The Gretna 2008 Thread

gretnascotty

As noted such goals are banned.

There's an interesting blast from the past here... some years ago exactly this happened in a Leith Athletic v (I think) Spartans EOS game at Meadowbank 3G, and my recollection is it got the visitors a draw? It was that incident which got such goals banned, as there were Youtube highlights and it was clear it came back off wheel not post.

If my recollection is correct - it's incredible lightening would strike same club twice.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Seeing as Spartans are in sporting mood can they let Edinburgh City off a week's rent because we didn't get awarded the goal when Mark Brown scooped the ball out when it was three feet over the line at City Park c.2000.

Grrr!

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

There's an interesting blast from the past here... some years ago exactly this happened in a Leith Athletic v (I think) Spartans EOS game at Meadowbank 3G, and my recollection is it got the visitors a draw? It was that incident which got such goals banned, as there were Youtube highlights and it was clear it came back off wheel not post.

If my recollection is correct - it's incredible lightening would strike same club twice.

How has no one picked up on the goals previously played a few games now on the pitch.

The refs should have spotted it and flagged it up.

Suppose they will have to change them now with all the publicity.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Seeing as Spartans are in sporting mood can they let Edinburgh City off a week's rent because we didn't get awarded the goal when Mark Brown scooped the ball out when it was three feet over the line at City Park c.2000.

Grrr!

Glad to see you don’t hold a grudge after 21 years😀

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Grrr!

Might have been Kevin Brown. Mark Brown is twitter guy!

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Lightning has struck three times! also happened to the EOS team in a game v LTHV. Spartans 'scored' when ball hit wheel inside net. Goal not awarded. LTHV go up pitch and score winner.

2 hours ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

What is the consensus of the 'keeper Connelly? Looked very good against Berwick in the cup, made a few decent saves against EK before a couple of howlers. Been on the bench for Motherwell at a really young age.

Is he a player that could make it at a higher level?

He played well in the two games against Bo'ness

On 04/10/2021 at 10:36, GroundHoppingBear said:

What is the consensus of the 'keeper Connelly? Looked very good against Berwick in the cup, made a few decent saves against EK before a couple of howlers. Been on the bench for Motherwell at a really young age.

Definitely,  watched that game.

Bound to do well if he continues his career. 

Heard good reports of him even though I've not seen him in person. 

Couple of Friends praised him before that game.

9 hours ago, Amandajoan said:

Definitely,  watched that game.

Bound to do well if he continues his career. 

Heard good reports of him even though I've not seen him in person. 

Couple of Friends praised him before that game.

It's really hard to judge him I think due to the side he's playing in allowing so many attempts at goal, his young age and the fact he's not fully developed physically. Although he absolutely has some qualities. I think once he gains more experience he will become more commanding, think that's the one thing that he's not added to his game yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/10/2021 at 10:36, GroundHoppingBear said:

On 04/10/2021 at 13:34, John S said:

He played well in the two games against Bo'ness

On 05/10/2021 at 22:10, Amandajoan said:

Definitely,  watched that game. Bound to do well if he continues his career. 

Heard good reports of him even though I've not seen him in person.  Couple of Friends praised him before that game.

On 06/10/2021 at 07:31, GroundHoppingBear said:

It's really hard to judge him I think due to the side he's playing in allowing so many attempts at goal, his young age and the fact he's not fully developed physically. Although he absolutely has some qualities. I think once he gains more experience he will become more commanding, think that's the one thing that he's not added to his game yet.

Seriously injured v Darvel today, hospitalised, tie abandoned.

15 minutes ago, Ih8rangers said:

game was abandoned due to the goalkeeper of Gretna Mathew connelly sustaining a facial injury,  I believe he is on loan from motherwell and has a a bright future ahead of him , reading on there Twitter site he is awaiting surgery, I would like to wish this young man all the very best to a speedy recovery 🙏

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

4 wins on the spin for Gretna now, unheard of in recent years! 

I missed our cup win a fortnight ago, but watched us at Dalbeattie, Gala during the week & Tranent yesterday, so refreshing to see virtually the same 11 on the park week in week out, playing some good football & yesterday we were tactically spot on, gameplan was executed perfectly.

There are still question marks over who is financing some of the players etc but its just good to be back to winning & performing well again.

Long may it continue!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...