The Gretna 2008 Thread

gretnascotty

Genuinely hope Gretna survive and thrive.  Would hate to see a Lowland League of teams contratated solely from the central belt and only 1 of 2 borders teams.

If the West Junior teams fail to get their act together and as a result the current Lowland pyramid remains ( I don't expect that this will happen and truely hope that the West blockage will be cleared asap) then it is so important that the South of Scotland has teams at as high a tier as possible to give the local talent a chance etc be it Gretna, Dalbeattie or whoever. If I was a South team at the moment this is the time to go all out to be the main non-league in the South of the country. The winner of that race could  be the front runner for years to come.

3 hours ago, gogsy said:

So according to everyones favourite Berwick Rangers facebook page five players left at the same time as the manager leaving the team with eleven signed players and three trialists on Saturday.

Certainly latter is correct.

Starting XI included 1 triallist outfielder.

Bench = 1 trialist 'keeper, 1 triallist + 1 signed outfielders.

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Certainly latter is correct.

Starting XI included 1 triallist outfielder.

Bench = 1 trialist 'keeper, 1 triallist + 1 signed outfielders.

I know a few have left that Chris brought to the club. Transition period for us and another rebuild. Let's just hope it's worth it come end of the season. Sad to see some of the players leave though especially Ryan Rogers. Certainly a talent to watch out for. 

On 09/12/2019 at 15:37, thisisneeds said:

I know a few have left that Chris brought to the club. Transition period for us and another rebuild. Let's just hope it's worth it come end of the season. Sad to see some of the players leave though especially Ryan Rogers. Certainly a talent to watch out for. 

This was always going to happen as soon as the previous management team had left.  All the players travelling from Manchester, Birmingham etc were never going to stay at the club after Chris's departure.  We had some players away last weekend that are still at the club.  Dan Wadge i believe is going travelling to OZ in the new year and that was going to happen with or without Chris at the helm.  As you say transitional period and i would have faith in Rowan to start bringing players in over the next few games and into the new year.

Regardless of how you felt about the previous management team you have to move on,  Jon Foley sticking the boot in on social media does not surprise me one bit after what i heard about him at the forum.  

Good Riddance!

9 minutes ago, gretnascotty said:

This was always going to happen as soon as the previous management team had left.  All the players travelling from Manchester, Birmingham etc were never going to stay at the club after Chris's departure.  We had some players away last weekend that are still at the club.  Dan Wadge i believe is going travelling to OZ in the new year and that was going to happen with or without Chris at the helm.  As you say transitional period and i would have faith in Rowan to start bringing players in over the next few games and into the new year.

Regardless of how you felt about the previous management team you have to move on,  Jon Foley sticking the boot in on social media does not surprise me one bit after what i heard about him at the forum.  

Good Riddance!

I am behind the team and Rowan and just hope we can get a squad together that can compete. Got to say its a massive rebuild again at a crucial point in the season. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 12:45, thisisneeds said:

I am behind the team and Rowan and just hope we can get a squad together that can compete. Got to say its a massive rebuild again at a crucial point in the season. 

must be struggling for a squad tomorrow posting on f/b today that there is a pitch inspection at 9 am Saturday morning.

5 minutes ago, satchmo said:

must be struggling for a squad tomorrow posting on f/b today that there is a pitch inspection at 9 am Saturday morning.

There's been heavy rain at gretna past few days so that's probably why. I know we have a few trialists training with us that will take part tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing all these “Team of the Decade” posts on twitter got me thinking who would make our team.........For someone that can remember our original 08 squad there are plenty i can choose from but what does everyone else think? 

Could do with a few of the strikers of the past at the moment!

I’ll post my team at some point this week 😂

Thoughts from yesterday’s game;

Our best performance of the season (certainly from the games i have been to) Every player that played deserves praise for their performance.  Best team on the pitch by a mile, one error at the back cost us another deserved 3 points.  Dominated for long periods, it was nice to see us finally get the ball down and pass it, we were playing the ball down the wings & there were some really good interchanges between the full backs and wingers.  Deano broke the ball up superbly in the middle all game and Lussaint really ran them ragged through the middle, he has a really good first touch & has good feet for a big guy.  Renyard seemed to be playing all along the forward line, he caused their defence problems all day and was really unlucky not to score.  Smales had an off day in front of goal but he linked well with Renyard at times, he missed two great chances in both half’s and we really should have been out of site by the time they equalised.  Defence all played their part too, Gilly brings plenty of experience, Jack Hunter was immense & young Jack Patrick did really well at RB, Jake Smith had a really good game on the left as well.  Thought everyone did their bit and it’s something we can really build on in the coming weeks!

Quick mention for Dan Wadge, played his last game for us yesterday and is on his way travelling to Australia this week, good luck mate and thanks for your efforts over the past few years, you’ll be missed!

Also can anyone (preferably at the club) shed any light on Dan Carmichael? Included by name last week (not down as a trialist) but knowhere to be seen this week and no mention from the club if he’s signed or not! Be a great addition & a welcome return!

Edited by gretnascotty

6 minutes ago, gretnascotty said:

Thoughts from yesterday’s game;

Our best performance of the season (certainly from the games i have been to) Every player that played deserves praise for their performance.  Best team on the pitch by a mile, one error at the back cost us another deserved 3 points.  Dominated for long periods, it was nice to see us finally get the ball down and pass it, we were playing the ball down the wings & there were some really good interchanges between the full backs and wingers.  Deano broke the ball up superbly in the middle all game and Lussaint really ran them ragged through the middle, he has a really good first touch & has good feet for a big guy.  Renyard seemed to be playing all along the forward line, he caused their defence problems all day and was really unlucky not to score.  Smales had an off day in front of goal but he linked well with Renyard at times, he missed two great chances in both half’s and we really should have been out of site by the time they equalised.  Defence all played their part too, Gilly brings plenty of experience, Jack Hunter was immense & young Jack Patrick did really well at RB, Jake Smith had a really good game on the left as well.  Thought everyone did their bit and it’s something we can really build on in the coming weeks!

Quick mention for Dan Wadge, played his last game for us yesterday and is on his way travelling to Australia this week, good luck mate and thanks for your efforts over the past few years, you’ll be missed!

Also can anyone (preferably at the club) shed any light on Dan Carmichael? Included by name last week (not down as a trialist) but knowhere to be seen this week and no mention from the club if he’s signed or not! Be a great addition & a welcome return!

Great assessment of the game, agree with every point made. Deserved the three points. Good luck to Dan on the travelling will miss him, as he is always consistent performer. Regarding Dan Charmichael, he's not signing, his decision I think. 

3 hours ago, thisisneeds said:

Great assessment of the game, agree with every point made. Deserved the three points. Good luck to Dan on the travelling will miss him, as he is always consistent performer. Regarding Dan Charmichael, he's not signing, his decision I think. 

Who told you about Carmichael? Thought it was strange how they had his name on the teamsheet last week, your supposed to put trialist unless the player has signed

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/01/2020 at 19:36, gretnascotty said:

Seeing all these “Team of the Decade” posts on twitter got me thinking who would make our team.........For someone that can remember our original 08 squad there are plenty i can choose from but what does everyone else think? 

Could do with a few of the strikers of the past at the moment!

I’ll post my team at some point this week 😂

how about this lot for starters Scotty?

gala 6 002 - Copy[1].JPG

• 4 weeks later...