The Gretna 2008 Thread

gretnascotty

Just now, gogsy said:

The ego has landed. His wiki page is a bit bare, what has he been doing recently?

From what I can see his only management post since the 'gardening leave' was assistant at Glenafton for 7 months in 2010? He's coached youths, academies, etc. These articles marked 5yr & 10yr 'anniversaries (2013 & 2018):

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-gretna-boss-rowan-alexander-1845629

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rowan-alexander-opens-up-gretna-13729452

Fantastic stuff this: am I not correct in saying Berwick was the only club Gretna FC under Alexander didn't play on their ascent from SFL3 to SPL?

Lo and behold who visit us on Saturday...

And Arbroath who were the other relegated club.

11 hours ago, thisisneeds said:

Welcome Rowan back to Gretna, I'm sure he's the man to kick-start our season and get us up the table. He came across well, straight to the point. Knows what gretna needs. Looking forward to the rest of the season now. 

There will be a few "coming out the woodwork" now, that haven't been to Raydale for the last few years....can he bring back the glory days?

gretna champions day 076 rowan and brooks.jpg

35 minutes ago, satchmo said:

There will be a few "coming out the woodwork" now, that haven't been to Raydale for the last few years....can he bring back the glory days?

gretna champions day 076 rowan and brooks.jpg

Brother Grimm has just made an excellent point! Lets not get carried away with ourselves, Rowan has never managed the club before.  We all remember the glory years of the previous club but Gretna 2008 are a different club! We worked really hard to shift the "Big time Charlie" tag that followed us into the East of Scotland League and we're certainly not naive to think Rowan is coming into the club to bring league titles and cup wins to the side, that just isn't realistic whatsoever.  We need to consolidate our position in the Lowland League first and foremost and build from there.

Rowan helped build the old club from the ground up previously but glory years were down to money and that's something at this level we're never likely to have.  

4 hours ago, Brother Grimm said:
12 hours ago, thisisneeds said:
Welcome Rowan back to Gretna, I'm sure he's the man to kick-start our season and get us up the table. He came across well, straight to the point. Knows what gretna needs. Looking forward to the rest of the season now. 

Welcome back? When was he manager before?

Exactly!

He is going "back to Gretna" or "back to Raydale Park".

He is not going "back to Gretna FC", although a number of national media outlets do not appear to be drawing the distinction.

Since the demise of Rangers there seems to have been a general free-for-all over these sorts of affairs... similarly with Airdrie United (who were Clydebank and had been officially recognised as such by SFL in terms of formation plus honours) recently asserting the history of Airdrieonians. I've always felt it was to the credit of Gretna's fans they were so clear on Gretna 2008 being a totally new club, even though it's the same supporters... Since its establishment they've got "back" into Raydale, won their way up EOSL, entered LL and got "back" into the Scottish Cup.

With respect to Gretna 2008 they did win 4 cups as well as old EOS First Division in late 2000s/early 2010s. I'm sure their fans could be delighted if they stayed in LL and relived even those "glory days".

41 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Maybe time to go back to plain old Gretna FC. Always thought the 2008 moniker was a bit two bob. Point has been made.

The boards outside the ground just say Gretna FC with a small badge with 2008 on it. The locals refer to the team  as Gretna. 

40 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

Do Gretna 2008 still have the same sort of numbers that follow them as what Gretna did previously?

Average attendance was 88 last season, which I think is in line with their Northern League crowds in the 1980s but lower than the Northern Premier spell in 1990s which was more like 150 to 200. (There used to be crowd archives on those league websites so someone can maybe check).

In my experience 100-120 or so has been their level recently but was 150-200 in early EOSL years.

In their first 2 seasons in SFL3 it shot upto 403 and 465 then after Mileson's cash arrived 895 (SFL3)... 1,304 (SFL2)... 1,602 (SFL1)... 2,637 (SPL at Motherwell).

So basically a huge third-of-a-century 'bell curve'.

EDIT: To confirm what I was saying: in 2013-14 (first season in LL) they published crowds on their website. League average was 143.

First games "back" at Raydale late in 2008-09:

433 v Gala
235 v ?
263 v ?

"Playing home games for most of 2008-09 at Everholm in Annan their first attracted 131 people whilst away games varied in the main between 50 and 130".

Edited by HibeeJibee

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Average attendance was 88 last season, which I think is in line with their Northern League crowds in the 1980s but lower than the Northern Premier spell in 1990s which was more like 150 to 200. (There used to be crowd archives on those league websites so someone can maybe check).

In my experience 100 or so has been their level recently but was 150-200 in early EOSL years.

In their first 2 seasons in SFL3 it shot upto 403 and 465 then after Mileson's cash arrived 895 (SFL3)... 1,304 (SFL2)... 1,602 (SFL1)... 2,637 (SPL at Motherwell).

So basically a huge third-of-a-century 'bell curve'.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/archive/engnl/aveengnl02.htm

On the above they only seem to have some of the English Non-League beyond the Conference from 2001-02. So in Gretna's final season in English Football they had an average attendance of 97 and a highest attendance of 152. So it was quite a jump to the SFL figures.