The Gretna 2008 Thread

gretnascotty

Yes Scott.

That win gave everyone a big boost not just because of the result but the way we played.

We didn't look like 11 random players but as a Team.

Indeed we rode our luck a bit, could have easily been 3-2 to Beath at HT. 

Probably deserved the win on that goal alone.

Yes not a great 2nd round draw ....

I've only been a fan of Gretna, since halfway through last season. I feel out of love with football for a good number of years till last year when I decided I'd follow a non league club, that I could drive to watch games, was affordable and was community driven. This seasons has been very tough, the fixtures haven't been kind to us, alot of new players, alot of injuries or unavailability. It's been hard. But after reading about the last game, it was good to see people praising the players and the performance. I watched us draw with colts, and although we rode our luck, we battles hard for that point. We have to do that every game. Against Dalbeatie, we got back in the game and then took the foot of the pedal and let them come on at us again and they got 2 more goals. It looks like Chris has found a settled team and formation, that we can build on and kick start our season. Next few fixtures are massive and there should be winnable games in this run. Let's hope we can start to get some results and performances together and get some much needed points on the board. 

Edited by thisisneeds

He's a played a couple, and been on the bench a couple. I think he wants to be more of a manager though and just step in when necessary. I read that he was good last game. Hopefully the game is on tomorrow and we can out in another good performance and get a result against a good side. 

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Gretna v Gala cancelled ahead of kickoff due to floodlight failure.

Sore one for Gala especially.

EF0KjFUWkAIrZrN.jpg:large

EF0HIEIX0AEcTqJ.jpg:large

Yes. Though they don't have to pay the £285 for the fees and travelling cost of the Match Officials. ...

Plus maybe Gala's  costs.

Edited by sureiknow

17 minutes ago, The Informer said:

Could happen to any club. 

Not if maintained properly.  I've never heard of the floodlights failing at Celtic Park or Ibrox.   When you look around some grounds you can see where they lack maintenance and upkeep.  Understandably given the lack of money around, but my question was an honest inquiry.  The SFA insist in 'quality' and standards - how do they measure the efficiency of the things they insist on?

Vale and Whitehill could be emptied because they don't have lights - others have lights but they can't be depended on.

I thought Raydale Park was looking tired when I was there on Saturday. Pigeons roosting in the stand behind the goals are making a terrible mess.  On the side where the dug outs are I take it was a covered terrace, the roofing is no longer in situ and the framework remains and for me looks awful.

In general place needs a spruce up

16 minutes ago, bravehearts dad said:

I thought Raydale Park was looking tired when I was there on Saturday. Pigeons roosting in the stand behind the goals are making a terrible mess.  On the side where the dug outs are I take it was a covered terrace, the roofing is no longer in situ and the framework remains and for me looks awful.

In general place needs a spruce up

Pigeon shite is quite common around EoS/LL grounds that have seats. 

Dont knock it till you've tried it 😉

7 hours ago, MDM said:

Not the first time the lights at Gretna have failed.  When it comes to licensing, is there any requirement to prove the lights are up to the demands?

Floodlights were failing at Burton Albion v Bournemouth last week in the cup! The lights Gretna currently have installed have never failed before last night, the club have had use of them this season already and training takes place twice a week, i know they have been used as i live not far away and can see them from my upstairs window.  What happened last night i could not say but i'd expect the fault to be looked at and taken care of.

Edited by gretnascotty

Gretna v Vale of Leithen was abandoned twice in the same season for floodlight failure - but that must have been at the start of the decade and I don't recall it happening since. They had a Saturday league game... from hazy memory it may well have been against Gala oddly enough... moved to Annan because of storm damage to a pylon making it unsafe to play. Possibly those 2 incidents are being confused.

They received SFP funding in 2017 to upgrade the floodlighting:

https://thescottishfootballpartnership.com/facilities-award-for-gretna-f-c-2008/

As regards licensing - at Entry level only "best practice" has to be observed as opposed to a minimum brightness standard. Clearly a club whose lights always broke down would be in hot water. Breaking down once is hardly that, though.

4 hours ago, bravehearts dad said:

End stand is a 'semi-permanent' kit stand that Gretna FC put in for their season in SFL1. Administrator tried to sell it... to Alloa / East Fife, IIRC... but deal fell through when it was revealed it didn't include the roof. Heard at first the far half and now the whole stand has been closed for safety reasons to avoid expensive maintenance on the steps etc. I don't suppose it was ever intended to last 12+ years. As you can see in this image it's actually the sort of collapsible seating deck you get at golf tournaments etc. placed within a larger roof:

p118082517-4.jpg

Terrace cover on the far side has been gone for many years - may even have been dismantled by Gretna FC before or while they were groundsharing at Motherwell. Certainly it had been removed by the time I saw Berwick play there in the City Cup in spring 2013 so 6.5yrs ago. It was only a few steps deep - and I read that fans would bash the corrugated iron roof, and rust would come sprinkling down.

There was also a deeper terrace behind the other goal which had a roof in the centre supported by 2 rows of slender metal rods. Going by photos online it was also dismantled during late Gretna FC period.

Edited by HibeeJibee

6 hours ago, MDM said:

Not if maintained properly.  I've never heard of the floodlights failing at Celtic Park or Ibrox.   When you look around some grounds you can see where they lack maintenance and upkeep.  Understandably given the lack of money around, but my question was an honest inquiry.  The SFA insist in 'quality' and standards - how do they measure the efficiency of the things they insist on?

Vale and Whitehill could be emptied because they don't have lights - others have lights but they can't be depended on.

It could happen though, happened at Pittodrie 3 years ago, happened at Rugby Park not so long ago, are they not maintained properly?

7 hours ago, MDM said:

Not the first time the lights at Gretna have failed.  When it comes to licensing, is there any requirement to prove the lights are up to the demands?

I was there last night and was told the fault originated from outside caused our Fuse Box to burn.

May or may not be right.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Gretna v Vale of Leithen was abandoned twice in the same season for floodlight failure - but that must have been at the start of the decade and I don't recall it happening since. They had a Saturday league game... from hazy memory it may well have been against Gala oddly enough... moved to Annan because of storm damage to a pylon making it unsafe to play. Possibly those 2 incidents are being confused.

https://thescottishfootballpartnership.com/facilities-award-for-gretna-f-c-2008/

As regards licensing - at Entry level only "best practice" has to be observed as opposed to a minimum brightness standard. Clearly a club whose lights always broke down would be in hot water. Breaking down once is hardly that, though.

End stand is a 'semi-permanent' kit stand that Gretna FC put in for their season in SFL1. Administrator tried to sell it... to Alloa / East Fife, IIRC... but deal fell through when it was revealed it didn't include the roof. Heard at first the far half and now the whole stand has been closed for safety reasons to avoid expensive maintenance on the steps etc. I don't suppose it was ever intended to last 12+ years. As you can see in this image it's actually the sort of collapsible seating deck you get at golf tournaments etc. placed within a larger roof:

p118082517-4.jpg

Terrace cover on the far side has been gone for many years - may even have been dismantled by Gretna FC before or while they were groundsharing at Motherwell. Certainly it had been removed by the time I saw Berwick play there in the City Cup in spring 2013 so 6.5yrs ago. It was only a few steps deep - and I read that fans would bash the corrugated iron roof, and rust would come sprinkling down.

There was also a deeper terrace behind the other goal which had a roof in the centre supported by 2 rows of slender metal rods. Going by photos online it was also dismantled during late Gretna FC period.

Was the terracing at the now open end not replaced by a temporary stand during gretna’s glory days in the sfl?

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

p118082517-4.jpg

As far as i am aware, the stand in the picture is available to use.  There was sufficent maintenance done on it during the summer.  I don't understand why personally as we're not going to get attendances of any size for us to get any use out of it but there were supporters in it on Saturday against Bonnyrigg and i recall seeing other supporters in it another time.

20 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

Was the terracing at the now open end not replaced by a temporary stand during gretna’s glory days in the sfl?

Yes your correct, the open part at the side (where i stand to watch games now) did have a temporary stand there when the old club were in the SFL.  It was taken out either when the club gained promotion to the Spl or when the administrators came in.

2 hours ago, gretnascotty said:

As far as i am aware, the stand in the picture is available to use.  There was sufficent maintenance done on it during the summer.  I don't understand why personally as we're not going to get attendances of any size for us to get any use out of it but there were supporters in it on Saturday against Bonnyrigg and i recall seeing other supporters in it another time.

Fair enough - hadn't realised it had been repaired over the closed season.

Suppose the amount of covered space would be quite limited without it: couple hundred seats?

2 hours ago, pipedreamer said:

Don't remember that.

There was a temporary covered terrace between the current seated stands:

2504443241_79e706502a_b.jpg

These were the 2 demolished terraces:

Gretna4.JPG

143393859_28796f769c_b.jpg