2017 US Open Tennis

die hard doonhamer

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this competition will be the weakest slam for a long time.  However it certainly gives lots of players opportunities to knock on the door of greatness.  Those with lots of potential that just hasn't materialised.  Murray's pull out seen the draw re-jigged a bit, but at least he didn't wait until the first day's schedule was out. Then a lucky loser would have got the second seed status :lol:

As for a tip,well I would rather back Gilles Simon to beat Sam Querrey at 9/4 rather than pick three priced favourites to get an even bet.  Querrey is in better form, but Simon should get enough balls back in play to get Sam to miss.  Simon lead the head to head 4-1 and hasn't lost on hard courts to him.  Simon has been awful this year at times though.

On the men's side the draw looks decent for Alex Zverev.

Much criticism for Murray for the late withdrawal, but most of it unfair.  Todd Woodbridge making an arse of himself on twitter about it.  Can easily be sorted by changing the rules and moving RF to 2nd seed. Players have to look after themselves and not worry about lopsided draws.  Seems a lot of tears and snotters as we cant have a Nadal-Fed final.  Tbh, I wouldn't rule Dmitrov out of winning Nadal's quarter of the draw and Federer may not be 100% fit either.

The women's side will probably be far more entertaining (as Wimbledon was).  Sharapova v Halep in the first round will be decent.  You could argue the case for half a dozen of them to win outright.  Mugu, Pliskova, Halep, Svitolina, Konta, Kerber...    Shame Azarenka is missing out

I did see that Tursunov is 3/1 to beat Norrie.

Muguruza is hitting the ball superbly currently, and her movement is excellent.  I would be surprised if she doesn't win the event, but she is known to have very odd results on hard courts.

As for Murray he did the right thing.  He thought he was fit enough to play, he trained on Arthur Ashe for a week, so by all accounts he was ready to play.  He even played a match against Pouille and beat him.  I would imagine we might hear in the next week that he is writing off the rest of the season and possible surgery to correct the issue.

Defending champion Kerber is out.  No surprise to see Konta go out early, she is still just a top 50 player that's over reached in my opinion.  She needed quite a lot of freak results occurring to get to number one (including her winning it).  Hopefully Muguruza can win this title as well.

The men's draw looks pretty open, I am hoping Zverev can make the final.  I will be over for the mens semi finals so Zverev Vs Cilic and Federer Vs Nadal would be great.

Based on the brief highlights I saw, Federer didn't look too great on the surface. He can't just glide around the hard court like he still does at Wimbledon and his age seems to be a bit more of a factor here. Tiafoe looks like a promising player but Fed should never be losing a set 6-1 to him.

As for the other favourites, I've still got big reservations about Nadal on anything other than clay, Cilic is an injury worry and I maintain that it's too soon for Zverev to win 7 bo5 matches in a fortnight.

In other words, nobody is winning this thing.

Archived