Junior Internationals – questions, help, clarification, etc.

bluedragon

4 hours ago, bluedragon said:

I am looking for some more help please. I am trying to find the forename of each of the  following players from the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's who each made one appearance  for the SJFA XI and mostly in non-international  matches.

McMillan (Pollok) 1962

Ronnie McMillan.

6 hours ago, Sandgrownun said:

If the Paterson (Sauchie) was a goalkeeper, it was John, more usually Jock. 

I have written a couple of books on Shotts Bon Accord and have never encountered the name Kegman as a player.

Thanks. The Paterson is a goalkeeper who played against Arsenal in 1969.  My apologies for "Kegman". On checking it should have read "Keenan".  

1 hour ago, FuzzyBear said:

Harkins might be James of Linlithgow Rose. Not sure if he got selected but right era.

Thanks FuzzyBear.  I have also been given a lead of a Harkins who played for Glasgow Perthshire and Pollok at around the same time. But as with your suggestion they were not sure if he got selected. 

Thank you for all the help so far. Here is the revised list:

Conlin (Camelon) 1961

Inkson (Banks o'Dee) 1968

Keenan (Shotts Bon Accord) 1962

McCulloch (Glenafton Athletic) 1982

Turnbull (Aberdeen Sunnybank) 1981

And the two players where I am also looking for their club as well:

Denholm (Unknown) 1971

Harkins (Unknown) 1979 – possibly Jim of Linlithgow Rose or Harkins of Glasgow Perthshire/Pollok?

9 hours ago, bluedragon said:

Thank you for all the help so far. Here is the revised list:

Conlin (Camelon) 1961

Inkson (Banks o'Dee) 1968

Keenan (Shotts Bon Accord) 1962

McCulloch (Glenafton Athletic) 1982

Turnbull (Aberdeen Sunnybank) 1981

And the two players where I am also looking for their club as well:

Denholm (Unknown) 1971

Harkins (Unknown) 1979 – possibly Jim of Linlithgow Rose or Harkins of Glasgow Perthshire/Pollok?

It wouldn't be Sam McCulloch of Glenafton, later to be Talbot hero, would it?

32 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

It wouldn't be Sam McCulloch of Glenafton, later to be Talbot hero, would it?

I thought that might be a strong possibility. However, “McCulloch (Glenafton Athletic)” played his one game in 1982 where as Sam played his one match in 1987. That seemed to be quite a gap. However, could it be Bobby McCulloch who played one game in the season before (1981) while a Cumnock player?

Can I get some more help please?
Forenames for the following players:
Kilsyth Rangers
McGinn - 1 game in 1971
W Lees  - 3 games as captain in 1968
I Morrison - 1 game in 1963
Pearson - 1 game in 1968
Wilson  -  1 game in 1988
Dunipace
McAra   - 2 games in 1950
Paisley  -1 game in 1990
Question
Is “Mulhall (Kilsyth Rangers)” capped once in 1953 George Mulhall later of Aberdeen, Sunderland & Scotland?

The McAra of Dunipace was Bobby McAra who went senior with Dumbarton.In the years before his death he was involved with hometown club Sauchie.
As mentioned elsewhere the other Pace player is John Paisley.

Hopefully I’ll have time to reply to a few other queries later.

16 hours ago, PRICEY said:

The McAra of Dunipace was Bobby McAra who went senior with Dumbarton.In the years before his death he was involved with hometown club Sauchie.
As mentioned elsewhere the other Pace player is John Paisley.

Hopefully I’ll have time to reply to a few other queries later.

Thanks Pricey much appreciated.  The name has been added to the list.

Our list of players without forenames from Rob Roy, Kilsyth  and Dunipace is now back to pre-Second World War (and some pre-First World War!) and very difficult to trace. However, here they are in case anyone can help.

McGregor (Dunipace) 1900

McKay (Dunipace) 1906

Miller (Kirkintilloch Rob Roy) 1890

Mills D (Kilsyth Emmet) 1919

Moffat (Dunipace) 1912

Moffat (Dunipace) 1925

Rae (Dunipace) 1902

Smith (Dunipace) 1931

Sneddon (Kilsyth Rangers) 1916

Torrance (Kirkintilloch Rob Roy) 1898

Tweedley (Kirkintilloch Rob Roy) 1920

Thanks Pricey much appreciated.  The name has been added to the list.
Our list of players without forenames from Rob Roy, Kilsyth  and Dunipace is now back to pre-Second World War (and some pre-First World War!) and very difficult to trace. However, here they are in case anyone can help.
McGregor (Dunipace) 1900
McKay (Dunipace) 1906
Miller (Kirkintilloch Rob Roy) 1890
Mills D (Kilsyth Emmet) 1919
Moffat (Dunipace) 1912
Moffat (Dunipace) 1925
Rae (Dunipace) 1902
Smith (Dunipace) 1931
Sneddon (Kilsyth Rangers) 1916
Torrance (Kirkintilloch Rob Roy) 1898
Tweedley (Kirkintilloch Rob Roy) 1920

Off the top of my head,McKay of Dunipace was Tam McKay

Of the line-ups we have we are now only missing forenames for nine Post-War players. Here are the nine of which some would have featured in earlier posts. As ever, any help will be very much appreciated.

Current clubs

1. McCulloch (Glenafton Athletic) 1982

2. McCartney (Shettleston) 1993

3. Marr (Shotts Bon Accord) 1994

4. Turnbull (Sunnybank) 1981

Defunct clubs

5. J McKenzie (Stonehouse Violet) 1949

Now a Highland League club

6. Alexander (Inverurie Loco Works) 1993

7. Ross (Inverurie Loco Works) 1993

No club details known

8. Denholm (Unknown) 1971 – There was a Denholm playing for Pumpherston at around this time but do not have anything more to go on.

9. Harkins (Unknown) 1979 – As from previous posts we think that this might be Jim Harkins of Linlithgow Rose or a Harkins of Glasgow Perthshire & Polllok.

Edited by bluedragon

1 hour ago, bluedragon said:

Of the line-ups we have we are now only missing forenames for nine Post-War players. Here are the nine of which some would have featured in earlier posts. As ever, any help will be very much appreciated.

Current clubs

Defunct clubs

No club details known

8. Denholm (Unknown) 1971 – There was a Denholm playing for Pumpherston at around this time but do not have anything more to go on.

9. Harkins (Unknown) 1979 – As from previous posts we think that this might be Jim Harkins of Linlithgow Rose or a Harkins of Glasgow Perthshire & Polllok.

"McCulloch (Glenafton Athletic)" is Sam McCulloch later capped at Auchinleck Talbot. There was a five year gap between Junior Scotland matches hence the hesitation in linking the two players but it has now been confirmed to me. Only 8 now left!

4 hours ago, bluedragon said:

Current clubs

Defunct clubs

No club details known

McCartney (Shettleston) 1993 - Would most likely be David

On 22/11/2017 at 16:36, peasy23 said:

McCartney (Shettleston) 1993 - Would most likely be David

Thanks Peasy 23. I have also now got Cammy Ross of Iverurie Loco Works that brings the number of forenames to find down to six.

Edited by bluedragon

• 1 month later...

With the terrific help of many, many contributors we have now compiled an updated version of the record of junior internationals.  Virtually every line-up and goalscorer is listed along with as many trial, representative and benefit matches that we could find. The database is in the form of an excel spreadsheet and can be downloaded by this link.

http://www.scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk/scotlandjuniorinternationals.xlsx

We still need help to find missing matches together with the line-ups, goalscorers and other match details for some of the games we have listed. We have included a list of “information required”.

Other on-going tasks are to ensure the correct spelling of players’ surnames, finding forenames and ensuring club affiliations are correct. We also need to finalise the timeline for managers put in charge of the team since the first was appointed in 1973.

Having said all that we hope that it will be useful for those interested in the history of Junior football and/or their own club.

Please do let us know if you have any amendments, corrections, additions or questions. Our aim is from time to time to issue revised versions as new information comes to light.