Falkirk v Queens

6 minutes ago, Trump said:

Only sad thing for Queens fans is despite him coming back, so far all it has resulted in is mid table second tier football. If this is a once in a generation type player and it's not exceeded their usual standing within the game, would be a bit of a gutter.

Trust me there is absolutely nothing sad about watching Stephen Dobbie play for your club. Journeyman like him only pop up once in a blue moon. 

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Trump said:

Fair enough if it wasn't for him you'd have been playing third tier football against the likes of Albion Rovers. A true saviour.

Talking of third tier football against the likes of Albion Rovers. Good luck next season m9. 

What kind of contract is Houston on as I heard a rumour today (from a reasonable source, an ex pro who claims to be ITK) that there is some role for him at Hearts as part of their managerial restructuring. Is this Houston giving up and not being very bothered but still wanting his contract paid up?

Expect this before the weekend lads.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

Fair enough if it wasn't for him you'd have been playing third tier football against the likes of Albion Rovers. A true saviour.

Indeed.

I know you're making the point as a sour grapes inspired dig, but it's actually valid.  We had a player good enough last season to single handedly keep our pitifully performing side out of trouble.

In his first spell, he was instrumental in the run to the Scottish Cup final, the high point of our entire history, so your suggestion that we've not capitalised on having him, is characteristically stupid.

Even leaving the tangible benefits of having him aside though, surely fans of the team that fielded Stainrod, Latapy and McAllister can appreciate the sheer joy that being able to watch Dobbie playing for your club, inspires.

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Indeed.

I know you're making the point as a sour grapes inspired dig, but it's actually valid.  We had a player good enough last season to single handedly keep our pitifully performing side out of trouble.

Its not really valid though is it? Its an unprovable opinion (& in his case possibly only said for a reaction). I dont disagree with your general point about how good it is to see Dobbie playing for us but I dont accept that without Dobbie we would as a matter of fact have been relegated. Maybe we would but without Dobbie undoubtedly someone else would have come in. A lesser player undoubtedly but I see no reason to assume we would have been so much worse as to be relegated.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Its not really valid though is it? Its an unprovable opinion (& in his case possibly only said for a reaction). I dont disagree with you general point about how good it is to see Dobbie playing for us but I dont accept that without Dobbie we would as a matter of fact have been relegated. Maybe we would but without Dobbie undoubtedly someone else would have cone in. A lesser player undoubtedly but I see no reason to assume we would have been so much worse as to be relegated.

Well, yes of course it's a mere opinion.  It can't be established as a fact that we'd have been relegated without him.  I think it's likely though.  We were rotten for most of the season, as we slid steadily down the table, yet we had the division's joint top scorer.  We survived really on account of our blistering first quarter, for which we really did owe a great deal to Dobbie.

Trump is obviously after some sort of reaction, which is why I said as much.  He's implying over a couple of posts though, that we've actually been no better off for having Dobbie.  I thought it was worth pointing out that he was talking nonsense.

28 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well, yes of course it's a mere opinion.  It can't be established as a fact that we'd have been relegated without him.  I think it's likely though.  We were rotten for most of the season, as we slid steadily down the table, yet we had the division's joint top scorer.  We survived really on account of our blistering first quarter, for which we really did owe a great deal to Dobbie.

Trump is obviously after some sort of reaction, which is why I said as much.  He's implying over a couple of posts though, that we've actually been no better off for having Dobbie.  I thought it was worth pointing out that he was talking nonsense.

Oh yes, I get why he said it and you are completely correct. We will have to agree to disagree though on tbe suggestion it is likely we would have gone down without him.

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

As a matter of interest; how many goals did Dobbie score that perhaps a different player may not have that gave you a win or draw?

Pretty piss question 

Even SD won't have weighed up his goals to a level of difficulty that a average striker wouldn't have scored

In saying that the answer is probably quite a few as he has scored some absolute screamers and goals he made himself.

4 hours ago, Trump said:

Is Dobbie a local lad? Or just fond of the club after enjoying his football there? These type of players are disappearing out of Scottish football, where the majority of players now will have more than one eye on the £.

The £10,000 a week he's on at Palmerston is not the reason he loves Queens and their supporters. I heard at the weekend that Barcelona have dropped their interest in Coutinho and have now switched their interest to Dobbie (even though he's only a "journeyman")

The £10,000 a week he's on at Palmerston is not the reason he loves Queens and their supporters. I heard at the weekend that Barcelona have dropped their interest in Coutinho and have now switched their interest to Dobbie (even though he's only a "journeyman")

You missed a 0.

Barca couldn't afford him, financial fair play won't allow it.

I disagree with Houstons comments on this journeyman patter but it's amazing how much it's gotten under your skin. Chill out bro.

1 hour ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Pretty piss question 

Even SD won't have weighed up his goals to a level of difficulty that a average striker wouldn't have scored

In saying that the answer is probably quite a few as he has scored some absolute screamers and goals he made himself.

It's maybe not such a piss question then?

Queens beat us 2-0 at the start of last season and Dobbie scored two great goals. Now, I'm not saying that you wouldn't have beaten us anyway however there's a good chance that, without him, you possibly wouldn't have won that day. I was just interested in how many times he scored goals that an 'ordinary' striker maybe wouldn't have therefore winning points that may have gone a long way to you achieving the position in the table that you did.

Just a bit of fun really however something that some Queens fans may be interested in debating?

Archived