St Mirren v ICT

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

This is one of only 2 league games I can recall between Rangers and St. Mirren at Ibrox which was played midweek (although there were a few midweek League Cup ties between the sides at Ibrox, none of the crowds was as low as 8000)..

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1980&GameID=198104150

The crowd was 7985 but Ricky McFarlane was the Saints manager and 1981 was still a bit early for Durrant.

The other was this game from the following season, crowd 4765 :o

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1981&GameID=198205050

I recall going to scumbrox midweek when Alex Miller was just about to take over, when we were managerless. Rumours were that he did the Morton team talk then hot footed it up to watch us. League cup I believe on 5/10/83.

We were on the receiving end of a 5-0 shoeing.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I recall going to scumbrox midweek when Alex Miller was just about to take over, when we were managerless. Rumours were that he did the Morton team talk then hot footed it up to watch us. League cup I believe on 5/10/83.

We were on the receiving end of a 5-0 shoeing.

Yeah, that was the season that the League Cup was knockout for the frist couple of rounds then bizarrely split into sections of 4 with each side playing each other home and away. We drew at home with Hearts and Clydebank and lost the other 4 matches including the 5-0 at Ibrox.

9 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Sandy was probably getting mixed up with Jimmy Durante.

I remember the game, I think I recall Harry Belafonte playing at right half.

Reminiscing is such fun and who would have thought that Alex Ferguson would go on to achieve so much in the game.

For modern parallels of committed players that cut their managerial teeth, my thoughts drift north to Brora and marvel at the job Ross Tokely is doing there.

54 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It is and most have - that's this fad just reaching Inverness a mere 30 years late

It was 30 years ago we did have a hooligan element, Caley v Elgin or Caley v Buckie, not to different from Junior football among rivals these days. In more recent times the entire village idiot collective would appear at Clach games to punch OAPs from the likes of Banff and Larbert.

Anyway feel free to grab each one of those scrotes around the neck and rub the top of their skulls with your knuckles or give them the bumps which should leave them in a crying heap. Probably won't happen anyway, probably will be too scared of ending up with concrete socks and dumped in the Paisley Canal.

20 hours ago, sophia said:

I remember the game, I think I recall Harry Belafonte playing at right half.

Reminiscing is such fun and who would have thought that Alex Ferguson would go on to achieve so much in the game.

For modern parallels of committed players that cut their managerial teeth, my thoughts drift north to Brora and marvel at the job Ross Tokely is doing there.

Not forgetting Darren Dods at Brechin City who was a stalwart for many years.

9 hours ago, CityDave said:

It was 30 years ago we did have a hooligan element, Caley v Elgin or Caley v Buckie, not to different from Junior football among rivals these days. In more recent times the entire village idiot collective would appear at Clach games to punch OAPs from the likes of Banff and Larbert.

Anyway feel free to grab each one of those scrotes around the neck and rub the top of their skulls with your knuckles or give them the bumps which should leave them in a crying heap. Probably won't happen anyway, probably will be too scared of ending up with concrete socks and dumped in the Paisley Canal.

Reminds me of when I was up in Nairn pre-season, standing at the pie stall and overheard a conversation in front of me between a local guy and woman:

Man: Did you get home alright last night then? I walked past you about half past 1 and you were sitting on the grass wi' Jane eating your chippy, watching the pubs come out.

Woman: Aye, it was great. I was just watching the carnage, there must have been about 2 or 3 police motors turned up.

Man: Aye, well you know how wild a night out in Elgin can get!

It was both the funniest and most strangely depressing thing I've heard in a while.

The Caley-Elgin cup tie from last season was the most heavily policed game I've ever been to - police everywhere, police dog handlers patrolling the sidelines, fans segregted at full time.  And they still managed to get a scrap in an underpass!

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Is that tiny, horrid looking shop still by the ground?

Across from what is the away end ? It's away that whole area across from the stadium has got plans drawn up for a Sports complex whether it comes off is another thing however the council are backing it. 

Inverness fans there is secure parking at the stadium £5.00. Across the road from the main stand is a small industrial estate where you can park safely also. In there at the gate is then Buddie Good Food Trailer for some quality nosh, recommend the chicken spicy burger with all the trimmings mmmmmm ! 

6 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Across from what is the away end ? It's away that whole area across from the stadium has got plans drawn up for a Sports complex whether it comes off is another thing however the council are backing it. 

This one.  Never once ventured in as I was too scared.

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 16.46.42.png

Archived