Free season tickets for school age kids

fan of the juniors

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

That's what I mean, tommy. The wee metal barrier seems to mean that it's ok to shout obscenities at men, who would ordinarily stiffen the culprits if it happened in the street. The kids see men they respect doing this. Bad form!

funny - the polar opposite of your point is exactly why i started going to junior football. 

i used to have an ibrox season ticket up 'til about 10 years ago. the abuse hurled from that stand was appalling. the fact i sided with neil lennon last week says it all about my views it. im glad he answered back, and its pathetic that people complained. i know what he had to listen to for 90mins from thousands of people. 

At junior football, i dont see anything like the level of abuse being dished out at ibrox. you arent just a face / voice in the crowd of thousands at the juniors, you are identifiable either by your target, or others around you (who may be the targets family)... i feel that tends to make people think twice about hurling abuse. 

banter is different... and as long as it stays on the right side of the line, its one of the most appealing parts of junior football. had some great back and forth over the years with fans and players alike.

maybe its an east / west thing, or perhaps its prestonfield that is more civilized!

as an aside - mr lennon was the target of one of the funniest shouts i have heard at the football ever - "i hope your wife grows a c0ck lennon"... banter, not abuse!

Personally I think it's current supporters that keep young yins away. The way adults behave at a fitba match, especially a Junior match, is a case study in how not to conduct yourself when you grow up. 
No place for weans to be as things stand.

Pile of nonsense. I Take my 5 year old regular. He doesn't come away swearing nor does he find it ok to act how some adults do. Was personally taken kilbirnie games from 3 years old. I can tell you this for definite.!! Things then were ten times worse than they are now. Early 80s were horrific for kids of that age. . Especially visiting Talbot!!! or kilbirnie for that matter [emoji23]. Fantastic getting kids of a young age into there local team And I look forward to my Saturday with my boy at games. Teaching him values that he won't learn out shopping with the mrs [emoji123].

Pile of nonsense. I Take my 5 year old regular. He doesn't come away swearing nor does he find it ok to act how some adults do. Was personally taken kilbirnie games from 3 years old. I can tell you this for definite.!! Things then were ten times worse than they are now. Early 80s were horrific for kids of that age. . Especially visiting Talbot!!! or kilbirnie for that matter [emoji23]. Fantastic getting kids of a young age into there local team And I look forward to my Saturday with my boy at games. Teaching him values that he won't learn out shopping with the mrs [emoji123].

Values like value of downing a pint in 5 seconds [emoji4][emoji3]

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 23:36, Hillonearth said:

I think it's an experiment that most teams have tried at some point with varying degrees of success. I'm reminded sometimes of when the Scottish Claymores were playing at Hampden and flooded Glasgow schools with comp tickets, which in practice ended up with them bored shitless after an hour and playing chases up and down the stairwells for the rest of the game.

The problem is that many younger kids just don't have the necessary attention span to actually watch a game for 90 minutes, whereas older ones tend to go through that wee bam phase of testing the boundaries and can end up being an annoyance to some of the punters who are actually paying to see the game.

We may be looking at it the wrong way, as where the real demographic black hole is with a lot of - though not all - teams is in the 25-40 age group...effectively the Sky Sports generation...who are the ones we probably need to target.

Pretty much agree with that.  Kids are simply not interested in watching the games, maybe those in the 14-16 age bracket but then, they are at a stage where its very uncool to be seen at a Junior game anyway.  The younger ones mostly run riot or kick a ball about which ends up on the pitch, annoying fans and disrupting the game whilst their parents simply ignore them.

It's very much a double edged sword and you are correct that the big gap which should be of concern is the 18-35 age group.  Doesn't mean that initiatives like free season tickets for U16's shouldn't be tried (with the proviso that they must be accompanied with an adult) but in my experience they don't really work.

3 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Not every new idea will work - but the worst idea ever is to do nothing and believe what you did in 1958 is still as relevant today.

It’s not like this is some sort of new and radical blue-sky thinking no-one’s hit on before though – many teams have tried it over the last 10-15 years, and I’m not aware of any where there’s been any real evidence of it translating into building long-term support.

Conversely, there have been more than a few instances where sides have been proved wrong in thinking they had a ready made youth-centric support waiting to follow them; I’m thinking of the majority of the former boys’ teams who have joined the LL and Juniors over the last decade or so, who found out the hard way that having a membership into four figures doesn’t necessarily translate into attracting a paying crowd that’s into three figures.

Archived