The Big Solidarity Payment Thread

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Jagsman411971 said:

According to STV, the £365,000 that each Premier league club would get, can only be spent on youth development.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1395864-celtic-set-to-bank-26-4m-for-champions-league-qualification/

That's not so bad then, Celtic have to spend their £25 Million on kids too, right? Because UEFA would always be even handed in something like this

I'm going to play devils advocate against the majority on this thread and agree with the OPs sentiment, if not his actual words as I suspect a bit of trolling is intended.

As for Celtic taking other best young players and not playing them that is exactly the same as Kilmarnock taking a youngster from a team in a lower division and not playing them.

Its Celtic profiting from bigotry that I don't agree with.

I'm going to play devils advocate against the majority on this thread and agree with the OPs sentiment, if not his actual words as I suspect a bit of trolling is intended.
As for Celtic taking other best young players and not playing them that is exactly the same as Kilmarnock taking a youngster from a team in a lower division and not playing them.
Its Celtic profiting from bigotry that I don't agree with.

which players have Kilmarnock taken from lower leagues and then just benched??

3 hours ago, dogmc said:

which players have Kilmarnock taken from lower leagues and then just benched??

Stupid dog woke me up due to the thunder and lightning so I had a quick check across the last 5 years and, whilst to be fair there wasn't too many, players who've had success at lower levels who we took and didn't play are:

Rory Boulding

Kyle Jacobs

Paul Cairney

Kallum Higginbotham 

There may be more that I've missed but in terms of our first team players they have either been our own youths (and none of them good enough that Celtic have tried to sign them) or loans/free transfers from outside Scotland.

You can turn around and say those players didn't make it because they weren't good enough but I would counter that by saying the same about those who Celtic signed. If you are good enough you will play.

No, I'm pretty sure someone already pointed out the hypocrisy of Celtic complaining they can't keep up with Barca/Juve/etc financially while using their own financial muscle to dominate the Scottish game.

So for 6 games Celtic fans get to feel like the rest of Scottish football fans feel with the financial muscle of clubs are against us,personally i couldn't careless.
I have no interest in the coins that the clubs make, for me it's all about the football,it's 11 v 11 plus competing against the best teams across Europe.
There is to much emphasise on the coin in Scotland with not enough focus on the football.
The £300.000 is a token gesture to clubs but they done nothing to get it,it's a gift or a hand out to clubs spend it wisely.

Do thick as f*ck scottish football fans still think bigger clubs buying players from smaller clubs is a phenomenon only exclusive to Scotland?

Slightly missing the point.

There will always be a disparity between clubs at varying degrees, that is of course the case and is seen all over the world. Every club has their 'place' when it comes to resources and only a handful of clubs can ever really afford not to sell at the right price. Even then clubs like Man Utd will be forced to sell under certain circumstances.

However, the money Celtic get from the champions league (let's say £30m for arguments sake) is 10 times what Celtic get for winning the league. We only have 1 champions league spot which means that no other club in Scotland has access to that resource.

The champions league is not designed for Scotland, some may even argue it is designed to specifically exclude countries like Scotland. Celtic have breached that glass ceiling and kudos, they have every right to pursue that and they've done it well. But it completely stifles competition within this country, and whilst it is funny to lord it over Scottish football and most importantly your best mates across the city the truth is no one will be able to touch Celtic for years in Scotland. This is not a good thing.

Football is not the pursuit of revenues as some people will have you believe. It should still be a sport first, business second. One team earning more than 10 times everyone else is disastrous for competition.

There will always be a disparity between clubs at varying degrees, that is of course the case and is seen all over the world. Every club has their 'place' when it comes to resources and only a handful of clubs can ever really afford not to sell at the right price. Even then clubs like Man Utd will be forced to sell under certain circumstances.

However, the money Celtic get from the champions league (let's say £30m for arguments sake) is 10 times what Celtic get for winning the league. We only have 1 champions league spot which means that no other club in Scotland has access to that resource.

The champions league is not designed for Scotland, some may even argue it is designed to specifically exclude countries like Scotland. Celtic have breached that glass ceiling and kudos, they have every right to pursue that and they've done it well. But it completely stifles competition within this country, and whilst it is funny to lord it over Scottish football and most importantly your best mates across the city the truth is no one will be able to touch Celtic for years in Scotland. This is not a good thing.

Football is not the pursuit of revenues as some people will have you believe. It should still be a sport first, business second. One team earning more than 10 times everyone else is disastrous for competition.

I should have quoted the poster I was referring to. I agree the champions league money compared to scottish football prize money does distort the league even more. Regardless of this money though we would still buy players off scottish clubs though.

We are currently in the ideal situation for Celtic - Scotland having 1 CL place means that as long as they qualify for the groups each year but don't get to the knockout stage, they will be unassailable domestically as our co-efficient won't get enough of a boost. Potentially 250m odd quid richer over a decade is the kind of thing that will remove any pretence that our league is even the two horse race it's been in the past.

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Your post contradicts itself you go on about every club has it's place then Celtic breaking through glass ceilings?
Celtic qualify for European competitions every year this is celtic's place,Celtic have no control of the kudos we get from UEFA 
As for the rest of Scottish football do better in European competition when your team is involved and share the kudos. 

I should have quoted the poster I was referring to. I agree the champions league money compared to scottish football prize money does distort the league even more. Regardless of this money though we would still buy players off scottish clubs though.

Yes you would, the same way caley have been our feeder club for a few years. I respect all of that.

I just think the level of remuneration for champions league qualification is so high in comparison to how we operate in Scotland that it's a really dangerous thing.

I have no issue with Celtic pursuing it, you have to look after number 1 and that's fair play but I think it's very dangerous.

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Your post contradicts itself you go on about every club has it's place then Celtic breaking through glass ceilings?
Celtic qualify for European competitions every year this is celtic's place,Celtic have no control of the kudos we get from UEFA 
As for the rest of Scottish football do better in European competition when your team is involved and share the kudos. 

No it doesn't.

UEFA have designed a competition for countries like Scotland to fail.  "Qualifying" for European football is not the same as qualifying for the champions league proper.  Celtic have managed to get past that.  I have congratulated you on that.

As for your last comment, we have done ok the last few years (yes, we could be better and Cyprus was shite) but even if we qualified for the EL group stages it's still about a 6th of the CL income.

34 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No it doesn't.

UEFA have designed a competition for countries like Scotland to fail.  "Qualifying" for European football is not the same as qualifying for the champions league proper.  Celtic have managed to get past that.  I have congratulated you on that.

As for your last comment, we have done ok the last few years (yes, we could be better and Cyprus was shite) but even if we qualified for the EL group stages it's still about a 6th of the CL income.

This is one of the key points for me.

If you finish 2nd in one of the big leagues, you go straight into the CL and get huge rewards. If you finish 2nd in some of the smaller leagues, you have to go through qualifiers to play in the EL groups for far less money, and in some cases the equivalent amount to teams that finished 5th or lower in another league.

If FIFA/UEFA want to tackle FFP, they should be looking at their own competitions and prize money first. 

12 hours ago, Jagsman411971 said:

According to STV, the £365,000 that each Premier league club would get, can only be spent on youth development.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1395864-celtic-set-to-bank-26-4m-for-champions-league-qualification/

That doesn't really make any difference in practice - you use that money to pay your youth team's wages and the coaching and training costs, and then you have £365k of gate money or sponsorship income freed up to use elsewhere.

32 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No it doesn't.

Weather Celtic make 10 million from the Europa or 25 million from the champions league i couldn't careless,Celtic's place is European football
This design of competition in UEFA is a semantics argument if your good enough on the park then you get your rewards
This goes back to my original point football isn't all about the coin,if you have a good manager and good players you can achieve things in the game
Teams like Aberdeen have a great history in European football and it's time they started showing that again.

Archived