesn't say that in rules, anyway.

What would happen if TNS drew Montrose in R3 and it ended drawn after extratime?

Thats not my point, I'm just saying theyre unlikely to replay a game just because the penalties were taken in a different order.

A replay would be an extremely unlikely (and pretty unnecessary) outcome to all of this. Just makes the SPFL look a bit amateur, tbh.

Its certainly odd to have two different systems in the same competition. The ref sent Todorov back to the centre when he went to take the kick, so he was pretty definite. Maybe the ref at Ayr forgot a rule change?

The SPFL Irn Bru Cup rules.

4.6 In all rounds the Competition shall be conducted on ‘knockout’ basis with the winner being the Club/club with the greater number of goals at full-time. If the scores are equal at full time or no goals have been scored, an extra thirty minutes (15 minutes each way) of extra time will be played (“Extra Time”) and, if the scores are still equal or still no goals have been scored at the end of such Extra Time, the winner shall be determined by taking Penalty Kicks.
4.7 If Penalty Kicks are required, the Match referee determines which goal will be used as follows:
4.7.1 if the Match referee determines that either goal could be used for the Penalty Kicks, then, in the presence of the two captains, the referee shall toss a coin to decide which goal will be used; or
4.7.2 if for reasons of safety/security, condition of the field of play, lighting or other reason, the Match referee determines that a particular goal shall be used for the Penalty Kicks, such decision is final and requires no justification.
4.8 Following the procedure set out in Regulation 4.7, the Match referee shall toss a coin and the Club/club that wins the toss shall decide whether to take the first or second Penalty Kick.

Archived