Diana. Where were you?

Flybhoy

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I'm surprised he wasn't a passenger in the car and dived out the boot just in time to see it engulf in flames. He then swam the English Channel and watched a Celtic game ( won 2-0 lol ) before playing a gig with the remaining Beatles on top of a mountain and picking Jayne Middlemiss up in Fubar before riding her up the arse behind his Grans bit.

Forgot witnessing Henrik Larsson curing depression whilst catching a mobile phone.

I'd just moved into my first flat, in fact it was the first night I'd slept there.  Woken up by the radio alarm and thought it had been adjusted in the flitting, I couldn't imagine that the somber music was actually playing on Radio 1.  Then the news came on.
Was due to go to a Killie game that lunchtime and it was postponed. I was beelin'
We had tickets to a Teenage Fanclub gig in Edinburgh that night so frantically managed to get hold of the venue to find out if the gig was still happening.
"Aye, why wouldn't it be?" came the response. Gotta love them Fannies [emoji4]

Funny how memory works. I was at the Teenage Fanclub gig you write of (it was bloody good but too hot inside that wee ckub), and had always remembered of learning from a taxi driver on way home of the accident and then waking to find she'd died.

Also remember U2 at Murrayfield that week and a photo of the crowd in Daily Mail along lines of "how dare these people party while our princess lies on a cold slab" etc.

I missed the day of the funeral entirely due to a massive hangover. I seemed to go out a lot in 1997!

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I remember a news report from that week - that single was recorded early in the week, pressed and released on the Friday, i think.  The news report showed an HMV store at opening - there were people waiting for the shutters to come up, they ducked underneath them and rushed into the shop.  When they reached the shelves, people were literally grabbing as many copies as they could carry - one woman had an armful of singles, must've been about fifty copies, she was sweeping them off the shelf.

Do these people have a 100 copies of the CD single in their garage or something?  Where are they all?  Did they take them to the second hand record shop with their copy of Be Here Now?

I'm led to believe that his follow up single, a tribute to Mother Theresa who died a few days later, called "Sandals in the Bin", didn't sell quite so many.

I was staying the night at a friends house, I would have been 12 at the time.  I remember waking up and my friends dad telling us the news.  I thought all the grieving stuff you saw on the TV over the next few days was very strange.  On the day of the funeral my mum forced us to watch some of it despite the fact I had no interest in watching it.  

I would have been 7 and can mind it being on the news. Can't really mind giving f**k or being told I should. I have more memories of the pictures of everyone lining the streets for the funeral and all the flowers etc. Still don't remember really giving a f**k or being told I should. Shame for her boys but hasn't really had much impact on my life.

I remember the funeral being on all 4 channels which just doesn't seem reasonable to me. Considering 1 and 2 are the same company then why not put something else on for people who didn't want to watch it? Why did channel 4 have to show it? Ridiculous.

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I was coming back from the Runrig concert at Stirling Castle that night and heard on the News that she'd been involved in a car crash. "She doesn't have much luck" I said to myself. Woke up the next morning and heard she was broon breid.

Later I walked down to Holyrood Palace and gaped at all the flowers laid in the courtyard. I felt like Che in the opening scene of Evita when he sings "Oh what a circus". I didn't think Diana really had any time for Scotland so I thought it was all daft.  I do remember getting annoyed at the English press for saying that Brenda should immediately return to London from Balmoral- "she's Queen of Scots too you twats" I thought (even though I'm a republican).

On the day of the funeral I went for a walk in the Pentlands with my then bird to escape all the shite. Funnily enough there was a lot of other folk there too, bourgeois Edinburgh types you would have thought would have been glued to the TV. Came back home and Ma said "Earl Spencer really stuck it to the Royals in a speech". I suppose that was the most amusing part of it all.

Absolutely this.

My radio alarm went off at 7am (it was a Sunday but I liked being able to switch it off and go back to sleep) and they were playing the national anthem. Then the newsreader came on and said, "It is with regret that we announce the death of - " and I immediately thought it was the Queen Mother. Couldn't believe it when they said it was Diana. I got up and switched the TV on and as somebody else has said all the channels that weren't carrying the story had rolling captions telling people to switch to one that was.

Multi channel TV and social media have changed our society immensely (sometimes positively but certainly not always the case).

These shared moments are one big element of that. Massive breaking news is still a thing obviously but putting something on all the channels? That's never coming back.

Multi channel TV and social media have changed our society immensely (sometimes positively but certainly not always the case).

These shared moments are one big element of that. Massive breaking news is still a thing obviously but putting something on all the channels? That's never coming back.

Wait until wee Donny and Kim start chucking nukes about and then even the freeview on babestation will stop.

The downside of social media being that people don't feel the need to connect with one another face to face anymore. I said about the day after the accident how I remember how everyone was talking about it all and how bad it was with a burning desire to have their say on it to someone who will listen to them. Now you can do that on Facebook, twitter and a million other forms of social media that by the time people get round to actually talking about important issues face to face they haven't got that desire anymore as they have already got it out via social media. Is not a good thing at all and I hate to think how bad it will be in another 10 years time.

Archived