The Gretna 2008 Thread

gretnascotty

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It was a Rangers B 'home' game. There were so many goal updates on their twitter feed, i'm not sure if they also tried bragging about another sell out.

So it was, did the green pound solve all Vale of Leithen's problems?

14 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Poor Gretna. 9-1 to one of the B teams is tough to take. One of my favourite ever away days in 30 odd years travelling to watch the  Dees was your season in the Championship when we went down there as supposed lambs to the slaughter and were 4-0 up after 35 minutes. It was the only time I've ever been to your bonny wee village. Do you still play in the same stadium and is the away end still a hundred yard long bus shelter?

If I'm correct Gretna 2008 are deemed to be a completely different Club to the Gretna that completely  folded after they're "millionaire"  benefactor Brookes Mileson died leaving creditors out of pocket.  Gretna 2008 do play at Raydale Park however and have the same Club colours as the defunct Gretna but as they're name suggests were formed in 2008 and have never competed in the four top divisions. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

If I'm correct Gretna 2008 are deemed to be a completely different Club to the Gretna that completely  folded after they're "millionaire"  benefactor Brookes Mileson died leaving creditors out of pocket.  Gretna 2008 do play at Raydale Park however and have the same Club colours as the defunct Gretna but as they're name suggests were formed in 2008 and have never competed in the four top divisions. 

Aye that’s right they made it clear from the start it was a new club and no connection with the original club hence the 2008.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Aye that’s right they made it clear from the start it was a new club and no connection with the original club hence the 2008.

And also cut ties wi the car park social club which is/was handy for the tv match before kick off as well. 

They now or did have have their own "wee bar"  inside the ground which is/was cheap and friendly enough.

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

And also cut ties wi the car park social club which is/was handy for the tv match before kick off as well. 

They now or did have have their own "wee bar"  inside the ground which is/was cheap and friendly enough.

The wee bar was always there I was in a few times when we played the originals.

Used to have loads of great old pics from the non league days.

Big regret never seeing them pre SFL before the circus came to town.

On 15/08/2021 at 12:21, Fae_the_'briggs said:

If I'm correct Rangers 2012 are deemed to be a completely different Club to the Rangers that completely  folded after they're "millionaire"  benefactor David Murray up sticks leaving creditors out of pocket.  Rangers 2012 do play at Ibrox Park however and have the same Club colours as the defunct Rangers but despite what the name suggests were formed in 2012 and have only recently returned to the top division. 

FTFY

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

14 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Went down there one day when they played Whitley Bay. Just checked and it was in 2000. Think they were in the Northern Premier League back then.

Next time was 2003 just when it was all kicking off. ICT beat them 5-0 on the way to winning the Challenge Cup and promotion to the SPL. ICT’s record is better than most, P6, W6.

Edited by The Mantis

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Next time was 2003 just when it was all kicking off. ICT beat them 5-0 on the way to winning the Challenge Cup and promotion to the SPL. ICT’s record is better than most, P6, W6.

I remember that. Arranged a hillwalking trip to the Lakes around it so that on the Saturday I could train up to Gretna and watch the ICT game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2021 at 19:00, cowdenbeath said:

Now the bar just contains team pics since 2008, naturally enough.

Gretna were a really tough wee side in the 90s whose annual participation in the English FA Cup required a letter of permission from the SFA. They were a mixture of Unibond league Geordies and Carlisle players put out to pasture from memory. A unique little club utterly ruined by the Mileson fantasy (in retrospect the move to the SPFL was ill advised.)

I can remember them *almost* embarrassing Bolton at the old Burnden Park..lost 2-3. There's also these highlights of a home draw with Rochdale in 91/92 (Dale won the replay 3-1 at Spotland).

• 4 weeks later...

Might be an idea to get rid of the portable goals (which aren't allowed according to the licensing manual) so that you don't have balls rebounding off the wheels and then goals being scored. Very sporting of Spartans to let Gretna walk one in after realising what went on.

8 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Might be an idea to get rid of the portable goals (which aren't allowed according to the licensing manual) so that you don't have balls rebounding off the wheels and then goals being scored. Very sporting of Spartans to let Gretna walk one in after realising what went on.

Aye,  Don't know how they've got away with having them, they're not allowed largely to prevent what happened.