gretnascotty

The Gretna 2008 Thread

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Gretna v Vale of Leithen was abandoned twice in the same season for floodlight failure - but that must have been at the start of the decade and I don't recall it happening since. They had a Saturday league game... from hazy memory it may well have been against Gala oddly enough... moved to Annan because of storm damage to a pylon making it unsafe to play. Possibly those 2 incidents are being confused.

They received SFP funding in 2017 to upgrade the floodlighting:

https://thescottishfootballpartnership.com/facilities-award-for-gretna-f-c-2008/

As regards licensing - at Entry level only "best practice" has to be observed as opposed to a minimum brightness standard. Clearly a club whose lights always broke down would be in hot water. Breaking down once is hardly that, though.

End stand is a 'semi-permanent' kit stand that Gretna FC put in for their season in SFL1. Administrator tried to sell it... to Alloa / East Fife, IIRC... but deal fell through when it was revealed it didn't include the roof. Heard at first the far half and now the whole stand has been closed for safety reasons to avoid expensive maintenance on the steps etc. I don't suppose it was ever intended to last 12+ years. As you can see in this image it's actually the sort of collapsible seating deck you get at golf tournaments etc. placed within a larger roof:

p118082517-4.jpg

Terrace cover on the far side has been gone for many years - may even have been dismantled by Gretna FC before or while they were groundsharing at Motherwell. Certainly it had been removed by the time I saw Berwick play there in the City Cup in spring 2013 so 6.5yrs ago. It was only a few steps deep - and I read that fans would bash the corrugated iron roof, and rust would come sprinkling down.

There was also a deeper terrace behind the other goal which had a roof in the centre supported by 2 rows of slender metal rods. Going by photos online it was also dismantled during late Gretna FC period.

As far as i am aware, the stand in the picture is available to use.  There was sufficent maintenance done on it during the summer.  I don't understand why personally as we're not going to get attendances of any size for us to get any use out of it but there were supporters in it on Saturday against Bonnyrigg and i recall seeing other supporters in it another time.

20 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

Was the terracing at the now open end not replaced by a temporary stand during gretna’s glory days in the sfl?

Yes your correct, the open part at the side (where i stand to watch games now) did have a temporary stand there when the old club were in the SFL.  It was taken out either when the club gained promotion to the Spl or when the administrators came in.

2 hours ago, gretnascotty said:

As far as i am aware, the stand in the picture is available to use.  There was sufficent maintenance done on it during the summer.  I don't understand why personally as we're not going to get attendances of any size for us to get any use out of it but there were supporters in it on Saturday against Bonnyrigg and i recall seeing other supporters in it another time.

Fair enough - hadn't realised it had been repaired over the closed season.

Suppose the amount of covered space would be quite limited without it: couple hundred seats?

2 hours ago, pipedreamer said:

Was the terracing at the now open end not replaced by a temporary stand during gretna’s glory days in the sfl?

Don't remember that.

There was a temporary covered terrace between the current seated stands:

2504443241_79e706502a_b.jpg

These were the 2 demolished terraces:

Gretna4.JPG

143393859_28796f769c_b.jpg

On 07/10/2019 at 17:27, thisisneeds said:

A points better than nothing, we can build on this. VALE is a massive 6 pointer and we need to get the win. 

It is in ways though of course Vale will be looking at it the same way.

And .....

We are no longer bottom. 

Looks like things are coming together. 

Overall not a great great performance by Gretna but job done.

And .....
We are no longer bottom. 
There will be another 3 points for Gretna in the return game.

You could tell Gretna were coming onto a result. They should've beaten Caledonian Braves early on in season... held Cumbernauld and Edinburgh Uni to draws... only lost to Spartans and Bonnyrigg by the odd goal... beat Sauchie, Hill of Beath and Newtongrange in cup-ties... and apparently performed well against EK last week.

2 hours ago, shugster said:
17 hours ago, sureiknow said:
And .....
We are no longer bottom. 

There will be another 3 points for Gretna in the return game.

You can't take anything for granted in our League.  Does throw up some strange results at times.

We will need more than just beating Vale home and away to stay up.

And I believe we will push on from here.

The last few performances have been encouraging and shown improvement. Take away the two big defeats and the first game against strollers and the disappoint result against dalbeattie, we have been in every game in the league and with a bit of luck could of got a few more good results. The win on Saturday was crucial and provides a stable base now to push on and kick start our season. We still have two games in hand against two sides we could get some points against. We have to make Raydale a fortress against the bottom half teams. What I liked was, saturday wasn't a good performance but we still got the win. 

5 hours ago, gogsy said:

Late comeback from 3-1  down sees Gretna pick up another point.:)

There today. 

Great game. Best £6 I have ever spent.

Could have been 5-5.  You name it any score!

Big point to us, Gretna. 

Deserved the point, maybe a win and maybe should have lost.

One of those games. 

6 minutes ago, ewan_fife said:

How many player’s do Gretna currently have signed up? Official website shows they have over 50, surely not?

They have 22 currently. 

7 hours ago, ewan_fife said:

How many player’s do Gretna currently have signed up? Official website shows they have over 50, surely not?

image.png.52a68838ddab76c5428ad863c01e5f86.png

That is the squad list but not all players are contracted.

7 hours ago, RampantFM said:

image.png.52a68838ddab76c5428ad863c01e5f86.png

Is there an echo?