• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
bluedragon

Junior Internationals – questions, help, clarification, etc.

Hello,

1st post here, I'm trying to find out more about the cap in this image. It was awarded to my great grandmother's 1st husband who's name was either I'm led to believe John or James Whyte. The history is a bit sketchy, hence my post.  If anyone has anymore information on what game it was awarded for for or which club he represented I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

IMG_E1692.jpg

If that is a Junior International cap from 1904 then there were two internationals in that year:

26 Mar 1904 v Ireland at Celtic Park, Glasgow Won 4-1 (ht 2-0)

9 Apr 1904 v England at Villa Park, Birmingham Lost 1-2 (ht 1-0)

Unfortunately there is not a White or Whyte in the 16 players we have who played in the two matches. They are:

William Anderson (Parkhead)

George Archibald (Edinburgh Myrtle)

Campbell (Renfrew Victoria)

James Dargue (Burnbank Athletic)

James Ferguson (Strathclyde)

Grieve (Duntocher Hibernian)

Hutchison (Blantyre Victoria)

William Johnstone (Darvel)

Charles Keir (Cambuslang Rangers)

Archibald "Punch" Kyle (Parkhead)

William Lavety (Vale of Clyde) (possibly spelt Lavity and Laverty)

James Lawrence (Glasgow Perthshire)

Robert Mason (Burnbank Athletic)

Alec Morton (Darvel)

Roddie Paterson (Parkhead)

Smith (Vale of Clyde)

I could not find a White or Whyte in a quick look at the reserve teams that were named. If there was a call-off in the selected XI then the player in the same position in the reserve XI would take his place. One of the reserve XI would be selected to be the travelling reserve and I believe would have received a cap. I also could not find a White or Whyte in any of the trial teams in the games played to help select the teams.

Do you have any more clues?  I will take a deeper look at the information surrounding those two games  and the players involved.

Edited by bluedragon

That's really interesting, thanks for the information bluedragon.

I'm making an assumption it's a Junior International cap but wasn't sure if it was youth or juvenile cap. My family seem to think it's more likely to be a junior one though. I've since found out his name was Thomas Whyte! I'm not sure where he was born but I believe he was local to the Falkirk/Slamannan area and assume he played locally. He was 20 years old when he got married to my great grandmother in 1905 meaning the cap would have been awarded when he was either 18/19 years old which is why I don't think it's a juvenile or youth one. I know that name still isn't on that list of players so I'm stuck now!

1 hour ago, TheRaithRover said:

That's really interesting, thanks for the information bluedragon.

I'm making an assumption it's a Junior International cap but wasn't sure if it was youth or juvenile cap. My family seem to think it's more likely to be a junior one though. I've since found out his name was Thomas Whyte! I'm not sure where he was born but I believe he was local to the Falkirk/Slamannan area and assume he played locally. He was 20 years old when he got married to my great grandmother in 1905 meaning the cap would have been awarded when he was either 18/19 years old which is why I don't think it's a juvenile or youth one. I know that name still isn't on that list of players so I'm stuck now!

Of course juvenile just meant the grade below the juniors and didn't refer to the age of the player as well, although there was an upper age limit ?

Have to say 1904 seems to be a bit early for a juvenile international though. JUst as I was typing this I noticed bluedragons reply, SJFA possibly Stirlingshire Junior football Association  was what I was going to write.

Edited by gogsy

The second cap does looks remarkably like your photograph. However, another possibility is that the lettering stands for "Stirlingshire Junior Football Association" that would tie in with the Falkirk/Slamannan area. County select teams played each other at that time and caps would have been awarded. I have found a Whyte playing for Grange Rovers at that time but I am still trying to find a Stirlingshire JFA line-up with him in it.

Edited by bluedragon

Some more!

Stirlingshire played Dunbartonshire in a Junior inter-county match on 14 May 1904 but there was no Whyte in the originally selected team or the one that took the field.

The Scottish Juvenile Football Association were trying to organise a match in Bradford or Leeds for Easter Monday 1904. Unfortunately I cannot, so far, find if the match took place. If it did it would be promising for your cap.

Edited by bluedragon

Thanks very much for your contributions guys. I made an assumption SJFA was juniors as that was the logical thinking (and the 1st thing Google said!)

The button on top of the cap I have looks almost identical to the one in the auction photo. 

He was known locally as Tam and the Slamannan connection to Stirlingshire makes sense. Either way it's just nice to know a little bit more about where it might have originated from. 

RaithRover – some more information!

A friend has been looking at this and found “Whyte (Grange Rovers)” playing (and scoring a hat-trick!) for Stirlingshire in a 4:1 win over Dunbartonshire on 18 February 1905 at Boghead Park, Dumbarton. The match was described as a trial match for the Junior International team. However, it is quite possible that this was a scheduled inter-county match, with a cap awarded, that was also used by the selectors. This happened on other occasions.

The trial matches were usually played in January & February ahead of internationals in March & April.

Clearly this does not tie with the year (1904) shown on your cap. However, there could be a number of reasons for this:

1) The inter-county match may have been originally scheduled to be played in the earlier part of the season (1904) and was re-scheduled to 18 February 1905 for some reason or another but after the caps had been purchased.

2) Other caps I have seen often have the season (1904/05) rather than a single year. Maybe the year on your cap (1904) refers to the start of the season?

This also does not get over the identical cap you found on the Internet for 1905. Again, there could be reasons for that:

1) The internet cap is in fact a Stirlingshire cap.

2) Both caps were made by the same manufacturer.

Anyway back to “Whyte (Grange Rovers)”! He looks to be John Jarvie Whyte who signed for East Stirlingshire from Grange Rovers having previously played for Airth Castle Rangers and Skinflats Rising Star. He played for East Stirlingshire in 1905/06 & 1906/07. He was born in Bothkennar in 1883 and was married in 1906. So this does not tie in exactly with the dates you have and is not a Thomas but on the other hand he would not be the first person to be known by a name that is not on their birth certificate.

Anyway some food for thought even if there are lots of ifs, buts and maybes!

Edited by bluedragon

A contact has given me some helpful information on the possible Juvenile connections to the cap. Stirlingshire Juveniles had an annual match against Glasgow Juveniles at this time. Unfortunately newspaper reports were brief and there were no team line-ups.

From what I have found the 1904 match probably took place on either 7 May 1904 or a Saturday following closely after 14 May 1904 when Glasgow and Edinburgh Juveniles met at Atlas Park in Glasgow.

It appears that the Stirlingshire Juvenile Football Association only had the one representative match each season and that could account for the year (1904) rather than the season (1903/04) being embroidered on the cap.

So where does that leave us? The "S" in "SJFA 1904" almost certainly stands for "Stirlingshire" and perhaps "J" is more likely to be "Juvenile" as the "Junior" links do not quite match up with  the information known by TheRaithRover,

Edited by bluedragon

Thanks bluedragon,

The history of it is sketchy to say the least. My mother told me it belonged to her grandmother's 1st husband who was definitely Thomas Whyte. It was then handed down to my maternal grandmother  who then gave it to my paternal grandfather as he "liked the fitba". They have all since died so I'm relying on bits of information from what my mother can remember but because it wasn't her actual grandfather there was less interest in its history. 

Thanks for taking the time to research it. I guess we'll never know exactly where it came from but Stirlingshire and Juvenile seem most likely given all you've uncovered.

14 hours ago, TheRaithRover said:

Thanks bluedragon,

The history of it is sketchy to say the least. My mother told me it belonged to her grandmother's 1st husband who was definitely Thomas Whyte. It was then handed down to my maternal grandmother  who then gave it to my paternal grandfather as he "liked the fitba". They have all since died so I'm relying on bits of information from what my mother can remember but because it wasn't her actual grandfather there was less interest in its history. 

Thanks for taking the time to research it. I guess we'll never know exactly where it came from but Stirlingshire and Juvenile seem most likely given all you've uncovered.

TheRaithRover - It was a pleasure to try and help and to ask others for their assistance.

Another contact has been looking at this and has told me that the Scottish Juvenile Football Association match planned for Easter 1904 in Bradford was declined by the Bradford and District Association soon after it was suggested. This means that taken along with everything else we know  you can be reasonably confident to say that the cap was presented by the Stirlingshire Juvenile Football Association for the match against Glasgow Juveniles in May 1904.