AirdrieLOANians vs Alloa Athletic

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's game for me could be summed up by the fact or the first time in a very long time my heart rate didn't double every time the opposition attacked our defence. Balatoni was as commanding in defence as Conroy was in midfield.

Kudos to the Ref today, he maybe accused by some of being a bit whistle happy but he needed to be with Goodwin's players trying to emulate him at his worst, they obviously got the message as they cleaned their act up in a booking free 2nd half.

10 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Excellent all round performance. Really good to see Fry in a number 10 role getting forward, allowing Watt and Conroy to be play deeper. Made several chances in 2nd half and played some lovely football. And a clean sheet!!

Fry for me had a great game linking passes and allways looking for the ball.

Most enjoyable game for a number of years. Not one game that I attended last season came close to that. Watt and Conroy were magnificent. How Conroy didn't get MoM I don't know. Fry us good playing further forward and I think Furtado will be a treat to watch when he is fit. Balatoni andMcGregor were excellent too and Rohan looked much more confident than we seen last year. Only performances like this will get the crowds back to a decent level. Keep it up guys.

5 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

Most enjoyable game for a number of years. Not one game that I attended last season came close to that. Watt and Conroy were magnificent. How Conroy didn't get MoM I don't know. Fry us good playing further forward and I think Furtado will be a treat to watch when he is fit. Balatoni andMcGregor were excellent too and Rohan looked much more confident than we seen last year. Only performances like this will get the crowds back to a decent level. Keep it up guys.

Alloa at home in the play off is about the only one that jumps out. 

Meant to say I also thought McIntosh was excellent when he came on. Tidy footballer, there's a player in there you know as TBM has pointed out many times before.

Knew I wasn't imagining Dean Cairns had changed!

Jake Hastie, 18,  best player on the park by 2 country miles.   
Magnificent.

Agree he was excellent couldn't have argued if he got MoM ahead of Conroy who was my pick. His passing was superb at times. 18?? He looks and is built like a 24/25 yr old.
No failures today even McDonald escapes the normal criticism.

Very poor from Alloa today.

Not sure about the balance in midfield, although Robertson and Cawley did well, but up front we were very one dimensional and pedestrian. I'd rather see Cawley or Cook through the middle than Malcolm and certainly Renton. Not sure where Fleming is best employed; the jury is out on him too.

Pity Crossan got injured and hope he's back soon as he looked lively.

That was really, really good from Airdrie, especially in the second half.  In the first half I thought the teams were fairly even - Airdrie having the better of the play, but neither team creating many clear chances.  The shot from Allloa that hit the post was a belter, and would have been goal of the season material had it gone it.  Equally, Furtado (who I remember absolutely roasting us when he was at Stenny last season) had a shot from range that Parry had to scramble to push out. 

In the second half we were utterly dominant, and had we added another two to the tally I don't think it would have flattered us.  Alloa ran out of ideas fairly quickly, and even towards the end when you expect the chasing team to pile on the pressure, we looked the more likely team to score.  Hastie was excellent, and showed some turn of pace [insert pun on his name here] for that chance in the second, and for his goal.  Furtado didn't look 100% match ready to me, but clearly has the vision and skill to excell.  That backheel to Stewart was a joy to watch.  The defence was solid, and Balatoni in particular looked in complete control.  You could see the difference for Conroy, having better players about him really freed him up.  Overall, the team played with confidence and determination - they were taking shots, they were trying things, they didn't panic at the back... just great to watch.

Who knows if we can get either of today's trialists signed up, but it we can, it'd be a good bit of business for us. 

A couple of points.

Having seen the team in action today it's remarkable that they were only thrown together  10 days ago. They looked as if they had been playing together for ages. If, as I understand it, some of them don't train with us, it's even more impressive.

Secondly, Dalziel has received some stick on here but it's time for some credit. If he's only on expenses he has to be lauded for sticking with it during the shambles.

He has to get some credit for bringing these young players to the club. Nobody else in the ever moveable coaching staff could have been involved.

Still early in the season. but encouraging signs.

There seemed a gap between the defence and midfield that Alloa were dropping into; particularly Cawley (7).  Things got better in second half but we are not a cohesive unit just yet.

4 hours ago, diamondman said:

Both teams could be down to 10. Ferguson for handling outside box. Hetherington fortunate to be on after a series of fouls. Should have been booked for late tackle on Fry; totally missed by our friend Mr Finnie.

Some decisions go for you some don't. Only last week one of our players was elbowed on side of the face which went unoticed.Parry could have quite easily got a red card. Decisions went for us and also against us in the game today but there is no denying Airdrie were the far better team today we played football and kept our discipline.

3 minutes ago, Neilly said:

How did Furtado get on? Boy is a talent I'm amazed a Falkirk or something haven't taken a chance considering some of the shite they have.

Didn't look entirely fit, but was creative and clearly has a good football brain.  Was awarded MOTM, which I can't remember any other trialists getting before.

8 minutes ago, Neilly said:

How did Furtado get on? Boy is a talent I'm amazed a Falkirk or something haven't taken a chance considering some of the shite they have.

Looks a bit on the portly side but did well enough the day. Not MOTM

but worth a contract despite being an graduate of the Adam Brown School of Tackling.

Archived