Friends with your enemies

ICTChris

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 03:44, Bairnardo said:

Has anyone mentioned that SweeperDee turned down his Nat King based on politics.....

That was more to do with "fanny fright" than any Political leanings.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shades75 said:

I don't know if I should be ashamed to admit it or not, I might be intolerant, but I've a number of people that I now avoid because I really can't stick their views on Brexit/immigration etc....

Depends if they are shouty, angry lecturing types or if they can engage in reasoned debate about the subject in my opinion.

I have been a Labour Party member for 39 years, voted for them in every ballot since I was elegible. Utter loathe the Tories. But, my two best mates are arch Conservatives and members of that party. We have healthy adult debates and I immensely enjoy their company. One of them has always been there when I have had some dark times. That's what a friendship is, not about their politics.

I have been a Labour Party member for 39 years, voted for them in every ballot since I was elegible. Utter loathe the Tories. But, my two best mates are arch Conservatives and members of that party. We have healthy adult debates and I immensely enjoy their company. One of them has always been there when I have had some dark times. That's what a friendship is, not about their politics.

Good to hear that your friendships rise above party politics, but as a long term labour member, how do you feel about the alliances/coalitions the two parties have formed in Aberdeen etc?

Good to hear that your friendships rise above party politics, but as a long term labour member, how do you feel about the alliances/coalitions the two parties have formed in Aberdeen etc?

Remember that those Labour councillors were thrown out of the party for doing this, rightly so, and are now independent councillors.

8 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

Remember that those Labour councillors were thrown out of the party for doing this, rightly so, and are now independent councillors.

Funny that it was reported up here that the Tory, Labour and 3 Independent councillors had agreed to change the leader's position to a co-leader to allow the Tories to share the position with the Labour councillors.  The council's own website also has them listed as Scottish Labour Party, see here.

They may be officially suspended from the party but they are Labour and still call themselves such.

Funny that it was reported up here that the Tory, Labour and 3 Independent councillors had agreed to change the leader's position to a co-leader to allow the Tories to share the position with the Labour councillors.  The council's own website also has them listed as Scottish Labour Party, see here.
They may be officially suspended from the party but they are Labour and still call themselves such.

They call themselves "Aberdeen Labour " as opposed to "Scottish Labour"

They're independent from the party but not from each other

You and highland Magyar should probably call this a draw

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

They call themselves "Aberdeen Labour " as opposed to "Scottish Labour"

They're independent from the party but not from each other

You and highland Magyar should probably call this a draw

What is this "Scottish Labour" that you mention?  I have looked up the registered political parties and can find no mention of such. ;)

I am sure there are Tories who are empathetic on a personal level with friends and relations whilst having a completely different attitude towards the wider population.

"What, you're personally affected by the bedroom tax, here I'll help you, just f**k all these other folk I don't personally know".

Seeing as my pals are all Dundee lads in mid 30s it probably won't be surprising that there is not one of us is not an independence supporting, pro EU social democraticy type world view.

The only britnat Tory I know is my grandad. What can you do?

Find new pals that aren't a bunch of utterly predictable bores.

I am sure there are Tories who are empathetic on a personal level with friends and relations whilst having a completely different attitude towards the wider population.
"What, you're personally affected by the bedroom tax, here I'll help you, just f**k all these other folk I don't personally know".

I am sure there are Nationalists who are empathetic on a personal level with friends and relations outwith Scotland whilst having a completely different attitude towards the wider population.

5 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I am sure there are Nationalists who are empathetic on a personal level with friends and relations outwith Scotland whilst having a completely different attitude towards the wider population.

You believe that one characteristic of Scottish nationalism is to be actively hostile and uncaring to people from other countries?

I am sure there are Nationalists who are empathetic on a personal level with friends and relations outwith Scotland whilst having a completely different attitude towards the wider population.

This the myth that Unionists like to portray, want independence,therefor must dislike the English/other nationalities. It appears that the idea of running your own country,while getting along with the people of other countries is alien to them.Strange bunch.

9 hours ago, jakedee said:

This the myth that Unionists like to portray, want independence,therefor must dislike the English/other nationalities. It appears that the idea of running your own country,while getting along with the people of other countries is alien to them.Strange bunch.

Yet many of the same will balk at the idea that they must dislike European nationals in order to "want UK sovereignty back" from the EU.

19 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Yet many of the same will balk at the idea that they must dislike European nationals in order to "want UK sovereignty back" from the EU.

Equating EU membership and Scottish Independence is a ridiculous comparison.

"We" have "UK soveteignty", we don't need to reclaim it.

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Equating EU membership and Scottish Independence is a ridiculous comparison.

"We" have "UK soveteignty", we don't need to reclaim it.

Tell that to Gove, Fox, Johnson, Farage, et alia. Each of these creatures has waxed lyrical about the need for the UK to reclaim sovereignty from the EU, and to be self-governing. However, they appear to simultaneously think that being a self-governing, sovereign state is a bad thing. Apparently being part of a semi-federal supranational union is not acceptable for a country like the UK, which deserves as much autonomy as possible, but being incorporated into a single state with its neighbors is absolutely crucial for Scotland, because it doesn't. 

Just now, Antlion said:

Tell that to Gove, Fox, Johnson, Farage, et alia. Each of these creatures has waxed lyrical about the need for the UK to reclaim sovereignty from the EU, and to be self-governing. However, they appear to simultaneously think that being a self-governing, sovereign state is a bad thing. Apparently being part of a semi-federal supranational union is not acceptable for a country like the UK, which deserves as much autonomy as possible, but being incorporated into a single state with its neighbors is absolutely crucial for Scotland, because it doesn't. 

None of these folk see Scotland as a country.  They are not alone, apparently Corbyn doesn't think it is practical for Scotland to have it's own legal system.

Archived