Celtic v St Johnstone 26th August 2017

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

In the Celtic fans credit it looked pretty much full yesterday. 

I know they were selling champions league tickets but a full house against Saints isn't bad!

Our attendances have certainly improved this season and last, we're pretty much getting as close to a sell out as we can get these days, excluding Champions League and games against the rangers.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

Our attendances have certainly improved this season and last, we're pretty much getting as close to a sell out as we can get these days, excluding Champions League and games against the rangers.

Coinciding with Rangers* "return" which would suggest that whilst Celtic don't need their old rivals (even in their new form) to survive, the do need them to thrive.

Understandable as football is built the world over on local rivalries such as these.

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

Coinciding with Rangers* "return" which would suggest that whilst Celtic don't need their old rivals (even in their new form) to survive, the do need them to thrive.

Understandable as football is built the world over on local rivalries such as these.

That undoubtedly played a part for some Celtic fans renewing/actually bothering to show up at games.  Bringing in a manager of Rodgers calibre, the football we are playing and an undefeated domestic season certainly contributed to it also.

Just now, TheCelt67 said:

That undoubtedly played a part for some Celtic fans renewing/actually bothering to show up at games.  Bringing in a manager of Rodgers calibre, the football we are playing and an undefeated domestic season certainly contributed to it also.

Yeh Rodgers appointment certainly helped too. 

Definitely goes to show that you should be careful what you wish for. Most Hearts fans I know are happy Hibs are back up depite the probability of them pumping Hearts this season!

Did Celtics attendances suffer back in the Grieg/Wallace era of Rangers offering little competition? Different era I know but that would be the worry in the long term for Celtic.

3 minutes ago, sjc said:

Yeh Rodgers appointment certainly helped too. 

Definitely goes to show that you should be careful what you wish for. Most Hearts fans I know are happy Hibs are back up depite the probability of them pumping Hearts this season!

Did Celtics attendances suffer back in the Grieg/Wallace era of Rangers offering little competition? Different era I know but that would be the worry in the long term for Celtic.

I think fans in general are happy that there'll be an Edinburgh derby in the top flight, whilst you do get the odd stinker, it certainly has the potential to offer some cracking games.

If our attendances suffered during that time, it wouldn't have been by much.  Pretty much from the 1950's until Fergus McCann arrived, our average attendance was around the mid 20 mark.

5 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

I think fans in general are happy that there'll be an Edinburgh derby in the top flight, whilst you do get the odd stinker, it certainly has the potential to offer some cracking games.

If our attendances suffered during that time, it wouldn't have been by much.  Pretty much from the 1950's until Fergus McCann arrived, our average attendance was around the mid 20 mark.

You don't think the same fans that disappeared during Dailas reign will do so again if the competition becomes too easy? Will the presence of a Rangers, any Rangers be enough to keep them interested? 

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

You don't think the same fans that disappeared during Dailas reign will do so again if the competition becomes too easy? Will the presence of a Rangers, any Rangers be enough to keep them interested? 

There's always the chance of that happening but if we keep improving in the manner we are, I don't see it.  Also, in my opinion, there will certainly be that section who'll love lording it over rangers regardless of how weak they are.

18 hours ago, tree house tam said:

What I want to know, is what does Brendan see in Craig Gordon that no c**t else sees?

In fairness, he was basically the first player last year that Rodgers tried to replace. The problem was replacing him with someone who wasn't good enough either. Now means the next goalie he brings in has to be spot on, otherwise he'll have three first team goalies, none of which are really good enough.

4 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

There's always the chance of that happening but if we keep improving in the manner we are, I don't see it.  Also, in my opinion, there will certainly be that section who'll love lording it over rangers regardless of how weak they are.

Yeh fair points. Cheers for the good reasoned debate. 

20 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

In fairness, he was basically the first player last year that Rodgers tried to replace. The problem was replacing him with someone who wasn't good enough either. Now means the next goalie he brings in has to be spot on, otherwise he'll have three first team goalies, none of which are really good enough.

Gordon is a 9 million pound goalkeeper that cant pass the ball out to a team mate

Archived