Guess the ground

Flybhoy

Goody good. Ironically it was GnR's hill that was the clue as Huddersfield certainly isn't the flatest. It won't be Preston as there aren't hills like that around there so I think stiff letters to the publishers are needed. 

I'll have to concede on this one... Two reference books I have say it's Deepdale, Preston - but it doesn't look like the main stand there and does Huddersfield's. So well done.

Another:

BQsLwCSCYAAiR3k.jpg

Looks very Archie Leitch....i think it might be the one Non League stand he designed but i can't remember the team or name.

My guess would be Romford and a check of what pops up on Yahoo images confirms it. Building an overly large stand basically bankrupted them as it was part of a push to get into the Football League that didn't work out as the bottom clubs always got reelected.

romford+001.JPG

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 18:06, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Looks very Archie Leitch....i think it might be the one Non League stand he designed but i can't remember the team or name.

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 08:51, LongTimeLurker said:

My guess would be Romford and a check of what pops up on Yahoo images confirms it. Building an overly large stand basically bankrupted them as it was part of a push to get into the Football League that didn't work out as the bottom clubs always got reelected.

Romford, correct.

Pike's_Lane.jpg

On 9/7/2017 at 16:11, killiejim said:

Think 7-2 has it. Leeds Road Huddersfield.

that's nailed on - the only time that those two teams played each other in that competition was 27th Feb 1943 - at Leeds Road;

here's the main stand after it was burned down in 1950 - you can see that distinctive paneling along the front of the top tier...

Leeds%20Road,%20Huffersfield%20Town%20af

3 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Another Leeds photo

leeds-road4054l.jpg

that's the re-built main stand, after the fire - which has caused the confusion...

and i'll defer to your swiftness and delete my pic of the dalton bank terrace - even though I made a smart-arsed "dark satanic mill" reference :P

Edited by Herman Hessian

27 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

that's the re-built main stand, after the fire - which has caused the confusion...

and i'll defer to your swiftness and delete my pic of the dalton bank terrace - even though I made a smart-arsed "dark satanic mill" reference :P

:thumsup2

The mills, e.g. Dugdale Brothers, are still going. Not so dark and satanic now. Great place to have suit made at a reasonable price. I will be in Yorkshire next week. :)

ETA - Huddersfield are playing Leicester at home on Saturday. I may be able to go if tickets are available.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Here's one that doesn't rely on being from the dawn of photography to be obscure:

036550_c2813af8.jpg

A former Scotland international played here before he became famous.

Looks like Carloway, one of my regular haunts. Oh aye, Ronnie McKinnon.

img_1149.jpg.a20df4956074d387127370e81ef30bd1.jpg

Edited by The Mantis