Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian - 26th August, 2017

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Hopefully we hold on to Moult & Cadden in this transfer window as losing them would be an absolute hammer blow to us. Notably both of them were waving at the three home stands at the end today, hopefully that wasn't a goodbye wave but I fear it could well be. As I said earlier, Cadden was absolutely superb today and if there were any watching scouts at Fir Park today then he'll have done his chances of a big move no harm atall on that display today.

That sums up the sad state our game is in.

You can't blame the laddies if the chance of making a few bob comes their way, but teams are getting (or going to get) players like the two you mention for way under their true value.

I wish that our teams were in a position where decent fees or worthwhile clauses could be put into contracts.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I love Louis Moult, he's no better than a League 1/lower end Championship type of player.

Cadden has the potential to play a bit higher if he gets the rub of the green.

Going back to the game today, it was one of those ones where you're delighted to be a 'Well fan. Great atmosphere, players giving it their all, fantastic goal to win it.

I'm certainly enjoying the Saturday night beers!

It's the type of win that just feels so fucking satisfying.

We're up against one of the 'bigger' clubs, they bring a large support, the game was fast paced, they go 1-0 up yet we fight back to win it with a spectacular strike and could well have had a couple more and the large away support are sent back to Edinburgh with their tails between their legs.

We would have 100% lost that game last year after falling behind so it's great to see the spirit and will to win that Robinson has instilled in us since taking over. We may not be awash with quality players but we don't look like a side that will go down without a fight as soon as we concede as we did under McGhee.

That was the type of game & result that simply didn't exist for us last season - we've almost forgotten what it's like to beat a bigger club. Also by Motherwell standards, this is now a *really* good start to the season when the LC is added in - we've never been particularly fast starters.  Have to say - my intae it meter is higher this season than it's been for a few years - I like the team this season, even though we're still very rough round the edges.

PS - teams that have more clout in the media than us would (rightly) be making a bigger fuss about the number of clear, nailed-on goals we've been denied over the past 18 months - I can't remember anything like it. (BTW - no conspiracy theories or any of that pish, it's simply incompetence).

Had to go out for the day with my football-hating family so could only keep tabs on this via Livescore updates. Twice it sent me alerts of 3-1 Motherwell, both were followed instantly by "correction, 2-1" alerts. First must have been the one that the linesman didn't flag for, the second must have been the goal ruled out. Glad we held on for the win.

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

That's us already bettered our points tally against last season's top 5.

We were into May before we managed to win back to back league games as well. Not to mention the 2-1 win against Killie at Rugby Park in Robinson's first game in charge was the first time in almost a year that we'd won a league game after conceding first.

Suffice to say there's not a fucking chance we'd have won that game last year.

28 minutes ago, Swello said:

PS - teams that have more clout in the media than us would (rightly) be making a bigger fuss about the number of clear, nailed-on goals we've been denied over the past 18 months - I can't remember anything like it. (BTW - no conspiracy theories or any of that pish, it's simply incompetence).

Usually Box Office teams get help from the ref, but we're too Box Office.

56 minutes ago, Swello said:

That was the type of game & result that simply didn't exist for us last season - we've almost forgotten what it's like to beat a bigger club. Also by Motherwell standards, this is now a *really* good start to the season when the LC is added in - we've never been particularly fast starters.  Have to say - my intae it meter is higher this season than it's been for a few years - I like the team this season, even though we're still very rough round the edges.

There is a much better feel around the team and club this season that just hasn't been there the past three years and I think a solid (if unspectacular) League Cup group campaign followed by the win in Dingwall then back to back wins in the league against County and then Hearts, a side it's always great to beat, have helped with this.

If you think about how the last three seasons started for us, there was always something which seemed to put us on the backfoot from the off. In 2014 we had the Icelandic debacle then the complete collapse of McCall and the team, then a poor start in 2015 where we struggled in the league then lost to Morton in the Cup leading to Baraclough getting the bullet and McGhee returning; then last season we lost to Rangers and then heavily to Celtic in the league Cup early doors and we were on a downer we never recovered from. Last season we failed to string back to back wins together until May, we've matched that already this season and the players actually look as though they are enjoying their football again, something that just wasn't the case last year.

Looked a clear handball by hearts in the box in first half. His hands were up and out. Also the hearts defender was in the third row when he cleared the ball out the goal. Still, hearts weren't up to much and it was a well deserved win.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

I love the fact that Bowman, who has had zero breaks in front of goal, was looking at the linesman after he scored as it was clearly too good to be true :)

At the match I thought it was offside because he didn't celebrate.

Archived