The Gretna 2008 Thread

gretnascotty

Thought i would start this as other teams seem to have one but we don't have anything recent.

Gretna won 6-1 away at Whitehill today & what a result that is! Only followed via Welfare's twitter but sounds like we were once again superb (coming back from 1-0 down also) 

I was at the game on Wednesday & have to say its the best performance i've seen from us at Raydale in a good 12 months.  Irons & Aitken need to be commended for the transformation of the team in the last month, No idea what Henney was playing at but if you'd seen us in pre-season & at home to Civil in the 1st game of the season you would see why i'm so impressed! Glad to see the back of the old boss.

Not getting carried away but i honestly thought we'd do well to stay up this season but now top half/mid table sounds much more realistic.  Hopefully attendances pick up in the coming weeks, they certainly will if we keep improving like this.

On 26/08/2017 at 17:19, gretnascotty said:

Thought i would start this as other teams seem to have one but we don't have anything recent.

Gretna won 6-1 away at Whitehill today & what a result that is! Only followed via Welfare's twitter but sounds like we were once again superb (coming back from 1-0 down also) 

I was at the game on Wednesday & have to say its the best performance i've seen from us at Raydale in a good 12 months.  Irons & Aitken need to be commended for the transformation of the team in the last month, No idea what Henney was playing at but if you'd seen us in pre-season & at home to Civil in the 1st game of the season you would see why i'm so impressed! Glad to see the back of the old boss.

Not getting carried away but i honestly thought we'd do well to stay up this season but now top half/mid table sounds much more realistic.  Hopefully attendances pick up in the coming weeks, they certainly will if we keep improving like this.

Yous had practically a new team on Saturday from previous weeks. Have ye spent a wee bit money on players? 3 or 4 youngsters from Queens as well I heard. 

Edited by newcastle broon

On 29/08/2017 at 00:01, newcastle broon said:

Yous had practically a new team on Saturday from previous weeks. Have ye spent a wee bit money on players? 3 or 4 youngsters from Queens as well I heard. 

6 shillings and 5 pence I hear.

New season and more or less rebuilding a new team. 

Same as many at our level.

Having read Scott's original post, I decided to take in the Gretna match today.  It has been so long since I have been to Raydale, Hibs have even won the cup :P

At the start of the match, I feared the worse when I saw the main Gretna striker, he looked so unfit.  How wrong could I be, he was the hardest working player on the park.  He must have covered every blade of grass on the pitch.  Other than him, there was no other outstanding Gretna player.  The team just seemed to be well organised and tight in every area.  The new management team have certainly got them working well together. 

Defensively, I think that any team will find them hard to break down this season.  I can only think of one effort that the students had on goal, when Jamieson saved well from the near post (Johnny captain??).  This was despite the uni team having large periods of being on the ball, they just seemed to do nothing with it.

Up front Gretna looked threatening for the majority of the match.  I can see why they put six past Whitehill last week (Sir Peter must have been worth hearing).  Today they could easily have done the same.   There was certainly more than goal between the teams.

It was good to be back and it won't be my only visit this season.

Was at work last saturday so didn't see the game but was told Gretna battled to a 1-0 win.  Good to see a bit of organisation & that i believe was the second consecutive home clean sheet.  Not working this weekend so looking forward to the game this weekend, not confident we'll win against EK but far more optimistic we'll give them a good game.

43 minutes ago, gretnascotty said:

Was at work last saturday so didn't see the game but was told Gretna battled to a 1-0 win.  Good to see a bit of organisation & that i believe was the second consecutive home clean sheet.  Not working this weekend so looking forward to the game this weekend, not confident we'll win against EK but far more optimistic we'll give them a good game.

Oh! We could get stuffed! 

As long as you buy me a pint it will compensate me.

A decent performance will do from the boys.

• 4 weeks later...

Good peformance yesterday from Gretna against a very good side in BSC.  We almost handed BSC their first defeat of the season & that result would have been deserved, a very even first half i thought, they came out of the blocks 2nd half quickly & looked to be getting on top but their opening goal came against the run of play after a good 5/10 min bit of pressure from Gretna, I honestly thought this game would go a bit like the EK game a few weeks back & we would lose by a few but we showed great character to get a quick equaliser followed by taking the league shortly after. BSC got an equaliser shortly after hitting the post but it was a weak goal for Gretna to concede.

Man of the match - Steven Black, thought he was excellent, we play an awful lot better with Blackie marshalling things at the back.

Special mention to Wrighty in goals, replace an injured Jonny, no idea if this was just a short term replacement but very good to see him back after a few years away, played very well (although should have done better for their equaliser) but a very good showing.

Been a tough few weeks but i'd fancy us to do well on Wednesday night away at Edu Sport, the game is at Annan so hopefully we can get a good crowd.

Irons/Aitken have really turned this team around, we showed great belief and character throughout, incredible to think this is pretty much the same team that were so shambolic in the first 2 games of the season!

3 hours ago, gretnascotty said:

Good peformance yesterday from Gretna against a very good side in BSC.  We almost handed BSC their first defeat of the season & that result would have been deserved, a very even first half i thought, they came out of the blocks 2nd half quickly & looked to be getting on top but their opening goal came against the run of play after a good 5/10 min bit of pressure from Gretna, I honestly thought this game would go a bit like the EK game a few weeks back & we would lose by a few but we showed great character to get a quick equaliser followed by taking the league shortly after. BSC got an equaliser shortly after hitting the post but it was a weak goal for Gretna to concede.

Man of the match - Steven Black, thought he was excellent, we play an awful lot better with Blackie marshalling things at the back.

Special mention to Wrighty in goals, replace an injured Jonny, no idea if this was just a short term replacement but very good to see him back after a few years away, played very well (although should have done better for their equaliser) but a very good showing.

Been a tough few weeks but i'd fancy us to do well on Wednesday night away at Edu Sport, the game is at Annan so hopefully we can get a good crowd.

Irons/Aitken have really turned this team around, we showed great belief and character throughout, incredible to think this is pretty much the same team that were so shambolic in the first 2 games of the season!

As you would expect my view of the game is somewhat different from Scotty's. Gretna started well, pressing and taking the game to BSC, however as the first half progressed BSC started to take control and by half time I thought we looked comfortable.

What was clear from BSC throughout the game was the lack of clinical finishing. They created enough chances in this game to wins 3 or 4 matches. Apart from the 2 scored, they had a goal disallowed, 2 cleared off the line and as Scotty mentioned one off the post and 3 other gilt edged chances 2 to Gary Redpath and 1 to Jack Smith all squandered. 

If the goals Gretna conceded were a disappointment, then the ones BSC conceded were just ridiculous.  Where I do agree with Scotty though is the fantastic job Davie Irons is doing and a really nice guy as well. In the end a draw was probably fair but BSC manager Stephen Swift will be demanding a much better performance on Wednesday against Gala.

Great to hear that another team(Gretna)are on the up as the league needs this otherwise the big spending clubs -:) will run away with the league.

BSC are now starting to feel the pressure of being top and having to deal with the expectation of always having to win...looking down from the top can be scary -:)