Trapdoorwatch 2017-18

3 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

*sounds the HJ alarm*

Was there not a rule brought in years ago that if the same side finished bottom of the old Third Division for three consecutive seasons then they'd have a vote on whether to kick the club out?

Not saying they should do that with Cowden of course...they should kick them out this summer.

The way I remember it. It was that after 2 consecutive seasons you'd lose voting rights/prize money with a further 2 years where you'd be under review. It was just enough to try and scare you off finishing bottom back to back years but nothing as definitive as you finish bottom x number of times & you're out.

34 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

*sounds the HJ alarm*

Was there not a rule brought in years ago that if the same side finished bottom of the old Third Division for three consecutive seasons then they'd have a vote on whether to kick the club out?

Having checked it was if you finished 10th for 2yrs running you had to face a vote, and if you lost the vote you dropped to Associate Member status, and then had 2yrs to be restored (although what you had to do to get restored was undefined - permissible even if finished 10th for 2yrs more :lol:!).

I've a vague recollection 'Shire once finished bottom 2yrs running but won vote #1. Might be mistaken. Clearly it was a ludicrous mechanism.

Edited by HibeeJibee

35 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Having checked it was if you finished 10th for 2yrs running you had to face a vote, and if you lost the vote you dropped to Associate Member status, and then had 2yrs to be restored (although what you had to do to get restored was undefined - permissible even if finished 10th for 2yrs more :lol:!).

I've a vague recollection 'Shire once finished bottom 2yrs running but won vote #1. Might be mistaken. Clearly it was a ludicrous mechanism.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/east_stirlingshire/6622035.stm

With  the LL talking of having a 2 up 2 down system for promotion and relegation next season at the bottom of its league  plus all the big East Juniors moving across to the E.O.S league surely its time the SPFL looked at promotion and relegation from League 2/HL-LL??

Straight relegation for the bottom team in league 2 must surely now be on the cards,with the winner of the HL/LL play-off going straight up?

I.M.O i would also hav a play-off for the 2nd bottom side and the loser of the LL/HL play-off. 

Edited by Whitburn Vale

With  the LL talking of having a 2 up 2 down system for promotion and relegation next season at the bottom of its league  plus all the big East Juniors moving across to the E.O.S league surely its time the SPFL looked at promotion and relegation from League 2/HL-LL??
Straight relegation for the bottom team in league 2 must surely now be on the cards,with the winner of the HL/LL play-off going straight up?
I.M.O i would also hav a play-off for the 2nd bottom side and the loser of the LL/HL play-off. 

Why must it be on the cards - never even been discussed or suggested by SPFL clubs nor is there any compelling reason for SPFL clubs to make such a concession. Until the pyramid is strengthened and has a few years under its belt in such a guise I can't see it - only once more SPFL clubs drop out will that likely come onto the agenda.

27 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Why must it be on the cards - never even been discussed or suggested by SPFL clubs nor is there any compelling reason for SPFL clubs to make such a concession. Until the pyramid is strengthened and has a few years under its belt in such a guise I can't see it - only once more SPFL clubs drop out will that likely come onto the agenda.

The pyramid has been on the go for 5yrs now,how many more years must it take?

Some of the clubs now joining senior football are easily comparable with sides already in league 2.

19 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Play'offs that are stacked in the league 2 clubs favour?

The HL/LL clubs hav to play 4 games to get into League 2 and face the 2nd leg of the tie against club 42 away from home?

Even though it is hardly in my interests to do so, I fully agree that this is far from fair on the HL/LL teams. At the very least, the second leg should be played at the challenger's home ground.

A different option would be to have a play-out league between club 42 and the two lower champions; whether this be a double round setup (the three teams play eachother twice, at home and away) or a single match format (the teams meet one another once, perhaps at a neutral venue like Hampden). This would put all three teams on equal footing, and in the case of the double round, allow them ample opportunity to show their worth across more than two nervy games.

The only downside to this would be the possibility of a team who loses their first two or even three matches throwing the towel and playing the final match(es) at less than a 100%. To avoid this, you would have to add incentives (win bonus for each game, Scottish Cup byes, Ladbrokes sponsorship like East Stirlingshire got when dropping out of the league, etc.). Taking this into account, I'm not pretending this to be the be-all end-all solution to how League 2's trapdoor must be operated, but it might inspire someone to come up with a better idea.

Edited by DutchBorderer

2 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

That should have been the norm from the start but SFA has given the bottom in League 2 another chance to survive. Any true pyramid system like that down in England this is the case where the bottom 2 in League 2 being automatically relegated and the Champions of the National League getting promoted and the winners of the playoffs also coming up. 

The HL/LL clubs hav to play 4 games to get into League 2 and face the 2nd leg of the tie against club 42 away from home?
Highland league teams only play 34 games to qualify for the playoffs.
Lowland league teams only play 30.
League two team plays 36.

Total number of matches to win league two status after playoffs is least for Lowland league team.

7 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Highland league teams only play 34 games to qualify for the playoffs.
Lowland league teams only play 30.
League two team plays 36.

Total number of matches to win league two status after playoffs is least for Lowland league team.

Don't see what that has got to do with anything. Club 42 can fail to score a point all season and fluke a play off and stay up.

Don't see what that has got to do with anything. Club 42 can fail to score a point all season and fluke a play off and stay up.

Or pay off the ref to ignore blatant infringements using money scraped together under the pretence of keeping the club afloat.

In a ten team league you would have 1st promoted, promotion playoff spots for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 10th relegated and 9th in a relegation playoff. Meaning only 4 teams (40% of your league) finishing in mid table. That’s not enough.

Knock leagues one and two together making a bigger league (only playing home and away once) and this idea might work.

1 hour ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Agree there should be automatic relegation for bottom club. Don’t think League is big enough for two down. My observation was merely on the play off results, stacked or otherwise. 

The Championship and League 1 seem to cope.

Edited by welshbairn

8 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Well really, once a HL/LL team has won their semi-final, they're on equal footing with club 42 on that one. 50/50 chance, in principle. You could say home advantage in the second leg is significant enough to edge it in club 42's favour but it didn't help Partick Thistle, Dumbarton or Peterhead much in the other play-off finals this season.

I think we have to be realistic and say that in four attempts, only managing to defeat a consitently horrendous Shire side and Edinburgh's subsequent struggles in L2 doesn't support the argument that there's a host of HL/LL clubs who'd significantly improve L2 at the moment.

I'm actually in favour of automatic relegation for club 42 and the HH/LL play-off winner replacing them, despite that. A 25% chance of promotion once you've already won your league seems overly tough.

Edited by Gordon EF

52 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

In a ten team league you would have 1st promoted, promotion playoff spots for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 10th relegated and 9th in a relegation playoff. Meaning only 4 teams (40% of your league) finishing in mid table. That’s not enough.

Knock leagues one and two together making a bigger league (only playing home and away once) and this idea might work.

Been saying that for years